• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisui Dex Discussion

Oh dear. I'm going to be so sad if Cranidos/Rampardos isn't in the game.

They could make them unique encounters, where you can only encounter one per save file, one that stayed isolated and didn’t go extinct, and is the last of its kind, or something like that.

Considering psychics are canon, would it be too much of a stretch to have a magician character who can revive fossils using magic?

Considering psychics are canon, would it be too much of a stretch to have a magician character who can revive fossils using magic?
Probably a big one.

I doubt they'd go that route unless the magician was a hack and tried to pass a Bulbasaur as a Sheildon. There's just way too much of a focus on science and technology in the series.

Probably a big one.

I doubt they'd go that route unless the magician was a hack and tried to pass a Bulbasaur as a Sheildon. There's just way too much of a focus on science and technology in the series.
You're saying it's a stretch to have a mage in our magical fighting monster series?

You're saying it's a stretch to have a mage in our magical fighting monster series?
Pretty much. I mean despite the setting and having magical creatures and psychics, there's still rules in place to make the series not go off the rails.

It would literally break the immersion if bringing back extinct creatures was so easy as a literal hand wave. I mean if there were actual necromancers, there probably wouldn't even be fossil researchers or museums as part of the world building.

Besides, there really isn't any indication of non-technological necromancers in the series and the only magician we had in the games was obsessed with a very fast dog-cat-thing.

"The ways of magic have been forgotten due to modernization" is a fairly common angle, though, which they could probably apply if they wanted to. There aren't any necromancers now, but maybe there could have been in the olden times?

Of course, even if we insist on an ancient-but-non-magical option for resurrecting Pokémon, we have some precedent...

Ultimate_Weapon.png

While I don't think Cranidos/Shieldon would fit in this game, they could always come out with new forms that, let's say, were the forms cranidos and shieldon evolved into during time before actually disappearing from the world (like 10 days after the time this game is set). A timeline like this:

1000 years ago: Cranidos/Shieldon.
150 years ago (Legends): altered Cranidos/Shieldon due to time evolution (but extremely rare maybe even only one for each of them in the game).
100 years ago: extinction.
today: Cranidos and Shieldon revitalized from fossils of 1000 years ago.

"The ways of magic have been forgotten due to modernization" is a fairly common angle, though, which they could probably apply if they wanted to. There aren't any necromancers now, but maybe there could have been in the olden times?

Of course, even if we insist on an ancient-but-non-magical option for resurrecting Pokémon, we have some precedent...

Ultimate_Weapon.png
Even then, what if the machine is related to what the researchers use to revive fossil pokemon? Maybe in his travels, AZ shared his notes on how to make a machine to revive Pokemon, but ommited the making them immortal part.

Even then, what if the machine is related to what the researchers use to revive fossil pokemon? Maybe in his travels, AZ shared his notes on how to make a machine to revive Pokemon, but ommited the making them immortal part.

The funny thing is, there may actually be something to what you're saying, although you have to be extremely nerdy to spot the connecting details. That's a bit beside the point, though. All I'm saying is, even if outright magic is out of the question - which I personally don't think it has to be, but hey - there's still room for the ancient past to have anachronistically advanced tech which could be used to revive fossils if the developers' whims so desire it. But if I'm being honest, I think they just won't have any fossil Pokémon here. Maybe as a sort of continuity nod, the actual fossil items can be included, but only as valuable relics to be sold or traded to an NPC or something.

On a similar note, I wonder what the over/under on Magnemite showing up is. Although you'd think it's one of those Pokémon like Voltorb that came about due to human technology advancing, X & Y included one in the flashback to AZ's war. That was 3,000 years ago, so Magnemite's been around for a long time - although I'm not sure Game Freak would remember such a minor detail. (After all, that flashback scene already contradicted Lunatone's "lore" of having been discovered only 40 years prior to RSE.)

(Incidentally, I also sometimes wonder if they even remember that according to Ruby & Sapphire, Castform is a man-made Pokémon as well. Which is kind of a shame - considering what Castform seems to be based on, it'd actually fit the setting pretty well. I vote in favor of retconning it.)

@SpinyShell @Cute Charm @Esserise @Joker901
If there’s going to be any sort of supernatural fossil restoration, I’d rather have it attributed to Aura rather than some random magician. It’s already an established concept that could really stand to be expanded upon in the games themselves as opposed to leaving it up to the expanded media to interpret. What better time is there to explore it than early Sinnoh?

@SpinyShell @Cute Charm @Esserise @Joker901
If there’s going to be any sort of supernatural fossil restoration, I’d rather have it attributed to Aura rather than some random magician. It’s already an established concept that could really stand to be expanded upon in the games themselves as opposed to leaving it up to the expanded media to interpret. What better time is there to explore it than early Sinnoh?
Come to think of it, Lucario and Ash used aura powers to help revive a dying tree/Mew in the movie. Aura does seem to have resurrection/rejuvenation powers.

Do you guys remember how many pokemon can be caught in Sinnoh? Not just pokemon in the Sinnoh dex, I mean all pokemon that are actually in Sinnoh (even in post game) between diamond, pearl and platinum.

Do you guys remember how many pokemon can be caught in Sinnoh? Not just pokemon in the Sinnoh dex, I mean all pokemon that are actually in Sinnoh (even in post game) between diamond, pearl and platinum.
Almost all 493. It’s easier to count the exceptions, actually:
-all non-Sinnoh starters
-all non-Sinnoh legendaries aside from Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Regice, Regirock, and Registeel
+Technically Arceus wasn’t obtainable

And that’s it lol. Everything else was obtainable within at least one of the three versions in some fashion. Though, several did require the dual slot function.

Almost all 493. It’s easier to count the exceptions, actually:
-all non-Sinnoh starters
-all non-Sinnoh legendaries aside from Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.
+Technically Arceus wasn’t obtainable

And that’s it lol. Everything else was obtainable within at least one of the three versions in some fashion. Though, several did require the dual slot function.

And the Regis, they're 3rd gen legendaries not in the Sinnoh Dex so they're exceptions to the "non-Sinnoh legendaries" part too.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom