• Do you use Discord? Do you like catching Pokémon? Have you heard of Elaria? If you answered yes to the first two, you should give it a go! Professor Tilia is always looking for new people to help fill her Living Dex!

It just so happens she is hosting an event right now, where you could even get your own Pokémon form added into the game! Details can be found over in the Elaria discord server, right here
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • What happened to the Pokemon GO section?

Hey all! We wanted to let everyone know that the Pokemon GO section has officially been merged into the Pokemon Video Games section. You can find more information in this thread.

• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

The Situation Room 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
memes
Reaction score
How do people as both a host and a player feel about rules? I feel like often people include so many of the usual stuff in their rules I hardly even fully read rules when signing up. Like I just realised the rules for my mafia don't specifically say you can't post after death but it's become such common sense I feel like it's not even neccesary at this point. As a host, do you make sure to include as much as you can in the rules or do you prefer to keep it short and to the point? And as a player do you actually read the rules if they look like they're gonna be the same as always, or do you just skip it? What if it states the rules are directly copied from another game (like flop's current game)? I'm interested to see what other people think and do on this.

Reaction score
I try to make them simple and usually I'll skim them just to look for things like the rules on screenshots. When the rules are overly detailed its a pain to read and really some don't need to be stated, such as after death posting.

Notification King 1111
Reaction score
Well then, I guess I will have to make it. Fair warning to those that told me to, don't expect it to be an amazing game, but it should be interesting.

@Mijzelffan; Quite honestly, I don't normally read the rules. I assume the same rules apply for each game. I skim them and notice the parts that are bolded, and check and make sure nothing is overly strange. As well as make sure there isn't a special "If you read the rules do this" but that is why I don't normally signup first, I see the others do it or get yelled at for not doing it : P

Lovely
Reaction score
I try to read everything as a player in case of the "include [this] in your post when you sign up" requirement. But since many of the rules overlap with the forum rules in general, I think most of the rules can be summarized into one "all forum rules apply."

If I get to host again, I'm planning on making the rules super short.

Co-ordinator of Chaos
Reaction score
I, as a host, like to include the rules for the sake of new players so that they understand. As a player, I skim-read.

So you want to be a hero?
Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked that any of us doesn't always read the rules for each game. I specifically check out the ones regarding private communications and claiming, as assuming the wrong thing could really set a game off balance. Also, I'd hate for newcomers to break a rule that the veterans know is usually true, jet because it isn't stated.

(This is probably because for my first game hosting, I'm intending to have a 'no private comms' rule, and I'm kind of paranoid that nobody's going to read it and PM normally. I'd better make it obvious.)

bonsoir je m'appelle lafayette
Reaction score
I tend to read the rules before even trying to sign up for a game.

Even though I've never hosted before and I know that hosts have a lot going on already with setting things up, I prefer rules to be less condensed than to have them in paragraph form, so then I don't feel a need to skim sometimes.

If one thinks that something bolded doesn't stand out, use another color or [highlight]highlight it[/highlight], please.

Do note that you can change the color of the highlight like you can with the color tag.
Code:
[noparse][highlight]highlight thing[/highlight][/noparse]
Thanks to @Human; I now check the OP to see whether I can necrolike now. :spin:

Iron From Ice
Reaction score
How do people as both a host and a player feel about rules? I feel like often people include so many of the usual stuff in their rules I hardly even fully read rules when signing up. Like I just realised the rules for my mafia don't specifically say you can't post after death but it's become such common sense I feel like it's not even neccesary at this point. As a host, do you make sure to include as much as you can in the rules or do you prefer to keep it short and to the point? And as a player do you actually read the rules if they look like they're gonna be the same as always, or do you just skip it? What if it states the rules are directly copied from another game (like flop's current game)? I'm interested to see what other people think and do on this.
As a player, I make sure to read the rules. If there is something I can abuse or take advantage of, then I'll push that until the host changes it. As well, the rules usually give framework to the kind of game the host is looking for, and it's easier to infer information and roles based off of that. I feel like I'd be starting already behind by not reading the rules.

As a host, I always mess around with my rules and try to leave loopholes. A game is more fun when players are involved and constantly pushing the envelope. If something a player does is too strong for any faction, I may amend the rules, but I tend to let them reap the benefits of finding anything first.

As well, if I have any interesting modifications to the usual format in my game, I tend to post about it several times before leaving it up to others to find it on their own.

mientes
Reaction score
reading the rules is important because as @Neonsands; pointed out, the potential for loophole abuse is high

like some games prevent name/role claiming/faking role pm's what have you but some don't --or you can find ways to circumvent these rules. for example in 5d's mafia we were prevented from name claiming - but we could claim player's decks which was essentially the same thing

and you can use that to your liking :3

Co-ordinator of Chaos
Reaction score
I have a plan.
Song mafia, based on Eurovision this year - Europe vs The Imposters (Israel, Georgia, Turkey, Russia, Australia)
What do people think?

King of Luxray
Reaction score
I don't recall Australia ever competing, but that they were just big fans. If you make one I want to Malta :M.

Co-ordinator of Chaos
Reaction score
Apparently they're letting one outsider compete each year because why not?
Did you see UK's entry for this year?

bonsoir je m'appelle lafayette
Reaction score
America would make an awesome independent, imo.

Can't wait for this year's Eurovision.

memes
Reaction score
I have a plan.
Song mafia, based on Eurovision this year - Europe vs The Imposters (Israel, Georgia, Turkey, Russia, Australia)
What do people think?
Turkey and Russia are half in Europe and why would you include Georgia but not Armenia and Azerbaijan? Also Australia is getting to compete 1 time because it's an anniversary (60 years I think?) and Australia has by far the highest viewership of eurovision of any non-european country, which brings in good money for eurovision. Actually they get to compete a second time if they win, but they can't host in Australia if they do.

Co-ordinator of Chaos
Reaction score
Turkey and Russia are half in Europe and why would you include Georgia but not Armenia and Azerbaijan? Also Australia is getting to compete 1 time because it's an anniversary (60 years I think?) and Australia has by far the highest viewership of eurovision of any non-european country, which brings in good money for eurovision. Actually they get to compete a second time if they win, but they can't host in Australia if they do.
I'd do research on all the countries. Border countries could be independents.

Status
Not open for further replies.