• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like the right place so I gotta ask. What's mafia and where'd I need to go to play it man?
Go to the war room (mafia games) sections. I think there is a game still needed people to be started...

You also can read old archieves to see how it usually running...

This looks like the right place so I gotta ask. What's mafia and where'd I need to go to play it man?
mafia is a game of lies and deceit where the town (the majority, don't know teammates) try to eliminate the mafia (usually 1/4, in communication with each other) by voting them out during day phases and the mafia try to eliminate the town by getting them to vote for each other and killing one town member every night phase. You play it in any thread here in the War Room marked Mafia:

Stealing the playing guide summary
A mafia game is, in its simplest form, a contest of strategy, cooperation and social skills between a majority armed with numbers and a minority armed with knowledge about players' alignment. The key to each game is for players to strategize, coordinate and use logic to defeat the opposing team.

Currently Mass Effect Mafia by DrumBeats is taking signups. It doesn't matter if you haven't played Mass Effec or Mafia before

Hmm well is anyone willing to co host, if not I can't promise reborn faction game will turn out great.

Yeah, I still have everything to decide, I might not dip it till you're mafia is almost over, since I want to play.

Don't worry I still have my win conditions, characters, and rules to decide.

Should I host Steven universe Mafia or sdr2 mafia first? I'll probably start either on my birthday (31st) or that weekend as I leave work at the end of August so no six hour daily commutes and my social life will return to being nonexistent....both have the roles figured out, but logistics and game mechanics still need to be sorted out for both

Should I host Steven universe Mafia or sdr2 mafia first? I'll probably start either on my birthday (31st) or that weekend as I leave work at the end of August so no six hour daily commutes and my social life will return to being nonexistent....both have the roles figured out, but logistics and game mechanics still need to be sorted out for both
I can relate with sdr2 mafia more, so I suggest that. Any would be nice.
Just keep in mind that Chaos Mafia will probably start on August 29.

Out of curiousity, what is the purpose of the no name-claim rule?

I mean, if I tell people I am Ash, to me it doesn't seem like it'd change the game anymore than telling people I am the cop.

Am I making sense?
but it does.
Name claiming makes the game unfair on players who don't know the theme, unless the host is willing to help. For example, I may be given Voldemort, but not know Harry Potter. I'd have a really hard time finding a character to claim, as I don't know what characters would be most likely used.
There's also the fact that you could ask everyone to name claim and the most obscure characters are most likely mafia.

Out of curiousity, what is the purpose of the no name-claim rule?
Let's say we are playing Mickey Mouse Mafia.
You claim Mickey Mouse. No one counterclaims.
No one will expect Mickey Mouse to be scum.
So you are confirmed town without outing your role.

Also, it is difficult for scum to come up with good fake nameclaims.
Their characters are villain-ish so they can't nameclaim them.
Most good characters are in the setup as town, so claiming them will get them counterclaimed by town.

tl;dr town benefits too much from it

That's why I'm allowing name claiming in my mafia - the mafia can choose any character they like or even claim their own characters. There are villain characters in my game, but they might not be mafia :)

Then even in games with large amounts of potential characters (such as say Mass Effect or Fire Emblem Awakening) the main character and typically one or two other highly featured characters are instantly confirmed townies. Name claiming is too powerful unless in a situation such as Flopunny's. One way to balance out name claiming in my opinion is to give the mafia a converter role. That way they can convert someone who was thought to be innocent and then nobody suspects it until the converter dies, and even then they have to figure out who was converted.

Another way to balance nameclaiming is giving the mafia safeclaims.
As in, names they can claim to look town, with host confirmation that no townie has them as characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom