• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people as both a host and a player feel about rules? I feel like often people include so many of the usual stuff in their rules I hardly even fully read rules when signing up. Like I just realised the rules for my mafia don't specifically say you can't post after death but it's become such common sense I feel like it's not even neccesary at this point. As a host, do you make sure to include as much as you can in the rules or do you prefer to keep it short and to the point? And as a player do you actually read the rules if they look like they're gonna be the same as always, or do you just skip it? What if it states the rules are directly copied from another game (like flop's current game)? I'm interested to see what other people think and do on this.

I try to make them simple and usually I'll skim them just to look for things like the rules on screenshots. When the rules are overly detailed its a pain to read and really some don't need to be stated, such as after death posting.

Well then, I guess I will have to make it. Fair warning to those that told me to, don't expect it to be an amazing game, but it should be interesting.

@Mijzelffan; Quite honestly, I don't normally read the rules. I assume the same rules apply for each game. I skim them and notice the parts that are bolded, and check and make sure nothing is overly strange. As well as make sure there isn't a special "If you read the rules do this" but that is why I don't normally signup first, I see the others do it or get yelled at for not doing it : P

I try to read everything as a player in case of the "include [this] in your post when you sign up" requirement. But since many of the rules overlap with the forum rules in general, I think most of the rules can be summarized into one "all forum rules apply."

If I get to host again, I'm planning on making the rules super short.

I'm kind of shocked that any of us doesn't always read the rules for each game. I specifically check out the ones regarding private communications and claiming, as assuming the wrong thing could really set a game off balance. Also, I'd hate for newcomers to break a rule that the veterans know is usually true, jet because it isn't stated.

(This is probably because for my first game hosting, I'm intending to have a 'no private comms' rule, and I'm kind of paranoid that nobody's going to read it and PM normally. I'd better make it obvious.)

I tend to read the rules before even trying to sign up for a game.

Even though I've never hosted before and I know that hosts have a lot going on already with setting things up, I prefer rules to be less condensed than to have them in paragraph form, so then I don't feel a need to skim sometimes.

If one thinks that something bolded doesn't stand out, use another color or [highlight]highlight it[/highlight], please.

Do note that you can change the color of the highlight like you can with the color tag.
Code:
[noparse][highlight]highlight thing[/highlight][/noparse]

Thanks to @Human; I now check the OP to see whether I can necrolike now. :spin:

How do people as both a host and a player feel about rules? I feel like often people include so many of the usual stuff in their rules I hardly even fully read rules when signing up. Like I just realised the rules for my mafia don't specifically say you can't post after death but it's become such common sense I feel like it's not even neccesary at this point. As a host, do you make sure to include as much as you can in the rules or do you prefer to keep it short and to the point? And as a player do you actually read the rules if they look like they're gonna be the same as always, or do you just skip it? What if it states the rules are directly copied from another game (like flop's current game)? I'm interested to see what other people think and do on this.

As a player, I make sure to read the rules. If there is something I can abuse or take advantage of, then I'll push that until the host changes it. As well, the rules usually give framework to the kind of game the host is looking for, and it's easier to infer information and roles based off of that. I feel like I'd be starting already behind by not reading the rules.

As a host, I always mess around with my rules and try to leave loopholes. A game is more fun when players are involved and constantly pushing the envelope. If something a player does is too strong for any faction, I may amend the rules, but I tend to let them reap the benefits of finding anything first.

As well, if I have any interesting modifications to the usual format in my game, I tend to post about it several times before leaving it up to others to find it on their own.

reading the rules is important because as @Neonsands; pointed out, the potential for loophole abuse is high

like some games prevent name/role claiming/faking role pm's what have you but some don't --or you can find ways to circumvent these rules. for example in 5d's mafia we were prevented from name claiming - but we could claim player's decks which was essentially the same thing

and you can use that to your liking :3

I have a plan.
Song mafia, based on Eurovision this year - Europe vs The Imposters (Israel, Georgia, Turkey, Russia, Australia)
What do people think?

I don't recall Australia ever competing, but that they were just big fans. If you make one I want to Malta :M.

America would make an awesome independent, imo.

Can't wait for this year's Eurovision.
rainbowalfredplz.gif

I have a plan.
Song mafia, based on Eurovision this year - Europe vs The Imposters (Israel, Georgia, Turkey, Russia, Australia)
What do people think?

Turkey and Russia are half in Europe and why would you include Georgia but not Armenia and Azerbaijan? Also Australia is getting to compete 1 time because it's an anniversary (60 years I think?) and Australia has by far the highest viewership of eurovision of any non-european country, which brings in good money for eurovision. Actually they get to compete a second time if they win, but they can't host in Australia if they do.

Turkey and Russia are half in Europe and why would you include Georgia but not Armenia and Azerbaijan? Also Australia is getting to compete 1 time because it's an anniversary (60 years I think?) and Australia has by far the highest viewership of eurovision of any non-european country, which brings in good money for eurovision. Actually they get to compete a second time if they win, but they can't host in Australia if they do.
I'd do research on all the countries. Border countries could be independents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom