• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH tho HGSS did put Crystal to shame, so...
1/4 is a terrible track record for remakes, though. Besides, HGSS actually Incorperated Crystal elements to it, which makes it a more of a hybrid remake of GSC than just a remake of GS. If FRLG hadn’t been so bland, if ORAS had incorporated Emerald bits into it (namely, Emerald’s superior story of fighting both Aqua and Magma and the Batlle Frontier), and if the DP remakes include Platinum elements to it (again, namely the vastly superior story and locations like The Distortion World), then they would be better than their predecessors.

As things stand, I don’t trust Game Freak or Nintendo to outdo themselves as far as Platinum goes.

It's impossible to know who voted for what on a Poll. They're anonymous. The option "Display Votes Public" doesn't actually show who voted what. It just makes it so anyone can see the results of the poll no matter their inherrent permissions.

It surprises me how little you know about your own software. Just look at the poll in this thread. Click on the options, and guess what, you can see who voted for what.

Last edited:
It surprises me how little you know about your own software. Just look at the poll im this thread. Click on the options, and guess what, you can see who voted for what.
I knew it was somewhere but I tried everything for 10 min to try and find how it was concluding it wasn't possible even though I was sure it was :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just a question: Is there a way to block outside people from voting?

EDIT: Outside as in "not a game participant".

You could just make it public and punish people if they do.

You do realize you are talking about a site that has sent people to the finals of the Mafia championship, something that this site has never been able to accomplish?
To be fair, five (5) people who were in the hydra game made it to the champs, including a finalist

You can keep trying to offend me if you want, my answers stand... and Dylan’s post reinforces some of them.
I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just trying to make you understand where I am coming from. Anyway, with the game I am hosting, you now have a perfect opportunity to try out this system so we should stop arguing

I'm not really sure why is such hate for the poll system there tbh. Can someone explain how exactly can that be damaging to the game?
Not really buying the "Lack of vote history, Stealth votes" stuff.

For the former the host can still just keep posting votals at certain points of the phase so players can keep a basic track of it like usual.
It won't be a full record, but, I mean, if you see a suspicious/stealth vote you can always call the person out, which will make their actions public.
Actually, if anything, it can make things more interesting too, cuz it can add a whole new meta to some games. Since it's hard to keep track of the votes can you imagine all the ways players could use that to pressure or to deceive other players? It kinda rewards being constantly active in the game, and paying attention to it; which sounds really nice to me.

And for the latter, I mean, if a person keeps stealth voting, that tells us a story too, doesn't it?
I don't really see how is that any different from a person that just throws their vote in-thread without any explanation, and why it should cause different reactions to the players. The excuses will be the same, the results will be the same. Why is one of these somewhat accepted and the other one looked down on?

Last edited:
Voting roles would be the largest issue with the poll if the host doesn't make sure to keep track of that stuff. Though if the host doesn't keep their own vote count separate from the poll, then they're not doing the best job.

A poll isn't bad, and would help players see where the voting is at at all times, assuming everyone makes sure to change their vote on it accordingly, but it's not something super groundbreaking or super useful. Really it's only true use is for the players to see the current vote count without having to go and dig and look themselves.

Even if there wasn't any problems with it, why bother with it? Don't try to fix what isn't broken.
It doesn't hurt to try something new. If it doesn't go over well then just don't do it again.

Like children in Fire Emblem. Which is why we don't have them in Three Houses...hopefully.

Rather than thinking like that why not think "Try to improve what's improvable"? :whistle:
There are two rules that I live by:
Do not fix what isn't broken and

KISS. KISS principle - Wikipedia

Either way, I've given my answer. I like the old system. It works, it has no flaws, and it isn't broken.

EDIT: I just found a flaw in the system... XenForo's poll system doesn't allow for Unvote

Last edited:
There are two rules that I live by:
Do not fix what isn't broken and

KISS. KISS principle - Wikipedia

Either way, I've given my answer. I like the old system. It works, it has no flaws, and it isn't broken.

EDIT: I just found a flaw in the system... XenForo's poll system doesn't allow for Unvote
There should be an option when making the poll to allow people to change their votes. Changing the vote would be taken as unvote. Unless you mean unvote as completely remove your vote completely. In that case the host should be making sure to have a blank option as representative of the default vote option of nothingness.

Typically on TS, there isn't a no vote option on the polls. Typically though, I tend to find that not having my vote on someone is a waste of my vote. I'd be willing to include it if you like though.

Typically on TS, there isn't a no vote option on the polls. Typically though, I tend to find that not having my vote on someone is a waste of my vote. I'd be willing to include it if you like though.
I would say include it. Here's its an option for people, and something we use.

For the former the host can still just keep posting votals at certain points of the phase so players can keep a basic track of it like usual.
Doesn’t this, at least partially, defeat the purpose of having the poll system in the first place?
Part of the point of the poll system, as I understand it, is to replace the votals, since that’s more work from the host and hosts can be inaccurate in tabulating the votals.

Doesn’t this, at least partially, defeat the purpose of having the poll system in the first place?
Part of the point of the poll system, as I understand it, is to replace the votals, since that’s more work from the host and hosts can be inaccurate in tabulating the votals.

Even so, the poll system makes posting votals much easier if that's what the host wants to do.

Rather than substituting, I was interpreting them as complementing each other.

And I mean, there's no reason to be afraid of a host error in the votals of games using a poll, as they can just post them as a screenshot of the poll.

The only problem I can see with this is if the host neglects to post the phase changes on the proper time, because people might change their votes. But, I mean, any member can screenshot the votals at the inteded time to help them. It's pretty effortless and useful, so why not?

Even in the case of manual votals, yea, they are still important in the games that have explict vote modifiers. But even so, the poll system should reduce the chances of the host miscounting the votes since it requires just a quick look instead of backtracking the whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom