• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The smell of outer space

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong section for this thread I believe. Science and technology would be the right place.

Anyway I don't think there's a smell since there's no air.

Why don't you go check?

The flowers at your funeral will smell like roses.

Soace doesn't have a smell. And those who have smelled it aren't with us anymore.

You have no way of inhaling in space because there is nothing to inhale.

That said, I think it smells like cheesecake.

You have no way of inhaling in space because there is nothing to inhale.

Contrary to popular belief, Out Space is not a perfect vacuum. There's actually a handful of Hydrogen particles per cubic centimeter. That said, the amount of Hydrogen probably isn't enough that it would produce a scent strong enough to be picked up by the human nose.

A probe should be made with a sterile collecting device that can simply suck up some sample particles, then open it up in a pressurized environment and smell away. Simple.

Contrary to popular belief, Out Space is not a perfect vacuum. There's actually a handful of Hydrogen particles per cubic centimeter. That said, the amount of Hydrogen probably isn't enough that it would produce a scent strong enough to be picked up by the human nose.

Umm, I know that bro. Try inhaling a handful of hydrogen electrons. At high altitude on earth's surface it becomes difficult to breathe to the point where you need an oxygen supply. Try doing it in low earth orbit.

A probe should be made with a sterile collecting device that can simply suck up some sample particles, then open it up in a pressurized environment and smell away. Simple.

Particles of space? K, go for it.

They could easily send it up in a satellite, collect, and bring back to Earth. Perhaps duplicate it and market it as "Eau de Space" perfume.

That... actually sounds kinda cool...

It's space bro, there are no particles to collect. There are trace amounts of atomic atmospheric gasses (which is really cool, because it causes spacecraft in low earth orbits to glow a little bit when they react with the surface), but that's only in low earth orbit, and besides, we have plenty of atmospheric gasses down here.

Also, the question was "what do you guys think outer space smells like" not "what do you think low earth orbit smells like."

Hmmm... good point. But I'd still like to be able to buy "Essence of the Stars" at Wal-Mart.

Then just make something up and call it that. I'm sure someone will buy it. No satellite launch required.

I always thought it would smell like the inside of a hospital.

I've heard that space suits gain a specific odor when outside the craft.

I think if it smells like burning, it's probably a result of colliding with atomic atmospheric gasses at 17,000+ mph.

Weird that the trace amounts of particles around our little blue rock would react with our nasal nerve endings as a burning smell... that totally surprised me. Although, now that I think about it, could it (just maybe) be the reaction of the "cold" space particles with the warm pressurized cabin environment? Just a thought...

The fact that they have to repressurize just so that the astronauts can get a whiff leaves me very doubtful. It could be something in the air used to fill the air lock and not space itself. If it were somehow possible to smell in space without dieing, I doubt it would have a smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom