• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The sound of your voice?

My voice sounds very very different from what I'm used to hearing. Like, for me, what I hear, is a much lower, more androgynous sound and if you watched the above clip or heard me on VC before you'll know that's not it. I much prefer what I hear when I talk; aside from being quite fond of the androgynous quality I'm used to hearing, I just find the exact pitch of my voice on recordings kinda grating. Not the biggest fan.

Last edited:
Oddly, I actually much prefer how my voice sounds when it's recorded. My voice as I hear it has a rather awkward strained quality, as if I'm forcing myself to speak (which I am sometimes, admittedly, but not all the time), but in recordings it sounds a lot more natural and expressive. It doesn't sound like me, but it sounds better than what I hear. Either way, I speak so little that I actually don't have a good idea of what my voice sounds like: I can recognize my voice, of course, but I can't reliably picture it in my head.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that my pitch tends to get higher when I'm speaking a different language. I'm not really sure why, but I suspect it might have to do with lack of confidence, since I generally sound higher when I'm nervous, and when I'm speaking another language I often get anxious about making mistakes.

I don’t like listening to my voice. I especially don’t like listening to it when I give public speaking. I don’t sound too nervous or anything though it’s just the pitch of my voice.

I would like to talk in a deeper pitch though I can’t be as expressive and it’s hard to speak loudly.

I do wish I had a wider range of pitch I could speak/sing in. I wish I had a voice similar to a young Paul McCartney though I think I can survive for now.

I honestly have no idea what to think of my voice?

I feel like I my speaking voice is slightly on the deeper side for a girl.. but when I sing I sound like a light lyric soprano. I think I can easily surprise people if I were to sing in front of them because of that, but I don't really sing in public and most people don't even know I can sing because I'm not very open about it.

I definitely prefer the sound of the voice in my head over the actual voice. My head voice is higher and hyper-er, but what others hear is lower and more drawling in nature. This isn't helped by the fact my words tend to blur together for others but not really to myself.

I don't share recordings of myself with other people unless I'm required to for this very reason. I just never sound quite right to me.

I find it fascinating how most people here really don’t like their voice, haha (with myself being one of them, of course). Are human voices just really not that great in general, or perhaps we’re all just really self-conscious of ourselves about it because it’s the one thing about ourselves that we’re exposed to all the time? As for me, although I’m self-conscious about my own voice a lot, I find that I barely even pay attention to anyone else’s voices or how they sound whenever I encounter people in my daily life. I don’t know if that’s true for anyone else, but at least in some cases perhaps that shows that us disliking our voices is another of many cases where we agonize over something that most people don’t actually care about as much as we think we do? Who knows…

i like the sound of my voice when i'm just speaking, but it sounds... grotesque whenever i'm excited (gets all high-pitched and squeaky) or upset (gets all gross and warbly). i'd say my "normal" voice is similar to anna graves in her role as naoto shirogane.

on the plus side, i can do a really good xanthe huynh impression, so i can't really complain at the end of the day.

My voice is like… kind of deeper than some people my age but also not? There’s a sort of edge to it if you know what I mean, but I think it fits my personality pretty well (it’s like, sometimes sounds like I just recovered from a cold? If you know what I mean , like the quality of my voice, especially on video, and it has this sort of awkward sound that I can’t describe too… but fits me well)

Edit: I can also sound annoyed sometimes. Like, when I am trying to sound annoyed, I feel like the point gets across pretty well.

And my voice Is loud. That was more of a problem when I was younger, but now it’s ok I guess

Edit again: I don’t hate my voice, I just honestly thought I would sound a lot more… excited? In terms of it fitting with my personality. I feel like recently I have been acting a bit more annoyed around certain people (I guess I am) so it’s ok

I like public speaking, I like the sort of leadership sort of feel to it, but I hate when people get my voice on video. It just sounds so… wrong. And I talk pretty fast according to
A lot of people, which I did not notice before

Last edited:
Hearing it differently than anyone else (Nasally), average.

But yeah trying to table the self-hate for sounding like I'm stuffed up.

I consider my voice merely tolerable.

It's quite frill and a bit nasally and it can be kinda hard to take it seriously at times, but I can also pass as sounding feminine-ish at times and I get called "ma'am" quite a bit on phone calls and stuff so that's cool at least.

I don't love my voice, but it could've been worse

Last edited:
I don't really mind my voice that much. I only really think about it when I'm singing, which I enjoy doing, and on the few occasions I've recorded myself, mainly for class assignments. I have a baritone voice, which I actually don't mind as far as fitting my gender. I'm still usually called by masculine terms by strangers, but while my voice probably does contribute to that somewhat, I think it's mainly because I'm not really openly queer in public, dress pretty plainly, and have a pretty conventionally masculine body type, so it seems to me that people assume I'm a dude with long hair even before I open my mouth. While that isn't how I would prefer to be read, I don't dislike being read that way, and I don't really blame or resent my voice for how people read me.

I actually happen to have a recording of my singing voice handy, from an assignment for a college aural skills class (ear training for musicians). Listening back to it, it really doesn't sound all that different to how it sounds in my head. A bit thinner and scratchier, maybe, but I don't have the kind of revulsion towards my recorded voice that a lot of people do.

Back
Top Bottom