• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Sounding Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be fair. Hard, but fair. Player characters should only die if they aren't careful or do something stupid. Anyways, I mean the PCs should be the only ones in their race who have the power. It's just cooler that way.

Sky Flame Haze is right. The emphasis is on extreme emotional instability or focus. Everyone has the potential, it's just that most Chosen never reach that breaking point. Continuing the TTGL analogy, all humans have access to Spiral Power, but only Simon and the rest of Team Dai-Gurren ever really unleash it.

As for the Nintendo Hard aspect, remember, the Ancestral Host is freaking billions of years old. Old parts die of it die off all the time, and new parts are born, so it's not truly invincible, but its size is still practically inconceivable. The Chosen have one worldship at their disposal, no matter how powerful. The Host has galaxies. Until we get to something on par with the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann itself, the Chosen will always receive increasing amounts of pressure from the Host.

Essentially, consider the Sliding Scale of Villain Threat. The Host will simply use as much power as they believe is necessary to destroy the Chosen, and up it every time they're beaten.

What I mean is that you can't kill someone's character without their consent first unless they're not other option but if there isn't stated in the RP that players have to be prepared for their characters to die then they shouldn't just kill them off for their choices cause then you're basically having people freak out about everything they're going to do because they don't want to get killed and that's not as much fun.

Besides a mistake doesn't necessarily mean death.

And yes for a selected group to have to be the only ones would be cool...and cliched it's better if everyone has the chance of obtaining that ability but only a selected few can actually unlock it.

Oh, I see. I thought, like, it would be everyone tapping into it on a regular basis or something.

You act like that's a bad thing. I like your idea. I'd definitely join. Ever play Paranoia? Maybe make it based off of that, kinda. Except maybe less killing each other. That doesn't work well in here.

Yeah, probably no killing... it'd be based off of the anime, and no one can die there anyway... But hmm... that's an idea, I'll see if I can come up with something for a Rocket RP over the Xmas Break.

Hello all!

I, The Mysterious Master Mew, have returned from a short sabbatical, bringing fresh, bold new ideas (as well as some new angles on old ones) for the New Year!

Recently, for various reasons, it seems to me that the winds of change have shifted their favor to new genres. To my own surprise, I find myself gradually stepping back from the Sci-Fi angle I've employed near-ceaselessly as the Fantasy genre becomes ever more appealing.

To cut to the chase, rather than bore you with all the details, I've begun working on something - maybe a roleplay, maybe not, depending on the reception. I can promise you this: It won't be another Armeira. I've learned my lesson, I'll come back to tame that beast another day. This will be a more controlled experience (relatively, that is), in a world far more thoroughly thought out. The search for truth will be a dominant theme, in a world where, much like our own, little is certain. You'll carve out your own path, but the task of adding depth and meaning to the world around you will not fall entirely on you as it has in the past with my projects. I assure you, in this case, I'll be working out the details for you in advance; you'll know what world you're stepping into.

Matter of fact, I'm constructing an authoritative history of the world. The majority of it will be hidden from prying eyes, to be released at opportune times, and to select characters.

The working title of this authoritative text, which will exist in the world of the roleplay as a physical book, is this: Abyssi Verum

Feedback and suggestions are welcome. The specific topic I would appreciate comments on is this: In what ways could Armeira have been executed more effectively?

I look forward to your insights!

It needs plot. A lot of people say that inactivity causes RPs to die. That's true, but I think the main cause of inactivity is lack of plot. Also, it would help a lot if everyone started in the same place.

Also, it would help a lot if everyone started in the same place.
You think so?

Hmm... I may need to rethink things. I actually like the idea of everyone starting out on their own, individual journey - then meeting up with each other later when their paths cross. But I've always skewed to the side of independent character development over direct interaction.

I have a second question for discussion, then: Am I the only one who enjoys giving their character considerable amounts of "alone time" to develop independent of everyone else?

I realize that if the characters aren't spending any time together then this quickly becomes a project for the Writer's Workshop, rather than the Roleplay District, but I would hope we could arrive somewhere near the middle between the two extremes. When the goal is to create a world where you can be anything you want to be, the idea of everyone working together toward the same goals seems to damage plausibility.

The problem with that is that people would be solely on their own meaning that it could get kind of boring cause basically you're just writing for yourself rather than for the rest of the RP. Sounds more like a fic when you have all the characters having to move along on their own especially when RPs are about characters banding together.

That being said I don't think alone time is bad for character development but too much of it just makes it boring even in fics they are better if you have more than just one character doing something on their own.

Well, the distinction between it and a fic would be the fact that there are other people involved, and that their decisions will have, at the very least, indirect consequences on your character(s). I guess my ideal roleplay would really err more on the side of a cooperative fic than a "traditional" roleplay.

Nevertheless, I'm not advocating for characters to spend their whole lives apart, I'm just suggesting that they spend a good deal of time developing individually. Perhaps somewhere in the range of 25-45% of their time alone ("alone" meaning away from other players' characters, not necessarily away from NPCs).

Yes, there will be specific events unfolding that will affect everyone, though I have no intention of forcing everyone to the same side of the conflict.

One-sided conflicts are so boring, after all. :p

I don't think it's good, just because it's easier to do it off screen. Or just post what your character is thinking. And a large part of RPs is that it's a group effort.

Players and GMs also tend to have wildly divergent goals and ideas. More often than not, without a strong plot or a unifying goal tying everyone together, the RP just kind of spirals aimlessly. Though judging from the scale of what you're proposing, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Players and GMs also tend to have wildly divergent goals and ideas. More often than not, without a strong plot or a unifying goal tying everyone together, the RP just kind of spirals aimlessly. Though judging from the scale of what you're proposing, that might not necessarily be a bad thing.
You know me so well... :p

Yes, as always, the "scale" of this project tips toward Epic. Go big or go home, as far as I'm concerned.

There will be a unifying conflict, however I do not intend for it to be so binding as to totally eliminate the possibility of more apathetic characters emerging who would rather turn a blind eye - or worse, exploit the distraction for the furtherance of their own goals. The inaction of the apathetic could be their own undoing, or perhaps not. Who's to say?

EDIT: Also, at this stage in the planning, I've condensed and consolidated responsibilities down to the point of most likely needing two Co-GMs to help things run as smoothly as possible. At a minimum, each position would entail filling the shoes of three significant, though rather removed, characters in the plot. For reasons I don't wish to disclose at the moment, this would also mean that said Co-GMs, along with myself, would be barred from creating "regular" characters to participate in the storyline - at least to begin with.

Let me know if you are seriously interested in serving in such a capacity (Note: In the unlikely event that there are numerous interested parties, it should be said that the selection of Co-GMs will not be made on a first-come, first-served basis; as always, staff positions will be determined at my own discretion).

Last edited:
Sorry if this isn't allowed hear or something...I didn't know, but I'd like to annouce a Re-Boot of my old RP "Until Death Do Us Part", it is a Post-Apocalyptic RP

Thank You,

Tye Taylors

I have something that I've been thinking about for a while now, but I would like to see how others react to it before I really get started. This is just the basis for the roleplay, so I'm not even sure what exactly I plan on doing with it. I could take it anywhere, into a Journey RP, Mission/Quest RP, or something entirely different.

It takes place in the not so distant future, just a few years ahead of now. The world itself hasn't changed too much, but the video-gaming industry has changed vastly. A new system is introduced, created by a large and powerful company that emerged from the shadows. No one knew too much about the company before they created this new system, but no one really asked questions about it. Regardless of how they rose to the state that they are now, the system they built is at the top of the food chain; literally everybody is using it.

And now, Nintendo's Pokemon franchise is headed to the new system.

The system itself is unlike anything else in the world. In a fashion similar to the movies Avatar (James Cameron), Surrogates, and The Matrix, the player is actually connected into the video game. The character's spinal cord is painlessly tapped, and they are transported into the game. Since their physical body cannot be transported, they are put into customizable 'avatars'. However, the player sees as the avatar sees, hears as the avatar hears, feels as the avatar feels. It's the ultimate gaming experience.

With the newest pokemon game, Pokemon World, arriving in stores now, all the fans of the franchise are eagerly preparing for it. With every single pokemon accessible in the game, a mock real-life experience, and an entire planet open to free exploration, the launch date is approaching by the second.

People have been waiting for quite a while for this video game, since the arrival date was postponed a full year. While many suspected that it was delayed for a rather simple reason (something like it just wasn't ready to be sold in stores yet), there is rumor going around that it had an extremely violent glitch in game that needed to be corrected. But, after several people are given the opportunity to demo the game, the glitch's presence is sure to be found in game.

None the less, the game will still go on. What will you do in the Pokemon World? Will you work to save the planet from danger, or will you take a more traditional route, or will you just explore the planet? It's all up to you! But there's one thing for sure that will happen; Pokemon World will change you.

...And that's all I have so far. I know that there's close to nothing that I have planned for the plot, but I just wanted to get my idea out there. So, do you have any advice/criticisms/questions/etc. ?

I haven't got too much planned for a plot, but I've always liked the idea of running an RP with a battle simulator being used for major plot battles, something to add some genuine tension since there's none of that whole "The protagonists are guaranteed a win by the plot" business. How does that sound, or is it just something I shouldn't start working on yet?

Been looking around and there doesnt seem to be a "TPP"(The Pokemon Project) RP. I would actually join it if anyone would to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom