• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Sounding Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'm always in the market for new RP ideas - unique concepts, methods, themes, mechanisms, anything new and brilliant!

Usually here in the Metronome Forum we only post ideas when we're poised to launch them as full-fledged roleplays, but what I felt we were lacking was a place to just throw ideas around - you know, see what 'sticks,' if you will. :p

I like to consider RP concepts that throw out basic, established "rules," so to start us off, I've been throwing around the idea of an RP where one of the chief mechanisms of the Plot is the players' ability to retcon each other's posts.

I'll say it one more time: Master Mew, you're a genius :-D.

This sounds like a great thread, especially as I myself have plenty of ideas buzzing around my head. Hopefully I can actually create a viable RP with the help of this thread.

Feedback on your idea: it sounds like an awesome way to implement a time travel RP. Obviously, it'd need a concrete structure to keep things from degenerating, but the concept alone sells the RP. Perhaps a definite timeline could be set up beforehand? Players can post new actions that follow the established timeline narratively, or jump backwards and retcon 'future' events. The only thing left would be a sensible context.

I always wanted to set up a time travel related way to bring back all those well-thought out characters from RPs that never took off...

Feedback on your idea: it sounds like an awesome way to implement a time travel RP. Obviously, it'd need a concrete structure to keep things from degenerating, but the concept alone sells the RP. Perhaps a definite timeline could be set up beforehand? Players can post new actions that follow the established timeline narratively, or jump backwards and retcon 'future' events. The only thing left would be a sensible context.
Yeah, time-travel was of course one of the first applications that came to mind. :p

Since retconning would be a chief game mechanic, it follows logically that the reason for it being so would be because the plotline has a particular goal which needs to be achieved, and can only be achieved a certain way - that 'way' not yet being known.

So, as a much less awesome follow-up to Master Mew’s time-travel concept, I’m looking for some help with an RP plot bunny (incidentally, you’re catching a glimpse of my standard RP creation process).

In my mind, I’ve got this scene of a few dragon riders in midair--the players--fighting off some dark enemy, on an as-yet-unknown flying mount. The players unleash various elemental attacks, but the enemy avoids them all or simply tanks a few outright. Then, one of the players draws too close to the enemy, who unleashes some sort of devastating attack from his weapon, sending the unlucky player plummeting towards the ground.

So now I’ve got to build a story and context from that scene, and then make it an interesting RP. Obviously, the core concept is dragon riders. But how should I implement that? Should they be adventurers? Soldiers or knights in a war? Mere students in some clichéd dragon riding order? Which makes for the most interesting RP?

World-wise, the most concrete idea is that the enemy’s weapon is a super-powerful McGuffin; I’m leaning toward calling it the Spear of Destiny. Then I have to decide what its effect on the RP’s world would be. Is it some new creation of the enemy? An ancient and powerful artifact? One of many ancient and powerful artifacts? As I’m typing this, I’m already leaning toward it being one of many ancient weapons, weapons that have been fought over before, but I’m still not sure…

Lastly, I need some sort of conflict. Again, obviously the enemy will be the primary villain. But why is he the enemy? Is he some lucky soul who created or found an ultra-powerful weapon? Is he a conquering tyrant, enemy of the dragon riders? Or maybe a fallen dragon rider himself? Or even a sort of outside context villain, like a marauding demon or spirit invading the world?

Like I said, it’s very rough and unfinished. But I decided bouncing idea off the Sounding Board would be better than just bouncing it off my brain. So, any advice? Should I just drop this for a more original concept?

Hmm, sounds interesting. I think I'll leave this concept on the back burner for now though, especially as I still have three active sign-ups and one active RP going.

Hm, this sounds like a cool thread. I actually have an rp idea, as well. Well, mostly for Priv. RP, but I wanted to know how it sounds to master RPers on here xD
---------------------------
Basically, it all revolves around a world where constant battles with the use of magic being the main weapon. These battles are waged between two warring factions; the ever classic Demon and Angel battles. However, because of the overwhelming numbers of Demons, the Angels decided that another method was needed for effective fighting.

The Revivers. Angels known for their power to 'revive' the potential of those chosen. They are beings are mighty power, but only 10 known Revivers live in the world today. These Revivers choose any living lifeform, most often a human, and put them through a test.

Should they pass, whether they want to or not; they are bestowed with immense power and potential. Not only hyper-augmented physical performance, but also the ability to use magic to their liking.

Thus, the Fallen were created. The Fallen's job is to battle and defeat demons, completing every task given. They are bound by a brand to their Revivers; and are forever bound to serve, protect, and fight for that Reviver and, in turn, the Angels.

Last edited:
Hm, this sounds like a cool thread. I actually have an rp idea, as well. Well, mostly for Priv. RP, but I wanted to know how it sounds to master RPers on here xD
---------------------------
Basically, it all revolves around a world where constant battles with the use of magic being the main weapon. These battles are waged between two warring factions; the ever classic Demon and Angel battles. However, because of the overwhelming numbers of Demons, the Angels decided that another method was needed for effective fighting.

The Revivers. Angels known for their power to 'revive' the potential of those chosen. They are beings are mighty power, but only 10 known Revivers live in the world today. These Revivers choose any living lifeform, most often a human, and put them through a test.

Should they pass, whether they want to or not; they are bestowed with immense power and potential. Not only hyper-augmented physical performance, but also the ability to use magic to their liking.

Thus, the Fallen were created. The Fallen's job is to battle and defeat demons, completing every task given. They are bound by a brand to their Revivers; and are forever bound to serve, protect, and fight for that Reviver and, in turn, the Angels.
Well, the Theologian in me sees a lot of issues here, but this is fiction so I guess it doesn't matter. :XD:

Sounds to me like the Demons need something "special" as well - I know the Revivers were added to balance things out, but as an RP'r it would feel unbalanced to have a special system for incuding humans on the angels' side, but no such method for the demons to use.

Perhaps a possession system?

@Master Mew: Actually, Demons can forcibly (or by request) add a human to their side. However, they are kind of large in number and strength; so they see no need to. However, they can transform humans into demons or just possess them.

I actually rp'd this with about 7 others on another forum I was on. It was the best one at the time, there xD

So, as a much less awesome follow-up to Master Mew’s time-travel concept, I’m looking for some help with an RP plot bunny (incidentally, you’re catching a glimpse of my standard RP creation process).

In my mind, I’ve got this scene of a few dragon riders in midair--the players--fighting off some dark enemy, on an as-yet-unknown flying mount. The players unleash various elemental attacks, but the enemy avoids them all or simply tanks a few outright. Then, one of the players draws too close to the enemy, who unleashes some sort of devastating attack from his weapon, sending the unlucky player plummeting towards the ground.

So now I’ve got to build a story and context from that scene, and then make it an interesting RP. Obviously, the core concept is dragon riders. But how should I implement that? Should they be adventurers? Soldiers or knights in a war? Mere students in some clichéd dragon riding order? Which makes for the most interesting RP?

World-wise, the most concrete idea is that the enemy’s weapon is a super-powerful McGuffin; I’m leaning toward calling it the Spear of Destiny. Then I have to decide what its effect on the RP’s world would be. Is it some new creation of the enemy? An ancient and powerful artifact? One of many ancient and powerful artifacts? As I’m typing this, I’m already leaning toward it being one of many ancient weapons, weapons that have been fought over before, but I’m still not sure…

Lastly, I need some sort of conflict. Again, obviously the enemy will be the primary villain. But why is he the enemy? Is he some lucky soul who created or found an ultra-powerful weapon? Is he a conquering tyrant, enemy of the dragon riders? Or maybe a fallen dragon rider himself? Or even a sort of outside context villain, like a marauding demon or spirit invading the world?

Like I said, it’s very rough and unfinished. But I decided bouncing idea off the Sounding Board would be better than just bouncing it off my brain. So, any advice? Should I just drop this for a more original concept?

Sounds like Inheritance XD

But I like this concept and would be happy to join in the RP if it starts up :)

Here are some of my ideas that you can use/discard as you please:

The "enemy" would be an explorer who discovers an ancient tablet describing 9 weapons of immense power-

The Sword of Lightning
The Mace of Fire
The Hammer of Earth
The Flail of Wind
The Trident of Water
The Axe of Wood (and all other plant life)
The Lance of Metal
The Staff of Light
The Scythe of Shadow

It is rumored that when these 9 weapons are united, then the path to the Spear of Destiny, the ultimate weapon, is unlocked. The spear is said to allow the user to cheat death. The enemy becomes obsessed with the possibility of immortality, and he and his small group of followers travel the land, collecting the weapons. He eventually succeeds, but the power of the spear incinerates his mortal body, leaving him to haunt the land as a dark spirit. However, over the years he gains enough power to take on a solid form as a solid manifestation of evil. He claims the spear and uses it to summon an ancient monster, that would resemble a gray and purple phoenix that is all evil-looking, and using the spear and the monster, conquers the land. However, nine heroes rise and steal the original 9 Weapons of Power and use them to summon 9 dragons, the guardians of the land, often spoken of in myths and legends-

The yellow Dragon of Lightning
The red Dragon of Fire
The brown Dragon of Earth
The white Dragon of Wind
The blue Dragon of Water
The green Dragon of Wood
The silver Dragon of Metal
The gold Dragon of Light
The black Dragon of Shadow

Riding upon the dragons and wielding the Weapons of Power, the original heroes fought the enemy, destroyed his body, and trapped his spirit inside the Spear of Destiny, which they returned to it's hiding place. The monster phoenix was banished to the Underworld. The dragons transformed into spirits and went into the Weapons of Power and fell into a deep slumber, only to be awakened if the world was on the brink of destruction. Now, skip ahead a couple hundred years. The enemy's spirit is still inside the Spear, but his power has been growing while he lies dormant. He has gained enough power to reach out with his mind and influence a group of people to collect the Weapons of Power. They get them and unwittingly release the enemy, who promptly turns them into his slaves. He conquers the kingdom on his phoenix once more, and hides the nine weapons all over the kingdom and has his most powerful minions guarding them. Now skip forward again. A group of nine young knights to the evil overlord (the players) become sick of being slaves. They secretly sneak away and go to search for the nine weapons and defeat the EO. They think it will be a grand adventure and that hey'll be hailed as heroes when they return. The nine heroes are, in actuality, reincarnations or descendants or heirs to the original 9 heroes, and they are "the chosen ones". On the quest, the heroes mature and learn of their destiny, and eventually manage to get the weapons and summon the dragons and then they face the EO in an epic showdown, saving the kingdom.

I'd reckon this would do well as a Sticky. If it doesn't, I'll just take it back down, but hey, I don't think MM or the others here will make that happen. :D

-T17

@Glory Blaze: Well, dragon riders are hardly a unique idea. But yeah, my inspiration was seeing the poster for Inheritance in my local bookstore :-D.

I like the Elemental Weapons and Dragons, as well as the corrupted Spear of Destiny. I'll work on the setting a bit more though. Still, thanks for the great ideas and interest!

@Glory Blaze: Well, dragon riders are hardly a unique idea. But yeah, my inspiration was seeing the poster for Inheritance in my local bookstore :-D.

I like the Elemental Weapons and Dragons, as well as the corrupted Spear of Destiny. I'll work on the setting a bit more though. Still, thanks for the great ideas and interest!

No prob! I'd be happy to help develop the concept more when the other RPs you're hosting start to wind down. :)

I've been juggling this idea that mostly involves aliens I don't know if you guys would like to hear about it though.

You should post it. I'm pretty sure it would at least generate a few of our interests!

And aliens are always a fun concept. Plus, I don't think there are any open RPs that use it, so why not give it a shot?

I've been juggling this idea that mostly involves aliens I don't know if you guys would like to hear about it though.
Crap. That shoves my next project further back. I'd love to see your ideas, though. :)

I don't think it'll be the same but I'll give it a shot xD

Anyway I was thinking of this idea in which a group of people find a space shuttle that had just crashed on earth. Inside the space shuttle is an alien named Lytlyt who abandoned his planet for the sake of getting to know the rest of the galaxy. He marks the group with special symbols that connect them to him and assigns them the job to teaching him about earth culture, during that time he gets them in trouble a lot with all of the artifacts he's brought though.

After a while the group receives a message telling them that the Lanlerids Lytlyt's race are searching for Lytlyt and that they will be invading the earth in a week the group has to not only prepare but to find a way to alert everyone in the world about the invasion. After this the RP turns into a fight against the Lanlerids as well as recovering Lytlyt from a government lab, this is when the symbols that Lytlyt gave them begins to react giving the group the ability to "Awaken" allowing them to use the same abilities as the Lanlerids whenever the symbol is activated.

I'm still trying to plan it out but that's mostly what I have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom