• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO The Speed Limit now affects Stops

UxieLover1994

Wo ist die Käse?
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
The latest update has made it so that activating PokeStops when going above 15mph will instead display the "Try Again Later" sign. This is probably done to discourage laziness from players who use cars or public transport to quickly restock balls and eggs. But apparently, Pokémon are still catchable above the speed limit.

I advise not to make a big deal out of it. I'm just as annoyed as you guys are, but I do see the point of this. Sadly, almost everyone on the main Reddit site are in a very ugly flame war over this. I've not seen this much hatred since the announcement of "Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure" in 2011. You don't want to know how bad those fans were (and still are).

I don't think I'd call the people who use cars or public transportation to do this lazy. That's kind of rude, especially when there's really no harm in doing that so long as you aren't the one driving. I know that the app is to get people to walk more, but not everyone can walk around to every PokeStop. There's only a few within walking distance for me. I do this when I'm in my Dad's car, so this is a huge disappointment. It was bad enough to where I can't capture Pokemon while he's driving, especially when I've been close to some new Pokemon a couple of times, but now I'll be lucky to get as many eggs. That was a big reason as to why I could get eggs frequently and now that might be pretty tricky.

Problem is it also happens with Pokesteps in your range because of GPS drifting. It has happened just a few times to me, it sure is slightly annoying.
It hasn't been to major of a problem in my case, though, as I rarely get car rides anymore.

It's annoying to me because I literally have class all day. Mon and Wed I leave my house at 10:15am and I don't leave campus til 5pm. Some weeks I have an extra class on Wednesdays that means I don't leave campus until 9:15pm. Almost literally on campus for 12hrs. Tues/Thurs I leave the house at 8:30am and don't leave til 6:30pm. Therefore the only real time I have to activate PokeStops are the ones right outside the science building when I'm not too busy trying not to drown in work (pretty rare to have free time this close to finals), the ones I can activate walking between classes, and the ones on the shuttle bus route from the parking garage to the class buildings.

This has reduced the amount of Pokestops I can use now, which is unfortunate and expected given this update. I do like that I'm finding more Pokemon around like my local park. I've been able to find Caterpie and Machop pretty frequently, which would have been so handy when I was trying to evolve them. It also reduces how many eggs I can get now, which is kind of good and bad at the same time. I don't have to buy a lot of items to hatch Pokemon and I potentially don't have to hatch Pokemon that I already have, but that does make it harder for me to collect candy for Pokemon I still need to evolve like the starters and Magikarp. Not to mention I still need to get ten kilometer eggs for Dratini, Lapras and Snorlax and I still really want to hatch a Seel. I'm hoping that the few eggs I can get now will definitely be Pokemon that I need rather than another really common Pokemon.

I honestly don't see a good enough reason for Niantic to include this 'feature.' What is so wrong with collecting items from Pokestops on public transport in between walking? Seems silly in my opinion.

And if some people are lazy and just try to collect Pokestops by means of transport, who cares? It affects nobody, and this way, everyone is getting punished for it.

This is annoying since I now mainly play GO when I am riding to work(I dont drive) so its led to me being able to collect less Poke Balls so I run out of them more often which keeps me from catching Pokemon I need. I get that they're trying to discourage people playing it while they are driving but it sucks for people playing it that dont drive and are riding in a car or are on public transport.

Yeah, I'm still disappointed with this updated feature. I understand the reasoning behind it, especially when they don't want people to use the app while driving at the same time, but it does ignore people using it while riding with other people or using public transportation. It really has limit the number of PokeStops I can actually gain access to while riding in a car and that is a shame. I don't know if they'll ever change this decision, but I hope so. Or at the very least I find eggs at the Pokestops I can get to more often. I haven't found too many eggs recently.

I actually thought the idea behind this is that Niantic doesn't want people to play unless they're walking around. The game was supposed to help people exercise. They added an extra confirmation screen to prevent drivers from playing, yet the inability to encounter Pokemon or record Egg distance from some speed onwards was there since the beginning, and it was not supposed to influence just drivers.

Nice thing with public transport is, at least here, that most stations have Pokestops, which you can still collect when you stop there. Some Egg distance is also recorded.

I understand that the game is supposed to get people to walk around more and that's perfectly fine. I just don't really see the problem with getting to Pokestops if you're just riding around in a car or public transportation. Even if you get to more Pokestops, you'll still need to walk around to actually hatch any eggs. Before the last few updates, I could only get a couple of kilometers at best with my eggs, so it wasn't like it was a huge advantage in that regard. The main advantage is that people could get to more Pokestops without walking, which was a huge help for those who aren't around of Pokestops within walking distance.

Aside from the first Pokestop of the day, it seems like they're giving out less items too. I don't know if it's just my luck or part of the update, but most Pokestops seem to be giving out only three items when I'd often get four or five items, which is probably another reason why finding eggs is so rare for me now.

Iit seems like they're giving out less items too. I don't know if it's just my luck or part of the update, but most Pokestops seem to be giving out only three items when I'd often get four or five items, which is probably another reason why finding eggs is so rare for me now.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've gotten like max three things from PokeStops yesterday and today, whereas before they were literally crawling down my screen (I was getting like 8 or so things from each stop before).

Since that most likely means that there's some new bug with the Pokestop bonuses, hopefully they'll be able to fix it in the next patch. Not only does it mean it's harder to get eggs, but it's also harder to stock up on Pokeball, Great Balls and Ultra Balls, which also means that people might be put in a position where they have to buy more if they want to keep capturing Pokemon. I have spent money on the game to get Pokeballs, but I prefer not getting to that point so frequently.

At least their updated tracker seems to be working fine. It is annoying with how often Pokemon can flee from the area before you even get there, but it does seem to work and I've caught a few rare Pokemon as a result, so that's cool.

Can't buy great or ultraballs though, m8. Believe me, it's been a complaint of mine since I hit "I can get greatballs now yay" level (whatever lv that was).

However for me eggs have been extras (so, since the update I've been getting only 3 things from stops, but if I get an egg it's three things plus the egg), so I dunno if we're really getting less eggs. I do agree about the Pokeballs though. I neeeeeeeeeeed moAr great and ultrabaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls.

I was referring to buying Pokeballs and didn't mean to include Great and Ultra balls there, although we really should be able to buy those after reaching a certain level or something. It feels like we're getting less eggs since I'd easily be able to get at least a couple of eggs after going through a few Pokestops, but now I'm lucky if I can find them at all. It still seems like some kind of bug on their end given how little items people seem to be getting at the PokeStops now.

Aside from the first Pokestop of the day, it seems like they're giving out less items too. I don't know if it's just my luck or part of the update, but most Pokestops seem to be giving out only three items when I'd often get four or five items, which is probably another reason why finding eggs is so rare for me now

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've gotten like max three things from PokeStops yesterday and today, whereas before they were literally crawling down my screen (I was getting like 8 or so things from each stop before)

I think what you both are referring to is the temporary promotion they had before the last update. During that time period there were more spawns than usual and PokeStops gave out more items.

Hopefully they do another event like this because it was great for stocking up on items and having more Pokeballs to use for the increased spawns. It's nice to see Niantic throwing out treats like these for the fans occasionally, and paying more attention to the voices of the community in general.

I think what you both are referring to is the temporary promotion they had before the last update. During that time period there were more spawns than usual and PokeStops gave out more items.

Hopefully they do another event like this because it was great for stocking up on items and having more Pokeballs to use for the increased spawns. It's nice to see Niantic throwing out treats like these for the fans occasionally, and paying more attention to the voices of the community in general.

No, I'm pretty sure that this is part of their new update. I still find a lot more Pokemon walking around my local park than I did before. Plus, I would normally get plenty of items from PokeStops well before their last event happened, so I do think that there's a bit something off there.

Before, I had so many pokeballs all of the time that Pokemon breaking out of balls didn't bother me so much. Now, I literally want to slam my phone on the ground whenever one breaks out cause I HAVE NO POKEBAAAAAAAAAAALLS AAAAAAAHHHHH. Well, that is until I decided to just keep the app open while I typed up my paper in the science building yesterday. Murdered the crap out of my phone battery, but I got my paper done and now have a decent enough supply of pokeballs (seriously, yesterday before the paper writing marathon I had literally zero normal pokeballs, three greatballs, and like 17 ultraballs, it was awful and I was almost strangling my phone when pokemon kept breaking out).

When you live in the freaking middle of nowhere, you kinda have to drive to stops, when they're 10 miles apart! Add to the fact that most stops where I live are on the side of the road, with no sidewalks either. It majorly sucks.

Majority of the stops are in religious buildings/areas and it's really rude and disrespectful for a bunch of people to be walking around a church or temple while a wedding or some ceremony is being held so this "feature" is not helping anyone in my city. Also there are several stops in dangerous and high risk areas so the only way to access them without the possibility of being robbed or murdered is when you're driving past.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom