• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Star Wars EU or the Sequel trilogy? (Spoilers alert)

Which felt like a better sequel

• The Star Wars EU

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srebak

Reaction score
Just because I feel that it’s worth discussing this topic, which sequel to the Star Wars original trilogy was more preferable to you, personally, and why?

I mean I’ve enjoyed certain aspects of both:

Mara Jade

The New Jedi Order

The New Republic lasting for as long as it did

The Leia/Han Family

As well as:

The introductions of Rey, Finn & BB-8

And

The First Order

But I’ve also acquired a few gripes and grievances with both:

The loss of Chewbacca

The damage caused by one of the Solo kids

As well as;

The deaths of both Luke and Han

The short-lived times of both the new Jedi Order and the New Republic

and the overall nearly immediate string of tragedies

What about you?

The original EU has some of the most bonkers bullshit ever conceived for a franchise, so obviously I prefer it. You really just can't beat a running gag about the R5 unit Luke buys in A New Hope being a secret Jedi who destroyed itself to save the galaxy, or IG-88 becoming the Death Star.

I persoanlly prefer the sequels. The EU had it’s run. But it ran out of ideas later on, so disney made a good decision in making it non canon imo. If they continued it for the older fans I would agree more, but for the sake of the movies it needed to happen

EU without a doubt. Gave us a far more interesting version of Kylo Ren (Jacen Solo) with a far more interesting reason for turning away from his family, a far better ending for Luke, Mara Jade, one of the most badass deaths in all of fiction for Chewie... I could go on and on but a lot of characters that were done dirty by TLJ had much nicer closings to their arcs in the EU.

Beyond that, we have perhaps my two favorite Star Wars stories trapped in the EU. Knights of the Old Republic and SW: Legacy. One of which is well known, the other is a hidden gem.

EU without a doubt. Gave us a far more interesting version of Kylo Ren (Jacen Solo) with a far more interesting reason for turning away from his family,
Well, they eventually gave Jacen a compelling motivation for becoming Darth Caedus, in Legacy of the Force itself his justifications were about as weak as Kylo's.

That's a fair point. I'll admit that after all these years a lot of that era kind of blends together for me .
Yeah, I still remember a lot of people were really mad at LOTF for how weak Jacen's motivations were and how they axed Mara Jade. It took half a decade and another book series for it to really be salvaged.

EU without a doubt. Gave us a far more interesting version of Kylo Ren (Jacen Solo) with a far more interesting reason for turning away from his family, a far better ending for Luke, Mara Jade, one of the most badass deaths in all of fiction for Chewie... I could go on and on but a lot of characters that were done dirty by TLJ had much nicer closings to their arcs in the EU.

Beyond that, we have perhaps my two favorite Star Wars stories trapped in the EU. Knights of the Old Republic and SW: Legacy. One of which is well known, the other is a hidden gem.

Parroting of this since these are the good points for the EU for myself. Stories of Revan and Malak are EU also, unfortunately. However, I still really enjoy the sequels as well, but I just feel like EU has that big nick over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom