• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Starters and New evolutions

Will the Starters get new evolutions?

• Total voters
Removing abilities would make no sense whatsoever given that the original games had them. You can mention Let's Go not having abilities, but that remake was on purpose being made simpler than normal (it was trying to be like the original Gen 1 games). And not to mention FRLG, a remake of Gen 1, had them.

And when it comes to Mega Evolution, a game being made simpler doesn't rule them out because the Let's Go games had them. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but a game not being competitive doesn't mean certain features that are more geared towards competitive will be removed automatically.

Removing abilities would make no sense whatsoever given that the original games had them. You can mention Let's Go not having abilities, but that remake was on purpose being made simpler than normal (it was trying to be like the original Gen 1 games). And not to mention FRLG, a remake of Gen 1, had them.

And when it comes to Mega Evolution, a game being made simpler doesn't rule them out because the Let's Go games had them. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but a game not being competitive doesn't mean certain features that are more geared towards competitive will be removed automatically.
I'm quite confident that abilities will be removed. Not counting the fact that BDSP starters have abilities in their page while Legends starters aren't, a lot of abilities are made for competive double battles which, most likely, this game won't have. Why would I need a friend gard cleafairy in Legends?

Not counting the fact that BDSP starters have abilities in their page while Legends starters aren't
Proof of nothing.

a lot of abilities are made for competive double battles which, most likely, this game won't have.
Why wouldn't it have double battles, specially when GF pretty much pushes it as its main battle style in VGC?

Also, people keep saying this game isn't "competitive" when we hardly know much about the game.

We know that it doesn't have a multiplayer, unless you refuse to believe anything the Japanese site says (it's listed as a single player game). We also know that trainers don't exist in this era in any official sense, so why would they compete? There may be some story battles here and there, but for the most part you'll be facing wild Pokemon. The trailer isn't misleading.

Legends and BDSP are separate for a reason (beyond just greed). Battles are going to be different, but we don't know to what extent. I wouldn't be surprised if the list of available moves were closer to LGPE's than SwSh's, because you're simply not going to need all that many and we're dealing with new animations.

Last edited:
Where are people getting the "there aren't any trainers here" thing? So far they have showed very little and the game looks like to be in a very early state, so god knows how much different it can be in the next trailer.

Also a pokemon game with training and catching with no online to trade and battle pokemon would be absolutely ridiculous. That is literally one of the pillars of the franchise to the point even spin-offs have online or some type of connectivity to allow people to battle and trade with each other.

Where are people getting the "there aren't any trainers here" thing? So far they have showed very little and the game looks like to be in a very early state, so god knows how much different it can be in the next trailer.
Blame the ENG website which says it.

I do think it's interesting in hindsight that the IoA and CT may have been experiments in branching out especially the latter which has far less emphasis on battling Trainers. But I digress, that is a subject for another thread...

Probably from this line on the official website:
You’ll be brought to the Sinnoh region, the setting for the Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl games. But this story unfolds in a long-gone era, before ideas such as being a Pokémon Trainer or having a Pokémon League even existed.

It seems to me this would be the game to introduce the concept of trainers if anything.

Well yes, but not in the main playthrough i think. Maybe the post-game is establishing an official Pokemon League, since now you have established an official Pokedex, where you can invite trainers from other regions and train with them to make them stronger and make them the hurdles new trainers have to defeat to progress in the badge and league run.

I'm quite confident that abilities will be removed. Not counting the fact that BDSP starters have abilities in their page while Legends starters aren't, a lot of abilities are made for competive double battles which, most likely, this game won't have. Why would I need a friend gard cleafairy in Legends?
I think that in regards to the presence or absence of Abilities, we might get some sort of equivalent trait/mechanic in one of three fashions:
  1. Pokémon will just have characteristics/behaviors that we would normally associate with certain abilities, assuming said characteristics would fit in with the battle system and/or other mechanics the game has.
  2. Instead of the Pokémon themselves having abilities, our trainer will instead be able to equip certain “abilities” that effect their party.
  3. Similar yet different to the second option, we will be able equip our Pokémon with different “abilities” as opposed to them having set abilities from the moment they are caught.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom