• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Strange Souvenir Pokémon

Reaction score
Oddly enough, there is no thread about this yet. I think most of us can agree that the Strange Souvenir foreshadows a Generation VII Pokémon, and that it is probably a legendary. The item itself is unlikely to be transferred from XY to Sun/Moon due to Bank's limitations. Besides, it is just a souvenir rather than a key item. It would be weird if it were needed to unlock the actual Pokémon.

Now, this Pokémon is described as a "Pokémon that is venerated as a protector in some region far from Kalos", and the statue bears resemblance to moai and to a lesser extent tiki statues. But for all we know, the statue only loosely looks like the actual Pokémon. Why would Game Freak spoil us three years in advance, after all? I'd say we should focus on the symbolism, which may be inspired by the moai:

Archaeologists believe that the statues were a representation of the ancient Polynesians' ancestors. The moai statues face away from the ocean and towards the villages as if to watch over the people.

Could the Strange Souvenir Pokémon be a reincarnation of an actual person? Perhaps that ancestor wanted to protect his descendants for all eternity, and this desire manifested in reincarnation.

Last edited:
I think Gamefreak has the franchise planned a few generations ahead, And decided to slip a hint into the Kalos games.

That hint you mentioned isn't obvious. If I recall, you have to chase that guy around Kalos.

One theory i have is that Sun and Moon can do a mystery gift with X and Y and if that statue is present, you get a legendary in Sun and Moon. Great way to boost sales if some decided to skip Gen 6.

One theory i have is that Sun and Moon can do a mystery gift with X and Y and if that statue is present, you get a legendary in Sun and Moon. Great way to boost sales if some decided to skip Gen 6.
Game Freak should focus on Sun and Moon's sales rather than XY's. I would think that they would have made the souvenir a key item if it were supposed to be transferred eventually.

Game Freak should focus on Sun and Moon's sales rather than XY's. I would think that they would have made the souvenir a key item if it were supposed to be transferred eventually.
Game freak has no problem with double dipping (which is why we have paired games). Would I put it past them to sneak something like that into the game? No. The pokemon itself would probably count as a mythical pokemon for pokedex reasons.

Just a thought anyway. I could be several aU off the mark.

Another thought is that it really is just a mysterious but ultimately worthless trinket. Just enough in it to keep us debating its meaning without it having a meaning.

Hmm interesting. Still with everyone thinking that GenViI region will be what Johto was to Kanto and it is titled far away from Kalos not really sure. But think it would be silly to pass the opportunity to use this item. Would make no sense to carry it along for a region coming in 3-4 years.

I certainly don't think that. It's much more likely to be based on Hawaii than anywhere close to France.

As this isn't the actual world so even if the region is based on Hawaii it can be just seperated by a mountain from Kalos.

An island archipelago would be separated by a mountain from Kalos?

I don't think it will be an actual resemblance of the Hawaii Archipelago. Probably 1 main island(which could be connected to Kalos) with 2-3 smaller ones.

Overall I am also not a supporter of the Johto 2.0 theory but wouldn't be surprised if they would go for it .
But if they would go for the Hawaii theme Ibdon't see them spreading it over bigger islands. Could make the overall gameplay too much surfy and stuff.

As this isn't the actual world so even if the region is based on Hawaii it can be just seperated by a mountain from Kalos.

The Strange Souvenir's description says it's from a region "far from Kalos" though. I don't think it would say that if it's just on the other side of some mountains from it.

We currently have ZERO evidence or hints towards a possibility of Kalos being the second region in Gen VII. Why don't we forget about this theory until they give us actual evidence to support it?

I am saying this because the idea of Kalos appearing as a post game region in Gen VII is exactly as logical as Unova appearing as a post game region in XY, or Sinnoh appearing in Gen V, etc. It is an extremely random idea with no evidence to support it, other than people's surprise of GF skipping Z.

While the Bank obviously could not facilitate an item transfer, could they perhaps include some sort of Relocator-esque software in SM, like they did to let us transfer the Shiny Beast trio/Celebi/not the Lock Capsule from HGSS to BW? Would that be plausible?

Also, we're all assuming that it will be a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon. What if it's just something like Volcarona? I think I may actually prefer that; I like it when they have lower-case-legendary Pokémon like Volcarona and Spiritomb. It makes the region's Pokémon roster feel a little bit more flavourful; a little more "alive." At least in my opinion.

^ If Kalos will be a post-game in S&M, I'm inclined to believe theories hovering the net that Hoopa's ring will connect them, probably an entrance in Anistar City via the Sun Dial. It would support that Gen VII region is really faraway from Kalos, even though it would appear awkward going through the ring.

Pokemon is revealing a lot of mechanics bit by bit through the Legendary and Mythical Pokemon. We had Celebi the time traveler, Dialga the time god, and now Hoopa the space traveler, and Palkia the space god, which may open connections to other regions.

Pokemon is revealing a lot of mechanics bit by bit through the Legendary and Mythical Pokemon. We had Celebi the time traveler, Dialga the time god, and now Hoopa the space traveler, and Palkia the space god, which may open connections to other regions.
That makes it sound more like traveling between dimensions rather than traveling to other regions. I'm more inclined to believe that the regions all exist on one planet.

Anyway, since the souvenir appears to be based on a moai statue, I immediately think of Nosepass and Probopass. Those don't sound like possible candidates though.

While the Bank obviously could not facilitate an item transfer, could they perhaps include some sort of Relocator-esque software in SM, like they did to let us transfer the Shiny Beast trio/Celebi/not the Lock Capsule from HGSS to BW? Would that be plausible?
It's possible, but why force people to use more than one 3DS system? Or create a new app just for one item? Not to mention that the Strange Souvenir not being a key item means that some people could lose it after 3 years.

Also, we're all assuming that it will be a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon. What if it's just something like Volcarona? I think I may actually prefer that; I like it when they have lower-case-legendary Pokémon like Volcarona and Spiritomb. It makes the region's Pokémon roster feel a little bit more flavourful; a little more "alive." At least in my opinion.
I won't have a problem with that as long as it is treated as a unique Pokemon.

Could the Strange Souvenir Pokémon be a reincarnation of an actual person?

I really like this idea. It reminds me of Ninetales' Yellow Pokedex entry, actually:

According to an enduring legend, 9 noble saints were united and reincarnated as this Pokémon.

It was alluded to again in its Sapphire & Alpha Sapphire entries, but that was described as merging, not reincarnation.

While I think it's a fair assumption that this Pokemon could very well be a legendary Pokemon, I'm not completely sold on the idea. A rare Pokemon that can't be caught normally could easily be seen as a protector or guardian. Absol is seen (and disliked) as a bringer of calamity and disaster, yet it is a regularly available Pokemon.

the souvenir appears to be based on a moai statue, I immediately think of Nosepass and Probopass. Those don't sound like possible candidates though.

What about Probopass as a potential mega evolution candidate instead?

If there's no feasible way to transfer an item from one generation to the next, then the Strange Souvenir just seems extremely pointless.

If there's no feasible way to transfer an item from one generation to the next, then the Strange Souvenir just seems extremely pointless.
I don't consider it pointless. It helped me realize that Game Freak were working on another generation for the 3DS. It's too bad that this point was lost on most fans.

I consider it pointless because what's the point of programming in an item that does nothing? This isn't quite the same as an easter egg. It also doesn't specifically mean a new region/generation, because all it says is a "region far from Kalos," which can easily apply to any of the regions we have already encountered.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom