• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Strange Souvenir Pokémon

Pointless? That depends. From the moment it was dicovered, it's been a hot topic of conversation and speculation amongst fans. It may not have served any in game purpose, but it got people buzzing.

It also doesn't specifically mean a new region/generation, because all it says is a "region far from Kalos," which can easily apply to any of the regions we have already encountered.

Didn't the man who gave the player the item say the item was from his home region? And he states that he wasn't from any of the previous regions? He mentions a city, a champion, and a facility that the player wouldn't believe, if I recall.

Didn't the man who gave the player the item say the item was from his home region? And he states that he wasn't from any of the previous regions? He mentions a city, a champion, and a facility that the player wouldn't believe, if I recall.
Yep. Game Freak were very blatant about the region being from a future generation. Some people would argue that it might not be from Generation VII, but that would be ridiculous.

I consider it pointless because what's the point of programming in an item that does nothing? This isn't quite the same as an easter egg.
I'd call it an easter egg considering that the item wasn't programmed to serve any purpose in XY. They could always just make it available in Sun and Moon directly if they wanted to use it.

I'm actually more inclined to believe that the item may have once been intended for an event Pokemon, similar to how Arceus was connected to the Azure Flute. Obtainable items are seldom ever programmed in to serve as easter eggs without practical use. As it stands, it's just too vague to say without a doubt that it is connected to the next generation, especially if it cannot be transferred over. The fact that you cannot obtain it in ORAS makes me more inclined to believe that.

They went out of their way to say that the Pokemon is from a future region and you think it was intended for the current generation? Okay.

The item is called a souvenir for a reason. You're supposed to look at it in your bag and be reminded of the foreshadowing. That's it.

I think it's interesting that Game Freak chose that Pokemon out of all of them. It's a standalone legendary that is clearly very prominent in the region, which is a change of pace from the typical exclusive focus on mascots in the main story.
Obtainable items are seldom ever programmed in to serve as easter eggs without practical use.
You know there's precedent for items deliberately having zero use and value, right? Pretty Wing. There are also several moves that literally do nothing. They're meant to be duds. On the other hand, the Strange Souvenir depicts an unrecognizable Pokemon stated to be from an unfamiliar region. That's a stark difference right there when comparing gameplay elements that do nothing.

Last edited:
No, the backpacker mentioned this clearly. His region, (and the strange souvenir probably) isn't from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova or Kalos. I agree with Lunafreya.

This pokemon would be one of the mythicals of the new generation. I don't think it has anything to do with the box legendaries.

The Pretty Wing can be sold for 100 Pokedollars, so no, it is not completely useless. When I played BW, I thought it was pretty clear that the item was intended to be sold, much like the Nugget and Stardust.

I have never liked it when a game turns the focus away from itself, and turns it to a future game.

That's why, imo the Strange Souvenir is... unsettling. It makes me feel like: "What!? Game Freak want to turn my attention to a future region/game, while playing X? What's the hurry?"

I like focusing on the games I play.

Well to be fair you have to go out of your way to find him in the hotels and know to return to him numerous times to eventually get the item from him. It's not a one time thing where he gives you it straight away and it's not like he's an NPC that's stood right in the way of the story where you have no choice but to interact with him to advance the game.

It's a little easter egg that's out of the way, not a giant billboard advertising it in the middle of the main story, so they aren't really trying to turn your attention away from X considering the process you have to go through to get it. It's just slipping a little foreshadowing in for those that manage to find it. Plus if you play a certain way you can probably go the entire game without even finding him at all given how the NPC moves around the hotels.

I know. But that's different if you are in a Pokemon forum. You learn about it even if you don't encounter it. XD

Yeah, the Strange Souvenir can always be given to us somehow in SM's region. I can see it unlocking a small area to allow us to catch it or something along those lines.

Had everyone forgotten about this item?

Lock Capsule - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

While not legitimately available, this item functions very similarly to the souvenir. I expect that its function will only be shown in SM and it not be nearly as spectacular as some would hope.

My memory's telling me it was released, but I'm not 100% sure. I do remember having TM Snarl in BW, but Idk.

The Lock Capsule was indeed never released, and we only knew about it through hacking. Not the case for the Strange Souvenir, which is even associated with a Pokemon.

vKja48j.png

So bumping this back due to recent confirmations (Hawaii, tiki etc). What do we think about these statues? Potentially related to the Strange Souvenir Pokemon or just to create the atmosphere?

Comparison:

Dream_Strange_Souvenir_Sprite.png

Those are atmosphere. The strange souvenir tiki meanwhile probably depicts the 3rd legendary, the trio master, as neither Solgaleo or Lunaala match it. And even then I doubt it, as the common thing is the celestial dome with the weird hologram eyes, which is entirely different to the tiki's more natural eyes. Unless those are actually the celestial domes for it.

vKja48j.png

So bumping this back due to recent confirmations (Hawaii, tiki etc). What do we think about these statues? Potentially related to the Strange Souvenir Pokemon or just to create the atmosphere?

Comparison:

Dream_Strange_Souvenir_Sprite.png

Those statues look more like this mask in the Nacrene Museum xD
tumblr_o4cihwOgFu1u4x0s8o1_1280.jpg

Edit: Actually, looking again it kinda looks more like the souvenir but I highly doubt it's relevant...

Fair enough. But if its the regions protector, and not a trip master, what would thaf make the legendaries? Certainly not evil, but without a 3rd to keep em in check, then it could be an interesting dynamic.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom