• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Strange Souvenir Pokémon

There are four guardians so, probably inspired from the 4 tikis as Silktree said. Another interesting point is that in alchemy, there are four elemental symbols.

This is true; however, it almost feels like low-hanging fruit to me because the four elements are such a common concept across many cultures.

Air = Rowlet?
Fire = Litten
Water = Popplio
Earth = Iwanko?

There's also the mention that the four share a secret....

Although there may be something to this...

True.

Someone in the crowd called the deity a "curious little thing" which made me immediately think of Zygarde Core. But as someone else has already pointed out, it wouldn't make sense to refer to them as separate beings.

So the four guardians are actually confirmed, and they're referred to as Pokemon. I doubt that they're Zygarde cores with the Strange Souvenir existing. Not to mention how odd it would be to refer to each part of Zygarde as an independent deity.

The are four Hawaiian Tiki gods:

Ku: God of war, whose worship required human sacrifice.

Lono: God of fertility, music and peace. In his honor, the great annual festival of the Makahiki was held. During this period, war and unnecessary work was kapu (forbidden).

Kane: God of procreation worshipped as ancestor of chiefs and commoners. Kane is the creator and gives life associated with dawn, sun and sky. No human sacrifice or laborious ritual was needed in the worship of Kane.

Kanaloa: Symbolized by the squid or by the octopus, and is typically associated with Kane. Together, they represent a divine duality of wild and taming forces. Kanaloa is also considered to be the god of the Underwold and a teacher of magic. Legends state that he became the leader of the first group of spirits "spit out" by the gods. In time, he led them in a rebellion in which the spirits were defeated by the gods and as punishment were thrown in the Underworld.

Kane seems to be especially important:

There is an alternate creation legend:

I'd guess that the Strange Souvenir pertains to Kane, while Tapu Koko is almost certainly based on Lono. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kane-based Pokemon were a mythical due to its importance, but Kanaloa is another possibility since it is basically an outsider (not being part of the first creation myth).
That does make more sense admitedly. If that is the case, perhaps the Legendary Duo are NOT the actual main duo of this generation? Thinking about it now, the 4 islands and guardians, this is the first time that we actually have mythological ties to the real world alongside the region. What if Solgaleo/Lunaala/Marshadow are the lesser trio, with Kane and his wife Uli as the true duo?

What if Solgaleo/Lunaala/Marshadow are the lesser trio, with Kane and his wife Uli as the true duo?
I don't think Uli is that important in myths. Kanaloa, Ku and Lono were Kane and Uli's sons, so I can see there being a trio with a Kane-based Pokemon being their Arceus, as it were. I don't think we need a "true duo", but Kanaloa can act as Kane's rival.

When I say true duo, I meant as in the true mythological sources for the lore of the region, in a way the true sun and moon of the region. Right now, emissary of the sun/moon sounds like Soltaleo and Lunala sounds to me like they are there to represent the higher beings in the natural order of things, protectors of the true power. In this sense, the Kane/Uli Duo would be the real goal which the evil team cannot reach because of the lesser trio. Makes sense as its not really somethinf they have done yet. Now if the children who are guardians would be another trio or the mythicals is an entirely different question.

Incidentally, Kane, Kanaloa, Lono and Ku are lords of the west, south, east and north, respectively. But Tapu Koko is probably based on Lono, and yet its island isn't one of the eastern ones.

I have transferred the strange souvenir to my alpha sapphire using the GTS just to see if anything happened. It didn't.

It must be something to do with sun/moon

The Strange Souvenir could do something for Sun and Moon but it could be another Azure Flute, God Stone, etc. Why have it in XY if it has something to do with Sun and Moon? Why put it in games where it does basically nothing?

The Strange Souvenir could do something for Sun and Moon but it could be another Azure Flute, God Stone, etc. Why have it in XY if it has something to do with Sun and Moon? Why put it in games where it does basically nothing?
The Azure flute and God Stone were never released. The Strange Souvenir's purpose could be as simple as to allude to the new games and be just that--a souvenir. It wouldn't surprise me if in Alola, it has the same in-game function as a Pokedoll or Fluffy Tail.

The Azure flute and God Stone were never released. The Strange Souvenir's purpose could be as simple as to allude to the new games and be just that--a souvenir. It wouldn't surprise me if in Alola, it has the same in-game function as a Pokedoll or Fluffy Tail.

It is certainly possible, although there is still a considerable difference, in that the Azure Flute and the God Stone never actually appeared in the games to begin with. They were left in the code - the Strange Souvenir is a gift that actually is given to you for following through with a minor sidequest.

It is certainly possible, although there is still a considerable difference, in that the Azure Flute and the God Stone never actually appeared in the games to begin with. They were left in the code - the Strange Souvenir is a gift that actually is given to you for following through with a minor sidequest.
Yes--I mentioned that difference.

People are saying Tapu Koko doesnt sound like a real pokemon name, but we have had other different pokemon names, like Ho-oh and porygon2. Tapu Koko are two separate words that mean Sacred Blood in Hawaiian, while the game is in english. Pokemon were refered to by the description of what they are before, but that was in the game language. It doesnt make sense to call a pokemon by a name other than its own after the player has already meet it.
The strange souvenir might be left in XY, but Im almost sure it was there to foreshadow gen VII, at least. If there are four guardians that protect each island, and are worshiped in that island, then, the strange souvenir might be one of the island guardians, not necessarily Tapu Koko.

The strange souvenir might be left in XY, but Im almost sure it was there to foreshadow gen VII, at least. If there are four guardians that protect each island, and are worshiped in that island, then, the strange souvenir might be one of the island guardians, not necessarily Tapu Koko.
I think it's one of the other three, since I can't see it being called a "curious little thing". Hopefully, the guardians are all fairly distinct from each other.

I think the SS Guardian is the Kane parallel itself, what with being the guardian of the region itself.

So we know Tapu Koko's typing and it's actually compatible with my assumption about the Lono basis:

Lono the rolling thunder,
The heaven that rumbles,
The disturbed sea,
says the chant.
Your bodies, O Lono, are in the heavens,
A long cloud, a short cloud,
A watchful cloud,
An overlooking cloud; in the heavens (it is),
The word Lono belongs not only to the idea of sound but also to that of hurling, as a spear.
Lono was the god of healing, a peaceful god prayed to for protection and worshipped by farmers. He was the god of fertility for the land and for this people, the god of rain and abundant crops. Lono was lord of the clouds, thunder and lightning, a god that presided over a time of peace and the months of harvest.

The Strange Souvenir most likely pertains to another guardian. I'm still betting on Kane being its basis. Fairy being the common secondary type is likely, too.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are going to be straightfoward about their colors and typing. Melemele is yellow, so Electric/Fairy always was a good guess. However, would that mean the others are Water-Grass-Fire/Fairy, going by the dex? Kanaloa being a water type makes sense, its represented by a squid, but Grass/Fairy for Kane is weird, as Fire/Fairy fits Ku(god of war) much more.

Als, why is Hala fighting you WITH tapu Koko? Don't tell me there are 4 major ritual battles or something to summon the legendaries, that would be so boss.

Tapu Koko's ability triggers Electric Terrain, so two of the guardians being associated with Misty Terrain and Grassy Terrain is possible. That means that one might be Grass/Fairy and the other a pure Fairy type.

They could add a new terrain move, or even more. Grass would only fit Lono due to the harvest theme, so Grassy Train might not be suitable for any of the others. And to be honest, it would be underwhelming.

Kanaloa would work with either Water or Ghost. I'd prefer the latter, but they might surprise us by not using Fairy for all four. If Ghost/Fairy is used for Kanaloa, Water/Fairy could work for Kane since he is also linked to water in myths.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom