• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

DISCUSSION: The Strangest Thing You've Ever Done in Fanfiction

BackSet

RIP BrawlBRSTMs3
Reaction score
What do you think some of the weirdest, strangest, or out there things you've ever done in fanfiction are.

One of the strangest for me, in my opinion, is that in a currently unwritten fic I gave Looker a Magatama of the Ace Attorney Variety.

Juliko

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
I wrote some weird stuff when I was in high school, and one thing I wrote was not only strange, but absolutely horrible and disgusting. I probably shouldn't mention it here since it's kinda NSFW.

canisaries

now i am the law karen
Reaction score
@Juliko yo DM me I wanna hear

I use very few canon characters, so I probably don't have the exact type of stories you're looking for - though I have written very strange things. I suppose if you'd consider my Red to be an interpretation of an actual official incarnation, though (which he isn't, as instead he's an interpretation from a subfandom incarnation, that being TPP), he'd definitely qualify. As outlandish as some fanfic Reds get, I doubt many surpass mine, the homidical cultist in love with both an omanyte and an unholy god of chaos. In terms of strangeness, that's only the beginning, as Hunter, Haunted would show you. Unfortunately I think mentioning any would be pretty spoilery.

In Seiren, though, I can tell you that he tries to seduce a pop star inkay to ruin her career, and in Vivarium, he eats dog food.

Outside the fics of that universe, I have PMD(ish) works. One of them, Dragony, has an Eevee swallow the scale of a Drampa. The twist in Pletora's Story is also quite strange, but again, spoilers.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've had plans for a JoJo crossover in which certain Pokémon characters would have Stands. I may just make it pure JoJo, though, and in that case there's really no way to be weirder than the source material itself.

Beth Pavell

Thesaurus rex
Reaction score
Strangest thing? Hm, hard to say, I suppose. One candidate might be the character of Captain Guinevere "Smoky Gwen" Vesparo, technically for an RPG, but close enough to fanfic. She was a deconstruction of the Jack Sparrow type, deliberately as unglamorous and unappealing as possible. She made sense within that universe, so how strange she really was is very much up for debate.

Unless the concept of Kanto: There and Back Again is strange - a travelogue in the voice of an in-universe author

Misfit Angel

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
The strangest thing I wrote was back in the early chapters of the original incarnation of Land of the Roses. The scene was a coordination contest, and one of the contestants competing that night was a professional stripper. I didn't actually explicitly describe anything, but I do regret implying what I did (spoiler: she gave her Machoke a lap dance, much to the horror of the crowd and the other contestants, as the "camera" cut away to a technical difficulty display). That's definitely getting cut from the pending rewrite, and honestly shouldn't have survived the polishing project I did a couple years back.

Outside of that, I don't think I've done much in the way of strangeness, other than casually brush up against the subject of "it's okay, she's actually 800 years old" to try to get across the idea that one of my characters (an ancient sorceress who practices blood magic to take on the guise of a teenager) was weird and unsettling in all the worst ways (again, nothing explicit).

I'm not really a fan of writing weird, and I doubt I'll do much of it going forward. I'm getting too old for it.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
The premise of my main fic is fairly niche. Pokemon becoming pokemon-human hybrids. I also try to write all my pokemon characters as having distinct appearances from the cookie cutter approach that's standard in fanworks, sometimes quite drastically. (I've heard my purrloin isn't particularly identifiable as such as she's a tortoiseshell and purrloin don't have highly distinct physical characteristics besides their colouration. Whoops.)

I really like weird stuff (of a particular flavour) in fiction, it just hasn't shown up all that much in my relatively modest body of fanfiction. I have some pretty weird RPG characters, though. One is a hairless dude from a far-future Mars trying to restore technological literacy but has sacrificed his humanity in the search of knowledge. Another is basically a flamboyant, royal, anticapitalist batman.

Nitro Indigo

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I think the weirdest idea I've ever come up with for a fanfic is a Legend of Zelda adult timeline AU where Jirachi was the spirit of the Triforce who always existed, and then turned every living thing into a Pokémon during the backstory of The Wind Waker. I never got far enough in the fanfic to explain the backstory, but search Secret of the Great Sea on Fanficiton.net or FictionPad if you want second-hand embarrassment. It was one of the first fanfics I ever wrote.