• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: The Strangest Thing You've Ever Done in Fanfiction

BackSet

You Could Use Some Imagination
Reaction score
What do you think some of the weirdest, strangest, or out there things you've ever done in fanfiction are.

One of the strangest for me, in my opinion, is that in a currently unwritten fic I gave Looker a Magatama of the Ace Attorney Variety.

I wrote some weird stuff when I was in high school, and one thing I wrote was not only strange, but absolutely horrible and disgusting. I probably shouldn't mention it here since it's kinda NSFW.

@Juliko yo DM me I wanna hear

I use very few canon characters, so I probably don't have the exact type of stories you're looking for - though I have written very strange things. I suppose if you'd consider my Red to be an interpretation of an actual official incarnation, though (which he isn't, as instead he's an interpretation from a subfandom incarnation, that being TPP), he'd definitely qualify. As outlandish as some fanfic Reds get, I doubt many surpass mine, the homidical cultist in love with both an omanyte and an unholy god of chaos. In terms of strangeness, that's only the beginning, as Hunter, Haunted would show you. Unfortunately I think mentioning any would be pretty spoilery.

In Seiren, though, I can tell you that he tries to seduce a pop star inkay to ruin her career, and in Vivarium, he eats dog food.

Outside the fics of that universe, I have PMD(ish) works. One of them, Dragony, has an Eevee swallow the scale of a Drampa. The twist in Pletora's Story is also quite strange, but again, spoilers.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've had plans for a JoJo crossover in which certain Pokémon characters would have Stands. I may just make it pure JoJo, though, and in that case there's really no way to be weirder than the source material itself.

Strangest thing? Hm, hard to say, I suppose. One candidate might be the character of Captain Guinevere "Smoky Gwen" Vesparo, technically for an RPG, but close enough to fanfic. She was a deconstruction of the Jack Sparrow type, deliberately as unglamorous and unappealing as possible. She made sense within that universe, so how strange she really was is very much up for debate.

Unless the concept of Kanto: There and Back Again is strange - a travelogue in the voice of an in-universe author

The strangest thing I wrote was back in the early chapters of the original incarnation of Land of the Roses. The scene was a coordination contest, and one of the contestants competing that night was a professional stripper. I didn't actually explicitly describe anything, but I do regret implying what I did (spoiler: she gave her Machoke a lap dance, much to the horror of the crowd and the other contestants, as the "camera" cut away to a technical difficulty display). That's definitely getting cut from the pending rewrite, and honestly shouldn't have survived the polishing project I did a couple years back.

Outside of that, I don't think I've done much in the way of strangeness, other than casually brush up against the subject of "it's okay, she's actually 800 years old" to try to get across the idea that one of my characters (an ancient sorceress who practices blood magic to take on the guise of a teenager) was weird and unsettling in all the worst ways (again, nothing explicit).

I'm not really a fan of writing weird, and I doubt I'll do much of it going forward. I'm getting too old for it.

The premise of my main fic is fairly niche. Pokemon becoming pokemon-human hybrids. I also try to write all my pokemon characters as having distinct appearances from the cookie cutter approach that's standard in fanworks, sometimes quite drastically. (I've heard my purrloin isn't particularly identifiable as such as she's a tortoiseshell and purrloin don't have highly distinct physical characteristics besides their colouration. Whoops.)

I really like weird stuff (of a particular flavour) in fiction, it just hasn't shown up all that much in my relatively modest body of fanfiction. I have some pretty weird RPG characters, though. One is a hairless dude from a far-future Mars trying to restore technological literacy but has sacrificed his humanity in the search of knowledge. Another is basically a flamboyant, royal, anticapitalist batman.

I think the weirdest idea I've ever come up with for a fanfic is a Legend of Zelda adult timeline AU where Jirachi was the spirit of the Triforce who always existed, and then turned every living thing into a Pokémon during the backstory of The Wind Waker. I never got far enough in the fanfic to explain the backstory, but search Secret of the Great Sea on Fanficiton.net or FictionPad if you want second-hand embarrassment. It was one of the first fanfics I ever wrote.

I wrote a some-few-hundred-words-or-so oneshot slamming two entirely separate fanfics together, just because both of them feature things being yeeted. No regrets.

I'm currently writing a fanfic where two characters from Friendship is Magic annoy a minor Power Rangers villain... slowly. I'm apprehensive about writing it:
  • Unlike Pokémon crossovers, I don't know if the Fimfiction populace would want to read it.
  • Said villain is so minor, I feel like I'm writing her out-of-character even though she doesn't have a character in canon, thanks to a year of headcanoning.
  • I don't write major, canon MLP characters very much because I've never been that into it.

Last edited:
I've written some rather cough "questionable" stuff, especially in high school, which was around the time I first started writing (technically, I started late middle school, but it really kicked off around high school, helping me cope with my depression, before taking a life of its own). I still occasionally dabble in rather "dark" themed stuff nowadays (NSFW stuff, most relating to my ahem kink, though more standard NSFW does get written), but I generally don't do that anymore unless prompted to (or, occasionally, if I'm commissioned by someone to do so). For the most part, most of my standard writing is generally light, at worst T-rated for mild stuff (like mild curses), though my next project (which I posted the groundwork here for advice) will probably get a higher rating due to more "advanced" themes, like war, sexual themes, violence, and so on.

Although I will admit that, way back in my high school days, I had a very terrible habit where I'd write the majority of the starting point in my series, blank on the middle part, then write the ending, so most previous series have pretty much died as a result. Psychic Duelist Django is the first series I've written that will actually be finished from start to end. Soul of a Dragon Prince will also, eventually, be finished, but since I need to replay the game it's based off of so I can get actual quotes, that'll be a while, so it's on hiatus as a result.

But, overall, the "oddest" stuff I've done has been NSFW-related, usually with certain "dark" themes involved with fictional characters. I generally don't do that anymore unless I get an itch for it (which is extremely rare now), but I have done some rather suggestive stuff in years past. So, I guess that's the "odd" stuff I've done in fanfiction.

I’m currently writing a crossover based on a two-chapter absurdly cringey crossover someone else wrote, just because I liked the concept. And these are my odd ideas:
  • For one chapter, everyone gets a stand (yes, a Jojo stand).
  • On top of the filler episodes that make up 90% of the anime I’m technically rewriting, I plan to add my own filler (as if 90+ episodes of Kirby filler aren’t enough).
  • A prophecy based on clocks.
  • One of the protagonists ended up de-aging in the original, and I am keeping that.
  • Draw one of the chapters as a comic, because its plot revolves around the comic art style being continuously changed from the halfway point onwards.
  • Attempting to somehow make a Kirby/Hollow Knight crossover work.

This time, I’ve written a commercial break into a chapter theorizing how anthropomorphic bug anatomy works.

And I’m totally keeping it.

Fanfics are not my thing, but I like Roleplaying.

Let's talk about my sister, who used to be an Avid Wattpad user. Well... she used to write Minecraft Fanfictions. You see, we liked Minecraft back then, when everyone liked it. And she liked watching an Old Minecraft Youtuber called Graser10. So yeah, she made a fanfic which was a OTP of Her and that Youtuber.

She hates it everytime I bring it up cause she's already in college.

If you want a link, I don't use Wattpad, and she probably deleted it.

@Nitro Indigo Silk and Stars. I think I’ve been kinda slow with writing chapter 3 lately, but at least I should be somewhat able to write past the first segment today.

Oh goodness.

Disturbing? Fifteen year old me enjoyed writing NSFW things involving certain gym leaders. I actually found quite a few of my drabbles while reviving my old laptop a few months ago the horror I felt... is something I will never forgot. I fell victim to every terrible and cringe-worthy "erotica" descriptor sentence a fifteen year old with slow internet could get their hands on, including "their tongues battled for dominance."

Strange? I once wrote an AU Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Harry Potter crossover fic in which I oneshot Hermione and Link. I have so many regrets about that I can't even begin to describe. I believe I had Link as a Red-esque type trainer protagonist had Sheik ??? as the deuteragonist and Brock as the antagonist. Threw Hermione in there for lulz and romance.

I cancelled that My Little Pony/Power Rangers crossover because I didn't think anyone else would find it funny. I seem to care more about attention on Fimfiction than AO3 - perhaps because the former feels less lonely due to its layout?

I fell victim to every terrible and cringe-worthy "erotica" descriptor sentence a fifteen year old with slow internet could get their hands on, including "their tongues battled for dominance."
I love how every single person who's written something vaguely erotic or otherwise titillating has written this line. It makes me feel less insecure about doing it myself in my early days.

One candidate might be the character of Captain Guinevere "Smoky Gwen" Vesparo, technically for an RPG, but close enough to fanfic. She was a deconstruction of the Jack Sparrow type, deliberately as unglamorous and unappealing as possible.

I stumbled on my actual description for this:

At the end of the bar, a dishevelled woman dressed in a ragged, travel-stained coat sits hunched over a bottle. From beneath a tattered tricorn spills a tumble of tangled hair, obscuring your view of her face. A smell of tobacco smoke and old rum hangs around her like a dense mist, and underneath her stool, you can see an old chainsword resting against the bar.”

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom