• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Team Rocket dynamic

Jo-Jo

Reaction score
This is about something I've possibly imagined, but it seemed worth asking about all the same.

In the early days of Pokemon, Meowth often functioned as the common sense of the Team Rocket trio (or the least insane member, at any rate). Jessie and James would go off into reveries together, or have shared episodes of silliness, like their gleeful behaviour when they were running Salon Roquet. In these times, it was Meowth who told them off, beat them into submission, or just sweatdropped and got out of their way until the destruction had run its course. Although Jessie, James and Meowth are clearly soulmates and are destined to grow old together, Jessie and James particularly came across as kindred spirits.

That was then, but nowadays, there seems to have been a shift in TR's behaviour towards each other. Obviously, Meowth started his Giovanni fantasies and subsequently left all sanity behind. But from AG onwards, it seems more and more as if Jessie's become the crazy lady, indulging her delusions of grandeur alone, while James has joined Meowth by the sidelines to sigh and pray for it all to end. Part of the original appeal of the TR trio was James's blatant gender-bending, including his and Jessie's relationship as a flamboyant pair of girlfriends. Now, it seems to me as though James has been pushed into the role of the downtrodden man, and Jessie into the role of the shrew. James's daydream of horror where he imagines being married to Jessie exemplifies that.

Am I dreaming this, or has anyone else noticed it, too?

I think Meowth's change of nature came about because of the events of Mewtwo Returns, when he saw Giovanni for the sadistic bastard he really is. So to rectify working for him and putting him on a pedistal, he created a fantasy version of the Boss and loves the delusion.

James has been made more of a "geek" in the past few seasons, especially when it comes to his collectables. Sure he's had his cards since the first season, but he never got clingy and obsessive about them like he does about things now.

Yes, I'd love to see more genderbending. But then I like that anyway.

The irony in James' image of being married to Jesse, the one that horrified him so much, is that it's basically exactly the same as what he has *now*.

If she hadn't left and had instead became the show's resident coordinator, I suspect Ash and Misty would have a quite similar relationship by now (with Brock in Meowth's place).

I have noticed also, that they hardly try to hurt each other as muc as they did in the Indigo league. Meowth has moved in to being a bit nastier as well to Jessie and James. I hear him always slipping insults to James during their blast-offs. I guess all of those years of getting kicked around has taken his toll. I do agree with Blackjack on Meowth's fantasies though. It is probably a way to make Giovanni more of a person and less of a sadistic monster.

Jessie is much more assertive than she was before. Now with their plans, it's either do it my way or do it my way plus her screaming at them. At the same time she has toned down her anger towards her James and Meowth as well as some other people. Take the Saffron city contest a long time ago. In the old days, she would have murdered James and Cacnea for getting mangled in her hair. Now she justs start moaning in pain.

James has also became a bit more confident, throwing little side insults to Jessie here and there. His pokemon can reflect the greatest change in him. He used to be an slightly evil, heartless person with only Pokemon on his mind when he had Weezing and Victrebell. Now when he has Carnivine and Mime.Jr he has become not only a good trainer, but also a better person as well with only a few hints of being a jerk.

And that's my analysis of Team Rocket ^-^

I've noticed they atleast seem to becoming slowly more competent...somewhat. Jessie doesn't cheat anymore during Contests, for example.

I miss the days when James would crossdress. He only did it like ONCE over the course of AG, in the Skitty ep I believe when he wore the woman's dress with the yellow wig, I'm sure you guys know which one I mean.

Anyway as I've said before, the writers have pretty much made Jessie psychotic in the newer seasons. Jessie used to have a rational side to her, but nowadays she's gone completely nuts and James/Meowth seem to have no choice but to follow her.

To be honest though there's been a noticeable shift in nearly all the characters since the anime first started, except maybe Brock, and that just goes to show you how things change over the course of a 10 year anime.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom