• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The TILT Thread (Today I Learned That…)

TIL in-depth about "The Moon Illusion".

You know when you see the moon looking larger than usual? It's just an optical illusion called "The Moon Illusion".

There's still some mystery regarding it's scientific explanation, but a usual one is potentially due to perspective, and seeing objects and/or a horizon in close proximity to compare the moon to. It's a fascinating rabbit hole

People bet on when the Tanana River in Alaska thaws out after Winter. There is even a special set up designed to provide the exact timing, by having a tripod frozen to the ice connected via line to a nearby tower. When the ice breaks up, the tripod starts moving along the river, which breaks the line.

TIL the phrase "Holy Toledo" refers to the old Spanish Kingdom of Toledo due to the cultural influence of the three major Abrahamic religions. Also, "holy mackerel" is apparently a euphemism for "Holy Mary" or "Holy Mother of God."

TIL I learned in my Danish lessons how the numbers from 50 to 90 are counted.

Basically, the number 20 is used as the base unit (as in, "a number of times 20"), meaning that counting to 60 is literally "three times 20". The same goes for 80 (four times 20, just like the we say that number in French I just realized !). Sounds fair enough, right ? When written in danish, the complete writing would be "tresindstyve" for 60 and "firesindstyve". A bit long, but still short enough imo. Now when it comes to counting the 50, 70 and 90 numbers, it's basically "2/3/4 x 20 + half of 20". For 50, the complete form would be "halvtredjesindstyve", which is obviously way too long to write. Thankfully, you can write these numbers without the "-sindstyve" at the end, so you have, for 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 : halvtreds, tres, halvfjerds, firs and halvfems.

And get this : apparently, up until August 2009, Danish banknotes of 50 DKK were labeled femti kroner and on a cheque (or official document) it is written treti, firti, femti, seksti, syvti, otti and niti to complement the amount written in numbers... Which means that in the context of banking, counting numbers is far easier than the regular numbers, and in fact it is quite similar to the english way of writing those numbers.

I only have one question left to ask... What were they thinking !?

Ooh I have another

TILT katniss and Peeta from the hunger games used to have the ship name…

peeniss. Yes, that’s what it used to actually be. And it’s sometimes still used lol
edit: theres also KatPee…. oh god why did the two main characters have to have such unfortunate names

anyways I see the name “everlark” more often, which Is made from their last names, Everdeen and Mellark

Last edited:
TILT there's an Internet challenge known as The "Little Drummer Boy Challenge", where people attempt to go the entire Christmas season (typically starting midnight of Black Friday through Christmas Eve) without hearing some variation of The Little Drummer Boy.

And if you're curious, i've already lost, lmao

TILT there's an Internet challenge known as The "Little Drummer Boy Challenge", where people attempt to go the entire Christmas season (typically starting midnight of Black Friday through Christmas Eve) without hearing some variation of The Little Drummer Boy.

And if you're curious, i've already lost, lmao
Still haven’t heard it lol

Today I learned that Comfeys T-pose looks like this:

comfey.png

It's really interesting looking at the models in the models resource, you should give that website a look if you've got time to burn.

Not actually today, but this is something that I kept on forgetting to add here, haha, so I'm going to do it here and now while it's still on my mind!

Today I learned that betta fish is actually spelled, well, "betta" and not "beta" like I always thought it did. I had one as one of my first "pets" of sorts when I was really young, so that's how I thought about that!

Not sure if this is actually true or not, so do take this with a grain of salt. But if it's true, it's hilarious in a slightly dark and cynical kind of way.

Today I learned that on the reality TV series Shark Tank — or Dragons' Den for those of you in Canada, the UK, and other places; we call it Shark Tank here in the U.S. — there's apparently a tendency for contestants to sweat profusely while doing their pitches. This implies that perhaps the room that they're in is super-warm or something, but then this tendency to sweat seems to elude the titular sharks who appear totally fine in comparison. There is a "conspiracy theory" of sorts that the producers are actually making the room warm on purpose (!!!) to make it seem like the figurative heat of the "sharks" (or "dragons", haha) are getting to the contestants, while everyone else gets air conditioning or a fan next to them or something. The video that I first heard this from mentioned it as a semi-joke, but...

Back
Top Bottom