• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Timeline (Warning: Wailord Sized Spoilers)

@Piplup;
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't talk to the scientist in Mr. Stone's office after the Delta Episode.

I didn't. I guess I should check this out later then.

Meteorites are not Rayquaza's equivalent of a Mega Stone--they're its food. Its "Mega Stone" is its Mikado Organ--an organ specific to Rayquaza that lets it digest meteorites and store their energy for Mega Evolution. Supposedly all Rayquazas live on space debris and atmospheric moisture.

So that specific meteorite wasn't anything special and it's just another one of many "snacks" for Rayquaza which it uses as energy that can also make it mega evolve? ok then... watching that scene though totally made it seem like the specific meteorite is acting as its mega stone (it even has the mega evolution symbol on it after it transforms in your bag)
Still not exactly explaining why Dragon Ascend is needed then. If it is merely its body that is allowing for mega evo to happen, then actually all Rayquaza should be able to do it regardless of anything.
(Again I still wish they just made it a primal and used the Jade Orb... it'd make sense to me more...)

@Piplup;
It looked like a Mega Stone because of what Maxie/Archie were doing on Mt. Pyre. They started to infuse it with the Earth's energy to transform it into a Mega Stone, and every time it started glowing, it was because it was near another source of energy (e.g., getting your keystone, getting the orbs). It's not specific to whose Mega Stone it is, but it didn't finish its transformation and was probably just a very refined meteorite for Rayquaza.

Dragon Ascent is a game mechanic, that's something you have to deal with. It doesn't make sense why it had to be tutored it by Zinnia rather than it learning the move itself upon re-energizing itself, it its name makes it clear its ascending to its god-like powers.

Say what you will, but truth is the gen 6 games - XY and ORAS both - suffer from some very hard-to-swallow information compared to the past gens. Everything used to be much simpler and easier to understand and accept up until now. I know I'm just repeating myself and there's no point in me further whining about everything, so I guess from now on I should try forcing myself to accept things are the way they are, as hard as it is for me to do so.

Also this is a bit random and not necessarily on topic but.... the Intriguing Stone... what was up with it? I recieved it from that Verdanturf girl and when shown to Mr. Stone he seems to imply it is the Pidgeotite, rather than take it and give me the Pidgeotite...? which somehow causes the Intriguing Stone to all of a sudden look completely different now too... (correct me if I didn't interpret that event correctly cause that's another thing that left me a bit confused)
And if it truly IS somehow the Pidgeotite, gotta wonder what was its purpose being in XY... it would make more sense if you could transfer it over from XY to ORAS and reveal its true purpose there, but instead it remains useless in XY.

Say what you will, but truth is the gen 6 games - XY and ORAS both - suffer from some very hard-to-swallow information compared to the past gens. Everything used to be much simpler and easier to understand and accept up until now. I know I'm just repeating myself and there's no point in me further whining about everything, so I guess from now on I should try forcing myself to accept things are the way they are, as hard as it is for me to do so.

Also this is a bit random and not necessarily on topic but.... the Intriguing Stone... what was up with it? I recieved it from that Verdanturf girl and when shown to Mr. Stone he seems to imply it is the Pidgeotite, rather than take it and give me the Pidgeotite...? which somehow causes the Intriguing Stone to all of a sudden look completely different now too... (correct me if I didn't interpret that event correctly cause that's another thing that left me a bit confused)
And if it truly IS somehow the Pidgeotite, gotta wonder what was its purpose being in XY... it would make more sense if you could transfer it over from XY to ORAS and reveal its true purpose there, but instead it remains useless in XY.

Well, in XY, you trade it to a Hiker in Shalour City for a Sun stone. I have no idea why a Sun stone specifically.

Honestly, I think Pokemon is at its strongest when it simply focuses on self-contained stories...I think that's why people like BW, it really didn't worry about connecting with the other series too much, you had a strong plot, and then BW2 threw in lots of cameos without really explaining things, but it was in the post-game and just a cool easter-egg for fans. I thought ORAS was actually a pretty fun game, plot-wise (I've yet to get to Delta), because it was fairly simple, made sense for the most part (and actually improved on RS by giving Archie and Maxie solid goals that weren't as goofy and vague), and mainly because it seemed to focus on Hoenn, and Hoenn alone.

I hope Game Freak just focuses on that in the future, and doesn't really care about continuity issues, or needing to explain why you can catch-so-and-so Pokemon here. I mean, yes, throws us some cute, non-intrusive references to past Regions and Characters, but imo Pokemon just isn't that well-suited to having a big, well-written lore. Give us some cool Legendaries with neat, localized mythos, characters with interesting goals and motives, and nice world-building on a small scale.

ok so at times both the timelines and this discussion feel like a complete trainwreck, but I just want to point out a few things, cause it's all about language already (tbh i just enjoyed the games and don't care too much)

"And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region?"

this sentence can be interpreted in quite a few ways, all depending on where you put the stress. Which we don't and can't know as this is written language, not spoken language

- inquires as to what the reason is the examples are in Kalos

- this one would be if you were quizzing someone on mega evolution (the answer would be 'because of the weapon')

- if he'd stressed only, there could still be two meanings; either it happens only in the Kalos region, or the examples he mentions only have been happening in Kalos for a long time. And that would again depends on what other words in the line are stressed

I mean, if we're gonna pin it all on one line...

Liekly, we'll never know, as we can't know how exactly Sycamore said this line

Also, I'd like to point out that this is the translation of the original Japanese text. Granted, we can assume the translation is corrected (it better be) but nuances can easily be lost in translation, so if there's several ways to properly translate the original japanese line, this might simply be the one they went with in the end (for whatever reason)

as for the intriguing stone, well, it's exactly what it is, not? an interesting mysterious stone that might or might not be special. in XY you get a stone that turns out to be pretty but ordinary, in ORAS it turns out to be a mega stone (as for why it changes colour, they prolly didn't think of making the item image already match the mega stone or they decided it wasn't worth it)

I shall forever cling to the belief that G1 --> G2 --> G3 --> G4 --> G5 --> G6 is a thing.
Yes, I do know that G1/G3 --> G2/G4 --> G5/G6 has been confirmed, but I just don't like it due to the "newly discovered Pokémon" and whatnot.

Essentially, this is my headcanon.
TL1: Yellow --> Crystal --> Emerald --> Platinum --> Black / White --> Black / White 2 --> NKW X / Y
TL2: KW Yellow --> KW Crystal --> Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire --> KW Black / White --> KW Black / White 2 --> X / Y

Key:
TL=Timeline
NKW=No Kalos war
KW=Kalos war

I'm still shocked of people trying to imply Sycamore's line is saying anything other than what they obviously tried to have him say there...
So can anyone please give us the Japanese line? And hopefully someone with good enough Japanese skills can translate it? Sure it'd be more-or-less the same but I think Japanese text is often more dry and to the point, so maybe it'd help clear this up for anyone who seriously doubts what Sycamore said there.

I just finished the Delta Episode, and I'm geeking out really bad over here.

I think what's really interesting, at least to me, is how Zinnia in the Delta Episode brings up the possibility of alternate realities. For now, my theory is the main series games that are pre-Kalos are a part of that "alternate dimension" that Zinnia mentions, the one where there's no Kalos war and Mega Evolutions. With the revelation of Hoopa, along with the time-space stuff we already had with the Sinnoh legends, I'm hoping that the next new games that we get explores this possibility and has more ties to Mega Evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom