• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Touch Screen

Thebettercake

Ouch, my pelvis.
Reaction score
So, I had this DS for a long time(1-3 years) and the touch screen started to "die" so now I can't use the touch screen that much. Do you think that they'll involve the touch screen a lot in the new remakes, or they'll just be the same as the DPPT series?

You can read about it on the 'Pedia:

"The Pokémon storage system, bag, party interface and the screen that pops up when pressing the Start or X buttons in the previous games all use the Nintendo DS's touch screen."

This was on the HGSS page.

Please search to see if what you want has been confirmed or announced before starting a redundant thread.

The touch screen is heavily used but buttons are still available. Now if it had the control scheme it should have had( face buttons for lefties to move and everything else by touch or the d-pad for righties) then you would be in trouble.

Well, not necessarily,its just that its use has been implemented much more in these games. Basically, it would be easier to use the touch screen, but I think you'll been able to use the Control pad aswell.

There's improved touchscreen usage, but the buttons will probably still be fully usable to control everything.

More specifically:

HeartGold and SoulSilver will not only incorporate touchscreen controlls, but they will see an improvement over Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum's use of the touchscreen. In HG/SS you'll be able to use the touchscreen to control the in-game menu. Also, the Pokédex has been improved by incorporating scrollbar-based scrolling (instead of the pokeball spinner), and by having the entries arranged in a table with five entries to a row instead of being organized as a list. So now, instead of having to scroll through 493 entries, you'll only have to scroll through 99 rows, a very welcome change.

http://209.123.162.177/~vash//tpm/games/hgss/

I'm just glad they're *finally* using the touch screen for something since it was horribly under-utilized in DPPt.

I'm just glad they're *finally* using the touch screen for something since it was horribly under-utilized in DPPt.

If anything was a pain in the ass when it came to DPt, it was the box storage system. I mean, moving individual Pokemon with the stylus (and moving to a different box) would have taken a third of the time it took to move them by mashing the arrow buttons; why on earth didn't they put the actual boxes on the bottom screen? So they coud use ONE-TENTH OF THE BOTTOM SCREEN just to have two buttons, one for giving Pokemon marks that nobody gave a crap about? At the very least, they could have displayed all 18 boxes across the remainder of the bottom screen so we could easily access any of them; they didn't even use about 9/10ths of the bottom screen. It really almost seems like the utilization of the boxes in DPt was intentionally made as horrid as possible just to piss us all off. It's so great that this will be fixed in HGSS!

As long as it's not used for movement, it's all good. I hate stylus controls for movement. So annoying.

^Same. My hand was always in the way of Link. -_-

Kamikarasu said:
If anything was a pain in the ass when it came to DPt, it was the box storage system. I mean, moving individual Pokemon with the stylus (and moving to a different box) would have taken a third of the time it took to move them by mashing the arrow buttons; why on earth didn't they put the actual boxes on the bottom screen? So they coud use ONE-TENTH OF THE BOTTOM SCREEN just to have two buttons, one for giving Pokemon marks that nobody gave a crap about? At the very least, they could have displayed all 18 boxes across the remainder of the bottom screen so we could easily access any of them; they didn't even use about 9/10ths of the bottom screen. It really almost seems like the utilization of the boxes in DPt was intentionally made as horrid as possible just to piss us all off. It's so great that this will be fixed in HGSS!

"Let's purposely not give this game its full potential so the next game will be better."

It's how Pokémon has worked since the very beginning. :p

QFT, except the mark part. I actually use markings; circle means that the Pokémon is caught in Platinum, square means that the Pokémon is Lv100, heart means that the Pokémon is shiny, star means that the Pokémon obtained from GTS, diamond means that the Pokémon seems to be hacked. I haven't figured out a meaning for the triangle symbol yet.

The thing about DPPt is that they really didn't do anything to make it *feel* like a DS game. There's the aforementioned box system and the touch screen movement (which, when done well, I actually prefer to D-pad movement), but the games' creators really didn't do anything that other DS games do. The second screen wasn't used for a map of the actual area you were in. The second screen wasn't used, in combination with the first screen, to create a larger image. It wasn't really used to display extra information. It wasn't used as a keyboard or a drawing tablet.

Instead, the touch screen was used for a bunch of Poketch apps, the majority of which could have been mapped out to the L and R buttons of a GBA. And the Underground, but *that* was done in such a boneheaded manner (using a touch pen while trying to manipulate the D-Pad is awkward, to say the least) that it almost doesn't count.

Really, the only thing DPPt did that absolutely *required* it to be on the DS was the Wi-Fi stuff. Everything else could have been done on the GBA without any problem at all.

Seabreak Path.

But other than that, yeah, DPPt was just a glorified Gen III with some 3D.

Correct me if i'm wrong as I didn't use the feature, but wasn't the poffin thingy exclusively controlled by the touch screen? If it was, and there is a similar feature in the remakes, you might miss out on something. But imo the contests in DP weren't anything special

Correct me if i'm wrong as I didn't use the feature, but wasn't the poffin thingy exclusively controlled by the touch screen? If it was, and there is a similar feature in the remakes, you might miss out on something. But imo the contests in DP weren't anything special

Yeah, I'll miss out on that. ;_;

I think they'll use the touch screen a lot. You should probably get a new DS, or HG/SS won't be as fun.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom