• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "Tough" PMD dungeons

Politoed666

#winning
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Figure I don't really do a whole lot outside of the TCG and mod forums, but I'm a big Mystery Dungeon player, and I figured I'd make an interesting thread about that. ITT, we talk about the following Mystery Dungeon dungeons, stories about our experiences, and strategies to beat them.
Zero Isle North
I consider this the easiest of the hard dungeons. Once you get to Lv.100, it's really no more difficult than any other dungeon. It has a nice payoff, too, with ten treasure chambers, the Golden Mask, and numerous Wonder Gummis and Joy Seeds (in a treasure chamber and at the end). Not too tough, nice reward.

Zero Isle Center
Although the strategy guide builds up ZIC as a super hard dungeon, I blew through it with Dialga. Of course, I had Time Tripper, the Time Shield, and my defenses were >200, but it's really extremely easy. I don't think I died at all...? The other Pokemon were dealing like 50 damage tops, including Kecleon. The problem is that when you pull off ZIC using a Pokemon like Dialga, there's really not a great payoff. What do you get when you finish? Three more Time Shields. Not real helpful, considering I'm probably never going to faint and lose my Time Shield anyway. :/

Zero Isle West
Not especially tough. It's not real long and bringing team members really helps in the early levels. I think of it as a mini ZIS. Decent payoff at the end, too, although it's not much compared to ZIN.

Zero Isle East
Really easy, you probably shouldn't die on this one. Allowing items essentially makes the dungeon as easy as the next one. Not a huge fan of the White Silk at the end, but for some people it's a nice bonus.

Zero Isle South
Got to B90F with a Pass Scarf, died to a Silver Wind. I was pissed. :x To me, the greatest part of ZIS isn't the treasure floor at the end, nor is it the Miracle Chest on B93F. Rather, it's the abundance of rare items on the floors. Joy Seeds, Life Seeds, Sitrus Berries, Keys, and Vitamins abound, and even if one is knocked out on, say, floor 40, they'll still head home with some pretty nice stuff.

Destiny Tower
Never really got past perhaps floor 50 in this one. It's pretty tough. Clearly, the Space Globe at the end is one of the best items in the game, but I don't like the absence of decent items on the actual dungeon floors. It's unlike Zero Isle South in this regard; ZIS has an abundance of Sitrus Berries, Joy Seeds, Life Seeds, Vitamins, Keys, etc. on the floors, along with the Miracle Chest on B93F, but Destiny Tower lacks anything interesting except the Space Globe. I'd like to clear it just to say I had, but that's about the only appeal Destiny Tower holds for me.

So yeah. Discuss! :D Hopefully there's not already a thread akin to this one, and hopefully you all have some fun stories and ideas regarding the hardest dungeons in the series. BTW, I didn't include dungeons from the original Red and Blue, since even ones like Joyous Tower tended to be pretty easy. You can talk about those, too, if you like. :] Maybe I'll edit the OP later.

~Poli

Last edited:
I will say that Zero Isle East, West, South, and north are hard, as well as the Dark Crater and Temporal Tower.

but that just my opinion.

Steam Cave Upper Level-Pretty easy if you're level 18+. Groudon's hard if you don't know what you're doing.

Zero Isle South and Destiny Tower, for overall hardest. They just pile the limitations on you...

Star Cave in the Special Episode was pretty tough too. Hail all the time, impossible boss battle, impossible-to-lose boss battle that you can still lose if your partner Diglett ever tried Earthquake, and not to mention a final boss you pretty much have to throw your ENTIRE inventory at. Yeah...

FYI, the chests at the end of Zero Isle Center were all meant to contain special items for your leader. I actually used it mostly to get some rare loose-end items for my storage collection. The deal here is that the Pokemon you want the item for- your leader- is not always the one you spoiled with all the Joy Seeds and Vitamins...

Wish Cave mostly. Too much of an effort to go all the way down 99 floors only to meet a Jirachi.

Aww, why did you only include the time/darkness/sky dungeons? It's not like Red/Blue don't have them.

Zero Island South. D8 It's bad enough you're knocked down to level one, only the LEADER may enter, yo! My poor Riolu got beat up by a stupid Chingling. OTL On the first floor. And you can't grind because you'll get blown out by the gust of wind. fffff It's hard to resist the urge to use my AR and clear that damn place...

When it comes down to Level 1, leader-only, no-inventory dungeons, it's usually the kind Pokemon you use that matters the most. Smoochum and Mew in particular are really good on their own.

Well, really, it's the only thing that matters seeing as you have no choice over anything else when going in there. >_> Other than that you just have to be careful with your moves.

Well, I did complete the level-one, 99-floor dungeons from the first Mystery Dungeon to get Celebi and Jirachi, but I never tried any of the Zero Isle dungeons since you didn't unlock any Pokemon from them. Felt pointless to me.

Ooh, if we can include special episodes of Sky, then allow me to say Bidoof's Wish, and In The Future Of Darkness. OTL Dear god.

Bidoof's Wish must be the hardest indeed. D8 Dugtrio, why, why, why, oh, WHY do you have the bright idea to use Earthquake when I busted by chops to find even ONE reviver seed!? Oh my god, I resorted to cheating in the end. OTL It was insanely hard.

That boss is hard, to say nothing of even getting there in the first place. ._. Only time I ever got knocked out by Hail. fffff

Wait, let's talk about ItFoD now. Grovy is a tough fighter, that he is. Dusk, though, he wanders off, before he joined, and gets himself into tough spots. He owns everything in one hit, but I still have to use MY turn to give him an oran berry I was hoping to save for Dialga. OTL

Then Bibi joins the group, and it got worse. OTL I told her to run and hide in the final boss battle, but no, Roar of Time has to hit everyone, and Grovy's attack turn of dig instead turns into heal-Bibi-so-she-don't-die turn, and Dusk is stuck picking off Dialga slowly yet surely. fffff

Them special episodes are tough-sauce indeed. D8 The only one I had an easy time with was "Today's Oh My Gosh!".

The hardest Dungeons were probably one of the isles. Took me 2 hours to get to the 99th floor. But it was worth it ;)

Any one of the restriction dungeons and Zero Island North, since even at L:91, I didn't get far. The hardest thing I managed to beat? I'm uncertain. For most of the dungeons themselves, all you have to do is come prepared and possibly grind a bit beforehand if you're dying too much. For the bosses, though, I will have to go to the last couple bosses of MD2 in the post game. (Regigigas and Darkrai) For this, it's not about being prepared, it's about positioning. Everyone has Intimidate, and if several of them are stacked on you, you will never get to attack. The idea is make it so fewer of them are next to you. (preferably only one) I think I put them pretty high on the list of hardest bosses I've ever fought because of that. It's pretty unfair.

Amazingly the hardest for me was Bidoof's Wish (but i was finally able to get it cleared after getting an insomniscope :D) which took me ~5-10 tries just to get ONE hit in on Jirachi :/ Fool would knock me out the 1st turn ;_;

And the Sky Peak Summit Pass, even though it's only 6 floors, good lord, i had to restart my game 3 times just to get past floor 4 x_X i had more trouble with that stage than i did getting to it! and both my partner and i were level 100! I guess the thing that made it harder was that shaymin would wander off and i not realize it until he'd get cornered by 3 pokemon taking turns killing the weak thing that he is T_T

I cleared Bidof's Wish on my first try...but Dark Crater...

EEVEE IS HARD MODE. THAT IS ALL.

I had trouble getting through Dark Crater on my first playthrough. I was a Turtwig, and my partner a Cyndaquil. Funnily enough, my partner was the one always dieing. In a volcano...useless fire mouse.
It was easier in this playthrough though, coz Im a Bulbasaur with a Solar Sash, and my partner is a Vulpix so fire cant harm us.

Ive tried Destiny Tower soooo many times, using Mewtwo, Palkia, Raikou, Groudon and Breloom. Strangely, I got the furthest with Breloom. Floor 72. Then KOd by a Silver Wind from God knows where. :mad:

I reckon I wouldve made it through ZIC if it wasnt for the Magnezone slowing me down when I tried going through. Its all water types, and Im a Lv 100 Venusaur.
ZIW keeps besting me too. All I want is the damn Silks, and freaking Medicham keep Psychic-ing me.

Im glad a game like PMD can still throw challenges at me, though.

The three absolute hardest dungeons I've ever gone through are That one with all the unkown after you meet team charm. It was a pain in the neck to get all of the right stones. You'd finally find the right unkown and 95% of the time it didn't have a stone. Then probably the zero isle dungeons. I've gotten to B62F on one of them before. That was it. And then the spacial rift. Palkia came out of nowhere and abducted me. I had 1 reviver seed when he came to get me. I counted how many times I had to try to get throgh that place. I tried 42 times. I got to palkia twice. I had to restart my game. I couldn't beat that dungeon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom