• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

THE Toughest Choice

Grass, Fire or Water?

• Total voters
I usually go for the water types. Then I started going for the fire types, and now...grass.

My username and signature show which of the three starter types is my favourite and that is Water. Although my favourite type is water I have sometimes chosen a grass or fire type starter so that I can use Water type Pokémon which are not starter Pokémon in my parties.

Fire, but only 'cause of there designs. 3/5 of the regions I've chose Fire, but if more starters are as cute as Oshawott, then I'll go for Water in later Generations.

Grass. Almost, if not all, can use Leech Seed, Razor Leaf, Poisonpowder, SleepPowder, Stun Spore, and more. The only grass starters I don't like are Meganium and Serperior. Bulbasaur is my favorite, but Turtwig is close.

I love water types, so that was an easy choice. I think water is my favourite type, Squirtle is my favourite Pokemon, so the choice came naturally.

Fire is the best type for offense out of those three so I usually go for that.

My favorite type in the way of design and gameplay is Water, followed semi-closely by Grass. I've never been into the Fire types as far as design goes, but I can't overlook them as far as ability goes. I almost always go with the Water types as my starters, but if for some reason I choose not too, then it'll usually be Grass.

Grass is my pick on this one. Not necessarily my favourite type, and that's why this is such a tough-ass choice!!!! Blaziken was too cool to ignore in RSE, I always picked Bulbasaur in RBY/FRLG because it could cruise through the first two gyms without any problem (trololo), Turtwig is just so powerful with Razor Leaf and Earthquake as STAB moves, and Jalorda has the perfect original moveset, compared to Emboar's disappointing level-up moves for its secondary type. (Seriously? Freaking Arm Thrust?)

P.S: For the record I never chose water-types.

I'm actually really surprised that Fire doesn't have more.

But I went with grass. I can't think of a single grass type that I don't like. I dunno, I just like the way foliage looks.

From a competitive standpoint, Water would be considered 'best', I think. They don't have a Stealth Rock weakness (unlike Fire), and their STAB moves aren't resisted by the common Steel-type (unlike Grass). They also have easy access to moves like Ice Beam to counter the Dragon- and Grass-types that resist them.
But I just like Water-types because they're so versatile, because of the symbolic meaning of adaptability, and because the sea is so mysterious.

While I'm an all Fire type lover I stopped chooseing them after the third generation. Adding Fighting was sorta useful but that just added more weaknesses to them which made it a little difficult. So I guess when it comes to gen 4-5 I would have to pick grass since they evolve into their third stage quicker and their very useful for dealing with strong water types.

Definitely water. Since grass types have so many weaknesses, they are easier to counter. all my starters i have chosen have been water types

Fire type because their are WAY cooler water types than the starters. (I like dual types) and I like electric types more than grass types and I got out of the habit of getting both so I can get other types like ground and fighting. Oh yeah and the first time( and only time) I chose anything other than fire as my first choice of the region was pearl. the only other fire type was rapidash and wound up not getting one and having a five mon team waiting for one and all the levitaters and psychics in Byron's gym pissed me off. Also fire is rarest.

Water for a couple reasons.

From a strictly competitive standpoint, Water is hands-down the best choice. Fire has too many common weaknesses, and Grass isn't good against anything that you couldn't better handle with a Water type except, of course, another Water type. Water is just fine against Poison and Flying, which Grass doesn't like. Look at any competitive team that isn't a sand or sunlight team. There's probably a Water type there. Usually not any Grass types. Back to Fire; Fire is a good move type, but it isn't very good to have. Stealth Rock is everywhere, and Ground and Water type attacks are quite common as well.

Water is also just cooler. If you're strictly asking "which starter type is coolest," then I'd have to say Fire. I love me some Charizard, Typhlosion and Blaziken. But, overall, Water has the cooler Pokemon. Blastoise, Poliwrath, Starmie, Gyarados, Lapras, Vaporeon, Kabutops, and that's just first gen. Just my opinion of course, but it's an easy vote for Water for me.

Water and grass. For some reason, i never choose fire except for the johto region.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom