• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The TRio's disregard for the Rocket Grunt uniforms.

owenpeterson

Reaction score
You know my disregard for Jessie, James, and Meowth. To further elaborate on this, let's discuss the TRio's dislike of the usual black Team Rocket grunt uniforms. If anyone recalls, during the Lugia saga in Johto, The TRio had to disguise themselves as actual Rocket grunts. Jessie expressed disdain over having to wear the usual outfits. I think it was because it clashes with their sense of fashion.

Unfortunately those three completely miss the point of the all black TR grunt uniforms with the black caps.

The design of the suits is designed for the sake of anonymity, intimidation and blending in with darkness. That way the Rocket grunts can steal Pokemon more efficiently.

Case in point: The batsuit from the Tim Burton Batman movies. With the exception of the yellow utility belt and batsymbol, the suit is ALL BLACK. That way Batman can blend into the shadows, and take down thugs by surprise, thus intimidating other thugs and making them afraid of him. Not to mention that he does this at night: the best time to use this method.

On the other hand, the TRio completely contradict this by wearing flashy white unis with a certain style, boast their "Prepare for Trouble" nonsense, and completely draw attention to themselves for the sake of fame and fortune. Which is why I believe that those three have so much in common with the Joker. They're obsessed with the hero, want to draw attention to themselves, and the logic makes no sense to anyone except themselves.

Maybe that's why Ash is able to kick their asses so often. If the TRio go by their own methods it makes the Team Rocket organization look like a joke. Keeping in the shadows and staying anonymous by wearing the standard black grunt unis would help keep the TR organization a force to be reckoned with.

What are your thoughts on this?

Firstly, I think that your comments about anonymity and blending in are a bit over-exaggerated. In that regard, the Rocket Grunt uniform is inherently illogical because, black or white, all of them have that big conspicuous "R" on the front, which very openly advertises the wearer as a member of one of the most notorious criminal organisations in the Pokemon universe. Why Giovanni considers this beneficial, I'll never know.

The white variant is simply to mark Jessie and James out as being clearly separate from the rest of the Rockets. For the viewers' benefit more than anyone else, so that they recognise them as being particularly special or distinguished for the purposes of the story. There's really not much more to it than that.

Finally, I doubt that the white uniform is really the true source of the TRio's woes. Butch and Cassidy use the more conventional coloration, and they're hardly a force to be reckoned with either. They've repeatedly gotten their asses kicked by Tracey (of all people).

Firstly, I think that your comments about anonymity and blending in are a bit over-exaggerated. In that regard, the Rocket Grunt uniform is inherently illogical because, black or white, all of them have that big conspicuous "R" on the front, which very openly advertises the wearer as a member of one of the most notorious criminal organisations in the Pokemon universe. Why Giovanni considers this beneficial, I'll never know.

The white variant is simply to mark Jessie and James out as being clearly separate from the rest of the Rockets. For the viewers' benefit more than anyone else, so that they recognise them as being particularly special or distinguished for the purposes of the story. There's really not much more to it than that.

Finally, I doubt that the white uniform is really the true source of the TRio's woes. Butch and Cassidy use the more conventional coloration, and they're hardly a force to be reckoned with either. They've repeatedly gotten their asses kicked by Tracey (of all people).

1. Even with the big red "R", if attacking in the night, they would still blend in with the shadows.

2. Out of context of the series. However I do recall an episode during Johto that they said that they created their own unis to reflect their sense of fashion and style.

3. I guess you are right about that. Maybe if Cassidy and Butch didn't use a motto and had worn caps or even a mask, then they might have been better.

I think that comparing the Team Rocket trio to the Joker is a huge stretch. Team Rocket is a group of saints compared to the murderous mad man that is the Joker. Their plans can be nonsensical, but that's part of the joke instead of showing how insane they are.

The episode where they get Delibird does confirm that they created their own uniform to express their personalities and sense of style. But it is more of a way to make the Team Rocket trio more distinct and unique from the rest of Team Rocket more than anything else. Things wouldn't be different if they had a black uniform. Sure, you can hide more easily at night, even with the giant R, but that doesn't really matter much when Team Rocket trio attacks primarily during the day. It didn't do anything for Cassidy and Butch either. I doubt not having a motto or wearing a caps/masks would change anything for them simply because they were demoted to carbon copies of Jessie and James by the time Chronicles started and they were always fighting against main characters, former main characters and even former minor characters with Ritchie. Of course they weren't going to win against any of them regardless of what uniform they had on.

Your post demonstrates a clear failure to understand the TRio. To quote Takeshi Shudo (the creator of the anime & the TRio):
Team Rocket appearing in Pokemon, even if just for a short time, have to be self-assertive and impress the viewers with their the sense of existence. They are characters whose self-respect is high and at least it’s them who are convinced that if they weren’t here, the anime called “Pokemon” would cease to exist. What they’re doing consequently ends up with a clumsy and idiotic result, but it’s because of their bad luck, as they themselves think they do their best. They’re proud of their own position in this show. Speaking about their role in the show, since they’re villains, their Pokemon’s unworthiness hasn’t been focused on. Cute or cool Pokemon are being held by the main characters. Because there is no “unworthy Pokemon”, they understand also their sadness. Their self-awareness is strong, but that’s because they’re good-natured by nature.

Belonging to Team Rocket, they may look as if they’re know-towing to their boss, and they actually do things they’re told to, but when they aren’t seen by him they’re acting impudently. They don’t wear uniforms matching to those of Team Rocket. In this difference from other members there’s also a self-awareness included. Really, they can’t lose sight of themselves while they look like they're belonging to the organization. Even if they’re villains, they’re not as much mere villains, since they’re proud and undoubtedly charming ones.

PS. I don't think the TRio (or Yamato/Kosanji) are Grunts.

I think when Kanto started Trio were supposed to be ranked high as you can see them leading that attack on the St. Anne and taking direct orders from Sakaki. Of course we take in account the need of distinguishing them from other members and their fashion tastes.

Down the road they'd become less and less important in the organization getting to the point of their boss not even remembering them (early\middle-DP)

Reminder that people constantly forget that these three characters existed, and they wore non-standard Rocket clothing, did not work in the shadows, were competent, and were a force to be reckoned with.

1lCwK93.png

BEKXBh8.png

According to the Manga/Anime at least, white TR members are actually the lowest ranked members and Jessie and James aren't the only people shown to be wearing them. Jessie and James are then promoted in BW, wearing the higher ranked black, get promoted again and then chose to go back to white by choice. They were allowed to assign themselves missions and I guess also got to choose what they wore too.

Mondo - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia this guy also wore White

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom