• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

I'd foam at the mouth love to see Kalos and Galar get this kind of game. Would be neat to see a more historical take on the two regions. If they were centered around past events we know of, they would probably be middle ages based which would be cool, but I'd take 17th century, too!

Honestly what I undestood from the presentation is that they want this to be a new era for pokemon. I mean, they didn't announce let's go as a new era for pokemon, despite it being the first new game to differ from the main serie while still being main serie. So, while I think there'll still be Let's Go and new gens games in the future, I'm totally convinced they want Legends to be a serie...and it was about time. Why ignore the fact that Pokemon can reach a more adult audience when you can make a more mature game and try to appeal to that audience that wants something different than the same game over and over.

I'm pretty sure Let's Go is dead. Every time they're asked about it they just say "there are no plans." It was more of them wanting a piece of the Go pie themselves and also ease new fans into the series gently. But now that Go is starting to even out, marketing to the Go crowd isn't a priority for them. Legends will probably take over for third games since the classic third games can just be DLC now.

I feel like during Gen 9 we will see a Pokemon Legends: Celebi happen to take over for there not being a Let's Go Johto.

I'm pretty sure Let's Go is dead. Every time they're asked about it they just say "there are no plans." It was more of them wanting a piece of the Go pie themselves and also ease new fans into the series gently. But now that Go is starting to even out, marketing to the Go crowd isn't a priority for them. Legends will probably take over for third games since the classic third games can just be DLC now.

I feel like during Gen 9 we will see a Pokemon Legends: Celebi happen to take over for there not being a Let's Go Johto.

I think we’ll see the same pattern of old games getting remade, closely followed by a Legends game in the same region. It only makes sense to nostalgia-bait people in with a more traditional remake that inevitably prints money no matter the quality, and then use that temporarily-regained fanbase to fuel the open world version of the same region.

I also think SwSh confirmed that there is no more third versions since DLC can take its place. I imagine we’ll see a release structure that looks something like this, moving forward:

2021: BDSP
2022: LA, DLC for either BDSP or LA
2023: Johto remakes, Legends Celebi/Ho-Oh
2024: Gen 9

I know that’s a long time until Gen 9 but honestly, they shouldn’t feel rushed to produce new generations anymore. I think they’re building a great system with both the anime and video games of being able to revisit old and familiar regions with new (or old?) spins on them, I mean Pokémon Journeys isn’t even a Galar series, it’s an everything-series, so depending on how long they want the anime to go, we could go awhile before another new region. I could even see them revisiting other regions with games like Legends Mew, Legends Kyurem - Original Dragon, Legends Rayquaza/Jirachi, a real Pokémon Z, a real Pokémon Delta Emerald, I think seeing remasters of remakes as third versions, similar to LGPE being remakes of Yellow rather than re-remakes of RB, could start that kind of trend as well.

Although it’s true that new generations sell the best and make the most money, I think LA is going to try to break that trend and could potentially become the best-selling Pokémon game of all-time. You haven’t even begun to see LA hype yet, wait until there’s more trailers and an actual release date announced, even non-Pokémon fans will hear about the “first open world Pokémon game”. This has the potential to reach Pokémon Go-levels of hype if marketed right, at least that’s what I believe.

I don't know. I still feel like Gen 9 will come out late 2023. Especially since the release schedule was kind of thrown off by the pandemic.

I also feel like we're going to get Unova remakes before we get another Johto remake that isn't a Legends title. Especially since HGSS had Crystal elements in it. FRLG never had any Yellow elements to it so LGPE made sense to make.

I just had another idea, what if the Legends Unova game actually featured the missing middle sibling of the two brothers? We see that even in the Unova games, certain historical details have been lost, the fact that the main history relating to the Original Dragon is clearly missing Kyurem from it even though Kyurem is the body of the dragon. So you play as the middle sibling, could be a brother or a sister who didn't pick a side and instead attempted to stop the other brothers from going to war. That could be why the dragon split into three instead of just two, the neutral side is how there is the husk.

It's worth noting that Legends Arceus is set 100-200 years in the past, so I wouldn't expect games about ancient wars just yet. Game Freak might prefer steampunk Poke Balls without delving too much into fantasy.

EmpoleonProd said:
2021: BDSP
2022: LA, DLC for either BDSP or LA
2023: Johto remakes, Legends Celebi/Ho-Oh
2024: Gen 9

I know that’s a long time until Gen 9 but honestly, they shouldn’t feel rushed to produce new generations anymore.
But that would be rushing since you added another Legends game (is it that to easier to develop than a new generation?) with little room to breathe. I also don't see the point of Johto remakes now that the catching focus has been relegated to Legends (we don't need BDSP-like versions of HGSS), aside from my personal wish to see 2D remakes like Johto Redrawn. They could just re-release RGBY, GSC and their remakes for a reasonable price around the 30th anniversary.

I don't think that remakes should be paired with Legends games. It's fine for this one time, but how is it smart to have people experience the same region twice just months apart, even with all the differences? There's still a ton of overlap when it comes to the Pokemon.

2022: Legends Arceus+DLC
2023: Generation IX
2024: DLC
2025: BW remakes
2026: Legends Celebi+DLC (for the Switch's successor)

The big thing they could do for Legends Celebi is resurrect some or most of the scrapped Pokemon from the first two generations. That would give them a chance to draw out the generation for 5 years, if they wanted.

For Generation X they could either use Hoenn or Unova for Legends depending on demand. I guess that the Original Dragon gives them more to work with than Jirachi or Deoxys, but it should just be a Kyurem form they could add in the remakes (which is what they would have done originally if they hadn't wanted two versions).

Last edited:
We have so many mentions of 3000 years ago that I almost feel that series set in the past make sense. Specifically 3000 years ago (this game might even be, it doesn't need to line up with real world timelines lile lockstin says)
Kalos war
Relic crown
Melmetal
Eternatus

All these events take place 3000 years ago and it feels oddly specific that all these ancient events happen in the same time frame

Last edited:
I hope that I will see the following games one day:

Legends: Ho-Oh

This could take us to the Johto region at the time of the burning of the Brass Tower 150 years ago, we could witness the creation of the three legendary beasts as well as explore more lore with Ho-Oh and Lugia, and maybe even Celebi, although Celebi was never particularly important to the lore of the region compared to Ho-Oh, which is why I feel like Celebi wouldn't be the title for the game.

Legends: Original Dragon

This game would take us back to the time of the original dragon being split up.

Legends: Rayquaza

This game could take us 1,000 or 2,000 years ago to times of past meteor strikes in Hoenn and exploring the Draconids back when there were more of them and seeing Rayquaza Mega Evolve.

I think these are easily the three best Legends titles we could get for other regions.

I don’t think they will have a Legends game titled after a Pokémon that already has a game cover. People would think it’s a remake of that old game instead of a new story.

Legends: Celebi could cover Ho-Oh and the legendary beasts creation story the same way that Arceus will assumedly also include Dialga/Palkia/Giratina in its story. Same with Rayquaza... it would much more likely be Jirachi or something.

If we don't get Legends games based of Pokemon who are already on box arts, then I would like to get a Legends Victini game. That Pokemon is too important for it to be just a "Mythical with no backstory", it's the "Victory Pokemon" after all. It's just too much of a big deal to have that as its species name and also having its legends talk about whoever it sides with achieves victory.

If we don't get Legends games based of Pokemon who are already on box arts, then I would like to get a Legends Victini game. That Pokemon is too important for it to be just a "Mythical with no backstory", it's the "Victory Pokemon" after all. It's just too much of a big deal to have that as its species name and also having its legends talk about whoever it sides with achieves victory.
"If we don't get Legends games based of Pokemon who are already on box arts..."
Zygarde being like:
png-transparent-t-shirt-pokemon-sun-and-moon-drawing-zygarde-art-t-shirt-grass-fauna-fictional...png

I hope that I will see the following games one day:

Legends: Ho-Oh

This could take us to the Johto region at the time of the burning of the Brass Tower 150 years ago, we could witness the creation of the three legendary beasts as well as explore more lore with Ho-Oh and Lugia, and maybe even Celebi, although Celebi was never particularly important to the lore of the region compared to Ho-Oh, which is why I feel like Celebi wouldn't be the title for the game.

Legends: Original Dragon

This game would take us back to the time of the original dragon being split up.

Legends: Rayquaza

This game could take us 1,000 or 2,000 years ago to times of past meteor strikes in Hoenn and exploring the Draconids back when there were more of them and seeing Rayquaza Mega Evolve.

I think these are easily the three best Legends titles we could get for other regions.

I agree with @geebraprint that they probably won't use Pokemon that were previously mascots. As far as the ideas themselves, you missed several good ones:

-Legends Zygarde: Takes place during the war 3000 years ago and deals with the creation of the Ultimate Weapon
-Legends Eternatus: Takes place during the original Darkest Day

There are two potential ideas for a Legends: Victini that I have come up with, a game about Unova having a war against another region, whether that's Galar or not can be decided by Game Freak, Victini would've been the reason for Unova winning at the end. The other idea would be Victini itself siding with the Swords of Justice who would push back the human combatants causing destruction to the forest because of their conflicts.

I agree with @geebraprint that they probably won't use Pokemon that were previously mascots. As far as the ideas themselves, you missed several good ones:

-Legends Zygarde: Takes place during the war 3000 years ago and deals with the creation of the Ultimate Weapon
-Legends Eternatus: Takes place during the original Darkest Day

That doesn't seem like it should be a concern so I don't know why anybody thinks that. The mascot is going to be whoever the lore-heavy legendaries/mythicals of the region are. The only one I could even see this argument for is Ho-Oh since that's taking some spotlight away from Lugia, but Rayquaza 100% makes sense for Hoenn, and the Original Dragon has technically not been a mascot, only white Kyurem and black Kyurem have. Completed Kyurem/whatever they'll end up calling it has never been a mascot because it doesn't exist in the games yet.

That doesn't seem like it should be a concern so I don't know why anybody thinks that. The mascot is going to be whoever the lore-heavy legendaries/mythicals of the region are. The only one I could even see this argument for is Ho-Oh since that's taking some spotlight away from Lugia, but Rayquaza 100% makes sense for Hoenn, and the Original Dragon has technically not been a mascot, only white Kyurem and black Kyurem have. Completed Kyurem/whatever they'll end up calling it has never been a mascot because it doesn't exist in the games yet.

It's confusing for marketing and could cause people to skip the games because they believe it's something entirely different from what it already is. They might think they're remakes of Gold, Emerald or BW2 instead of Legends games. And that kind of clear marketing is important, this kind of confusion is a large part of why the Wii U sold so poorly, so it could have a very major negative effect on the games' sales.

They could get away with the likes of Zygarde and Eternatus because they never had games. But Ho-oh, Rayquaza, and Kyurem? They're pretty much off the table.

The original dragon is not Kyurem, right? So that’s a nonissue there. It would be a new Pokémon and the title of the game would be that Pokémon’s name, with their image on the box art.

Pokémon Legends: Ho-Oh/Rayquaza would 100% be confusing marketing. Show someone a box art of a game with Ho-Oh on it and they will assume it is another Gold remake. Same with Emerald.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom