• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

The original dragon is not Kyurem, right? So that’s a nonissue there. It would be a new Pokémon and the title of the game would be that Pokémon’s name, with their image on the box art.
Kyurem is part of the original dragon, that detail was just left out of Unova's history for an unknown reason. Whether the dragon's name was Kyurem or something else remains to be seen.

I always assumed that the Original Dragon was Kyurem since Kyurem was the shell of the OD and it can absorb Reshiram/Zekrom's essence. But they've never explicitly confirmed it one way or the other.

At any rate yeah, Kyurem will definitely not be the mascot of a Legends game.

I honestly wouldn't exclude that pokemon like Kyurem or Necrozma will be the mascots of a legend game just because they were on another game box art. Let's Go Pikachu, which is a different serie, has pikachu on the box art, like Pokemon Yellow. So I don't think that a Pokemon Legends: Kyurem may be confused with pokemon black and white 2. Kyurem is not in the name of the game and on the box arts is fused with reshiram and zekrom.
Legends is a different serie from the other main line games, it tells different stories from those games, so I think we should not dismiss any possibility.

I honestly wouldn't exclude that pokemon like Kyurem or Necrozma will be the mascots of a legend game just because they were on another game box art. Let's Go Pikachu, which is a different serie, has pikachu on the box art, like Pokemon Yellow. So I don't think that a Pokemon Legends: Kyurem may be confused with pokemon black and white 2. Kyurem is not in the name of the game and on the box arts is fused with reshiram and zekrom.
Legends is a different serie from the other main line games, it tells different stories from those games, so I think we should not dismiss any possibility.

Thing is that LGPE was conceptualized as a remake of Yellow, that's why Pikachu is a mascot of LGPE. It's a different style of game, yes, but it is very much an updated Pokemon Yellow, so it makes sense that Pikachu would be on the cover. A Legends game, on the other hand, would not be a remake, it's something very different, so reusing an existing legendary would confuse people.

Thing is that LGPE was conceptualized as a remake of Yellow, that's why Pikachu is a mascot of LGPE. It's a different style of game, yes, but it is very much an updated Pokemon Yellow, so it makes sense that Pikachu would be on the cover. A Legends game, on the other hand, would not be a remake, it's something very different, so reusing an existing legendary would confuse people.
Why would it confuse people? I mean, if the trailer of Pokemon Legends Kyurem says that it set 300 years in the past like it happened with Arceus, how would people be confused? We know Kyurem was not born the day before b/w, so it would be just a prequel in Unova focused on Kyurem but with another story. And again, kyurem is not in the name and not in the box art of any game (in its regular form).

Why would it confuse people? I mean, if the trailer of Pokemon Legends Kyurem says that it set 300 years in the past like it happened with Arceus, how would people be confused? We know Kyurem was not born the day before b/w, so it would be just a prequel in Unova focused on Kyurem but with another story. And again, kyurem is not in the name and not in the box art of any game (in its regular form).

How do you know they'll even see the trailer? The casual players probably won't. And it doesn't matter if it's another form, if they can identify it as Kyurem, they'll probably think of it as a BW2 remake.

How do you know they'll even see the trailer? The casual players probably won't. And it doesn't matter if it's another form, if they can identify it as Kyurem, they'll probably think of it as a BW2 remake.
And how do you know that they will recognize Kyurem and remember BW2 if they are so casual that they don't even watch the trailer?

There's literally no reason past box legendaries can't be on the cover again, it's just a matter of whether it makes sense for the lore or not. Now they could spin a Hoenn Legends game into Legends: Jirachi and modify the Draconids lore to say that Jirachi was sleeping in Meteor Falls and woke up and assisted the Draconids in some way, but overall, a Hoenn Legends game makes the most sense with Rayquaza on the cover.

Likewise, Unova lore largely revolves around the Tao trio, as does Johto lore with Ho-Oh, Arceus being on the cover for the first game of the Legends series shouldn't set any sorts of precedents like "oh, the cover always has to be a mythical Pokemon". It just so happens that Arceus is central to the lore of Sinnoh.

Last edited:
Zygarde ain't a mythical and it seems Legends is Mythicals based.

So its most likely Legends: Diancie.

You cannot establish this based on one title. That's like after Red and Blue saying all paired games will feature the region's starters.

The mascots are based on whatever legendary the lore revolves around. That's why Rayquaza/Ho-Oh/Kyurem all make sense for their respective regions.

And how do you know that they will recognize Kyurem and remember BW2 if they are so casual that they don't even watch the trailer?

For real lol, just the title containing "Legends" in it will make people think of LA and assume it's a game taking place in the past of whichever region the legendary is from. It's a relatively safe assumption to make that the "Legends" series revolves around the lore and legends of whichever region it takes place, so logically the mascot should be the legendary that is central to that region's lore, Arceus makes sense in that aspect despite being a mythical Pokemon, but for example, Victini, or Jirachi, or Celebi, etc. don't make sense since they aren't central to their respective region's lore.

I always assumed that the Original Dragon was Kyurem since Kyurem was the shell of the OD and it can absorb Reshiram/Zekrom's essence. But they've never explicitly confirmed it one way or the other.

At any rate yeah, Kyurem will definitely not be the mascot of a Legends game.
Super Smash Bros. have actually implied the "husk of the dragon" idea with Kyurem's trophy description.

But as far as a Legends game goes, it's understandable to me if another Unova legendary or even a Mythical Pokemon would have a Legends game instead simply because there isn't a lot of lore said about that particular Pokemon.

I do think Legends: Celebi makes the most sense for Johto, both because it's the only legend/mythical in the region with no corresponding group members, and because then you can fit in a time travel mechanic, potentially skipping through the history of Johto and learning the mythology of it over a longer span of time.

And while I'd generally agree that mascots won't be reused outside of remakes (which LGPE very much is), I do think they might use new forms to get around the issue. Legends: Jirachi is a great idea to spotlight a Pokemon whose lore we don't know much about, and could fit in other aspects of the region's mythology. But I could see a Legends: Rayquaza if Rayquaza were to get a new form. Same for Legends: Kyurem (if in fact the original dragon is considered a Kyurem form instead of a new Pokemon, which seems likely).

That said, I do think the next Hoenn game is quite a while a way.

Super Smash Bros. have actually implied the "husk of the dragon" idea with Kyurem's trophy description.

I don't think we can declare lore from Smash to be canon, since it's a completely different IP made by a completely different developer completely unrelated to Pokemon other than using its characters for its crossover fighting game premise. Game Freak/TPC may not have written or approved the trophy descriptions and it might just be Smash's developers taking liberties, so we can't really trust tidbits like that to be true.

I don't think we can declare lore from Smash to be canon, since it's a completely different IP made by a completely different developer completely unrelated to Pokemon other than using its characters for its crossover fighting game premise. Game Freak/TPC may not have written or approved the trophy descriptions and it might just be Smash's developers taking liberties, so we can't really trust tidbits like that to be true.
I’m pretty sure it’s mentioned in BW2 too, fwiw.

I think most, if not all, Legendaries that were in game covers won’t have a hypothetical Legends game about them if this series continues. Though, I don’t think it’s because casual fans are complete idiots and will be confused by two box covers with the same Pokémon despite (I assume) being obviously different.

I think we won’t see most box Legends because they’ve already had focus to some degree in the (core) games. Arceus really hasn’t had any focus in the core games, being relegated to events that have drastically decreased in content over the years. Legends: Arceus seems like a way to put the spotlight on a Pokémon that really only becomes relevant when it’s event time. Not only that, but box Legends come in pairs. I think sole versions are going to be the norm for this series and don’t think it’s likely that GameFreak will expand on the lore and focus of only one member of a pair.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure it’s mentioned in BW2 too, fwiw.
It is, but again it's not specified whether Kyurem is the Original Dragon or a different Pokemon and Kyurem is just a third part of it.

We have another Pokémon is also a husk of another Pokémon, that being Shedinja for Nincada. However, we also consider it its own species rather than Nincada itself. Can the same logic not also apply to Kyurem being a different species from the Original Dragon?

We have another Pokémon is also a husk of another Pokémon, that being Shedinja for Nincada. However, we also consider it its own species rather than Nincada itself. Can the same logic not also apply to Kyurem being a different species from the Original Dragon?
Kyurem's species name in the English versions is literately the "Boundary Pokemon", and the species names for Reshiram and Zekrom in Japanese translate to the "White Yang Pokemon" and "Black Yin Pokemon" respectively, and besides, a Pokemon can have a different species name in a different form, Hoopa comes to mind as a prime example of that being possible. It's entirely possible that the OD can share the species name with Kyurem given a boundary doesn't really have the concept of "full and empty", just that it encompasses what is inside.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom