• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

This serie has to continue. Legends is the first Switch pokemon game to receive a pretty good score from people on Metacritic.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / 6.2
Pokemon Let's Go / 6.3
Pokemon Sword / 4.6
Pokemon Shield / 4.6
Isle of Armor / Crown Tundra / 6.1 (between the two DLC)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / 5.4
Pokemon Shining Pearl / 6.1
Pokemon Legends / 7.7 (for now)

I hope they understand this is the way they have to follow (with better graphics clearly).

If there is a potential for Pokémon Legends becoming a series...I think for the Galar region, it would describe the story of the first Darkest Day, where the player character (the boy resembling Victor, and the girl resembling Gloria) helping to fight Eternatus along with Zacian, Zamazenta and the twin kings of ancient Galar. Maybe this would explain why before the player catches Zacian or Zamazenta at the Tower Summit, it looks at the player so calmly and perhaps even obeys to their order to leave the rest to them. Sonia even remarks that the player seems like they've been recognized by real royalty (see Sonia/Quotes). As a result...I wonder if Victor/Gloria reminds these Legendary Pokémon of a person they knew in the past.

Well, that's just a theory, but I'd be open to discuss about it.

Or better yet, Victor/Gloria's ancestors ARE the twin kings of ancient Galar and you play as one and the other ends up an NPC that you work together with throughout the game.

Or better yet, Victor/Gloria's ancestors ARE the twin kings of ancient Galar and you play as one and the other ends up an NPC that you work together with throughout the game.
The heroes were just Zacian and Zamazenta. They're described as kings, oddly enough. No one helped them according to SwSh.

I don't think we'll get a game set 3000 years in the past, for any region.

The heroes were just Zacian and Zamazenta. They're described as kings, oddly enough. No one helped them according to SwSh.

I don't think we'll get a game set 3000 years in the past, for any region.

Oh right. I think it would be more interesting if that bit were retconned and while Zacian and Zamazenta were the true kings, Victor and Gloria's ancestors helped them stop the original Darkest Day. Then maybe that would explain how Galar's history would get confused and think the twin kings were human and Victor and Gloria's ancestors instead of Zacian and Zamazenta until Sonia and Victor/Gloria rediscover that.

I haven't played Legends yet, but I'd personally like to see a Genesect game set during the 80s (the Drives ARE magnetic tapes, after all) because I love both.

Other ideas I have for settings:

Kanto: I was going to say something involving there being a WWII-like war involving Kanto and several US-based regions (Unova, Alola, Orre, and several hypothetical regions) that would explain how Lt. Surge wound up in Kanto, but I ultimately decided against it since A. WWII, especially the Pacific Theater is... complicated, and B. I can't imagine a Pokémon game set in the Pokéverse's version of WWII being rated anything lower than T, and I can't see a Pokémon game being rated anything higher than E10, so maybe I'd have this game set in the Warring States period instead (I think it would also be interesting if the factions fighting each other were each tied to one of the legendary birds and even more interesting if those factions were the precursors of Teams Mystic, Instinct, and Valor).

Johto: The same as Kanto.

Hoenn: A Deoxys/Jirachi-centric game in a sort of retro space-age (50s-70s) setting.

Kalos: Medieval France, I guess.

Alola/Ultra Space: A sort of near-apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting that would center around the Ultra Beasts and/or Necrozma (I actually had an idea for a game mechanic where, instead of HMs/Ride Pokémon/whatever, the player would use different items to pass obstacles (for instance, they'd use a pickaxe/sledgehammer/jackhammer instead of Rock Smash, a jet ski/surfboard/swim fins instead of Surf, a flashlight/lantern/night-vision goggles instead of Flash, etc.). This eventually morphed into an idea where the protagonist was a cyborg and they could receive upgrades for their mechanical parts that would act like HM moves (Ex. a waterproofing module instead of Surf, a jetpack instead of Fly, more powerful arm and leg servos instead of Strength, etc.), and I think that this second idea would work well in this setting).

Galar: Either a sort of Arthurian medieval setting, a steampunkish Victorian setting, or a 60s-70s setting with a fair bit of British Invasion influence.

Orre: Maybe a western-type setting, basically RDR with Pokémon?

Hypothetical California-based region: Either during when the computer industry was really taking off or during the Gold Rush.

Hypothetical Mexico-based region: The height of the Aztec/Mayan civilization(s).

Hypothetical New England-based region: A sort of Lovecraftian cosmic-horror-type setting (my ideas for main-series games set in that region would already be pretty Lovecraftian).

Hypothetical Chicago-based region: The 20s.

Hypothetical Texas-based region: The same as Orre.

Hypothetical Italy-based region: Ancient Rome.

Hypothetical Greece-based region: Should be obvious.

Hypothetical Egypt-based region: Should be obvious.

Hypothetical Iraq-based region: Mesopotamia.

Last edited:
Well, Pokemon Legends will definitely become a series now because the game sold 6.5 million copies at the time of typing this. That's a really good number to sell in just 7 days.

Sorry, but no other Legends should happen before Zygarde and Kalos have their redemption.
At this point I’d honestly move on form the Kalos/Zygarde thing till Unova is remade at the very least. It’s pretty clear Zygarde isn’t anywhere near the top of their priority list.

Well, Pokemon Legends will definitely become a series now because the game sold 6.5 million copies at the time of typing this. That's a really good number to sell in just 7 days.
I'd avoid definite statements. If there's one thing Game Freak knows how to do, it's drop novel, innovative, and popular ideas like a hot potato.

I need my ancient Hoenn. Give me the big primal showdown oras lacked. Also interesting fact, what looks like Maxie and Archie ancestors appear as portraits in the diamond and pearl clans huts, (Alder too), so It would be cool to see them, and the draconid people.
Hoenn is probably the next best suited region for this sort of game, yeah, and maybe Johto.

Something I want to discuss since I see this shared way too often online: why do future legends titles have to take place in the past? Why can't other Legends games occur in alternate dimensions, the future, etc. with the unifying theme surrounding a legendary Pokemon's lore? I just don't get why these games (if continued) have to be continued with one particular setting in mind.

Something I want to discuss since I see this shared way too often online: why do future legends titles have to take place in the past? Why can't other Legends games occur in alternate dimensions, the future, etc. with the unifying theme surrounding a legendary Pokemon's lore? I just don't get why these games (if continued) have to be continued with one particular setting in mind.
Honestly, I'd prefer if they continue to take place in the past, and taking place in the past is more conducive to communicating the lore effectively. The Pokemon world is already very futuristic, so what would making a game set in "the future" accomplish?

To say nothing of the fact that we already have plenty of alternate universes and dimensions and timelines in the main series as it is.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they continue to take place in the past, and taking place in the past is more conducive to communicating the lore effectively. The Pokemon world is already very futuristic, so what would making a game set in "the future" accomplish?

To say nothing of the fact that we already have plenty of alternate universes and dimensions and timelines in the main series as it is.
Just to be clear, I don't think pursuing historical settings is bad. I think for some regions a historical setting would be fine, like Johto and Kalos, but I don't see why that should limit other regions as well. You mention the Pokemon world already existing in a futuristic plane; and that's true! But wouldn't it also be fun to see the future from the perspective of the Pokemon world? Settings change, people evolve, Pokemon change types lol, but also Legends change as well. Stories are passed from generation to generation, and change over time. I'm sure that's the case in the Pokemon world as well, so why not explore this concept? Idk I'm rambling but I would love to see how creative Game freak can get with their story-telling and and world-building.

Just to be clear, I don't think pursuing historical settings is bad. I think for some regions a historical setting would be fine, like Johto and Kalos, but I don't see why that should limit other regions as well. You mention the Pokemon world already existing in a futuristic plane; and that's true! But wouldn't it also be fun to see the future from the perspective of the Pokemon world? Settings change, people evolve, Pokemon change types lol, but also Legends change as well. Stories are passed from generation to generation, and change over time. I'm sure that's the case in the Pokemon world as well, so why not explore this concept? Idk I'm rambling but I would love to see how creative Game freak can get with their story-telling and and world-building.
From a storytelling perspective, Game Freak seems fairly content to have their legends reside in the domain of the ancient past, so I think it's safe to assume that that is where this subseries will say.

As an example, I think a medieval setting for Kalos or Galar - maybe a game depicting a war between them! - is far more interesting a setting than a nebulous "futuristic" Galar or Kalos. I just don't see a lot of appeal in visiting the future of an already futuristic setting.

Last edited:
From a storytelling perspective, Game Freak seems fairly content to have their legends reside in the domain of the ancient past, so I think it's safe to assume that that is where this subseries will say.

As an example, I think a medieval setting for Kalos or Galar - maybe a game depicting a war between them! - is far more interesting a setting than a nebulous "futuristic" Galar or Kalos.
Hmm...

We're talking about a potential mainline game that breaks free from the typical constraints of modern Pokemon story-telling, so I think it's unfair to base that point on what we've seen so far, since it seems like Game Freak is interested in shaking things up.

And since we are sharing opinions, I'll go on to say that a Galar/Kalos game focused on a war between nations that was discussed in previous titles would be kinda predictable and...boring? Not saying that there isn't merit to the story, but that just seems like the easy cop-out. I mean, why not explore the environmental crisis that Rose was worried about and how it affected all living things and society at large? We've seen how pollution and human corruption has affected Pokemon forms and habitats, why not go all out and make a story off of that event and how the "legends" in Galar or whatever have changed to new meaning.

Honestly Galar has some of the weakest legendary lore in recent generations so it's probably a bad example, lol.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom