• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: The Twins [a Tate and Liza One Shot]

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Really creative title, I know.

A oneshot/character study I wrote a few years ago for Tate and Liza. After some tweaking, I thought it was suitable for posting. It still probably has room for improvement, though.

Rated Everyone; CW// Implicit Person Disappearing

-

Rachel and Jin Hua had always wanted to be parents, so they were beyond excited when they found out they were expecting. What they weren’t expecting is that they would be the parents of two psychic twins.

They weren’t the most financially stable couple in Mossdeep City, but they were more than willing to take care of two children. It was a pleasant surprise for them, and plenty more surprises would come with the twins.

From the moment they were born, Tate and Liza were inseparable. They did everything together. When they were separated, such as when Liza caught a bad cough and had to go to the doctor, Tate would be sad, almost anxious, until they were reunited. They also looked and acted the same: they both loved toys, the starry night sky, and Psychic type Pokémon.

The twins were almost as close to Pokémon as they were to each other. Whether it was calming down two wild Poochyena who were scaring their classmates or helping an injured Swellow, they seemed to be able to understand their feelings in a way that nobody else could.

They were also quite mischievous. One day, when they both wanted one more cookie, they made a line of dancing, levitating cookies right to their mouths, much to the shock of their parents. Jin and Rachel thought it was a one off incident, but it was followed by countless incidents of floating toys, books, and more sweets.

-

“Maybe it has to do with your parents,” Jin whispered one night after the twins fell asleep.

“But I never saw them do anything that looked like… this,” Rachel replied.

“Well, your parents certainly have many surprises of their own. Perhaps the twins inherited that… if so, we’re in for quite a few more pleasant surprises.”

-

Rachel and Jin wanted to spend as much time as they could with their children, especially since they were starting to develop mysterious powers, but between full-time jobs and studying to work at the Mossdeep Space Center, neither of them could be full-time parents. Because of this, they hired babysitters to look after the kids. They often hired passing trainers who were staying for a while to challenge the Gym Leader and who needed some extra cash (trainers, of course, that the Gym Leader, Vega, sensed were good, responsible kids). Tate and Liza liked trainers. They liked the stories they told, the Pokémon they travelled with, the candy they brought.

One of these trainers was Steven, a frail, blue haired boy who was most likely in his late teens. He never really talked about where he came from or who he was, but he sure did talk about rocks. Whenever he talked about rocks, his eyes lit up, and his smile was too contagious for it to go unnoticed. He loved babysitting the twins.

Sometimes they would go to the Space Center to learn about astronomy and space travel. Other times, they would play on the beach. One day, Rachel and Jin had to go to Rustboro City to discuss business deals with the Devon Corporation. Steven was available to take care of the kids, but Tate and Liza sensed anxiety in him as the three walked through the city.

-

“What’s wrong, Mr. Steven?” Tate asked.

“Oh… it’s nothing. Nothing at all,” Steven insisted, quickly flashing a smile. “Say, do you guys want to go to Meteor Falls?”

“What’s Meteor Falls?” Liza asked.

Steven’s eyes lit up. “You’ve never seen Meteor Falls? You’ll be amazed by how fascinating it is!”

Being two young children, Tate and Liza didn’t understand how Steven could be so interested in Meteor Falls. It was very pretty, but it was also pretty boring. The three wandered aimlessly through the cave, picking up pretty rocks. Steven, they noted, picked up some ugly rocks.

“It’s getting dark, Mr Steven,” Tate said. “I’m scared.”

Realizing that they needed to get back and how stupid he was for wandering so deep into the cave, Steven stopped. “We should be getting back,” he whispered.

But none of them knew which way led to Rustboro City. They tried every way they could go down, but none of them led anywhere.

Liza started to feel a strange presence, as if something was calling for her.

“Mr. Steven?”

There was no one else there.

“Mr. Steven? Tate? Hello?”

Eventually, Liza found her way outside of the cave, but she couldn’t see Rustboro City. She ran down the route with the hope that she would find it. Instead, she tripped on a ledge and fell. As she sat up, she started to cry.

“I lost Tate! I lost Rustboro City! Now I’ll lose me!”

Liza felt something touch her back. She turned around and saw a floating, crescent shaped rock Pokémon. Liza could sense that it was calm and wise.

“Can you help me?” Liza whimpered.

The Pokémon made a movement similar to nodding, then it floated back towards the cave. Liza got up and followed it.

-

Meanwhile, Tate and Steven found themselves at a dead end.

“Mr. Steven,” Tate whispered, “I’m scared.”

“It’s going to be okay, Tate. I know we’ll get out of here.”

Tate stopped and stared down a tunnel.

“Tate?’ Steven said.

“There’s someone there. Someone who can help us!”

Tate broke into a sprint.

“Wait!” Steven yelled as he ran after him.

Eventually, Tate stopped in front of a sun shaped rock Pokémon. It looked as if it was waiting for Tate.

“Who are you?” Tate asked. “Why do you want to help me?” After a moment, he said, “Really? But why?”

“Tate?” Steven was perplexed. Who was the young boy talking to? Presumably, it was the Pokémon, but the Pokémon wasn’t talking.

The Pokémon floated towards another tunnel, and Tate followed it.

“Come on, Mr. Steven! We know how to get out of here!”

-

Steven and the twins promised not to tell Rachel and Jin about them almost getting lost, but they did tell them that Tate and Liza caught two Pokémon. The whole situation was mysterious, not just for Rachel and Jin. Rachel finally decided to ask her parents about the twins. They didn’t provide any answers; they simply chuckled to themselves and said, “that’s the joy of parenthood: seeing the surprises your children bring.”

The two started Pokémon battles a little while after that. They weren't old enough to officially become trainers, but there was no harm in a few practice battles (plus the Pokémon Association never busted them, and as Sidney likes to say, it's not illegal if you don't get caught). They mostly battled around their hometown. Alone, they were strong. Together, they were unstoppable.

The twins only grew closer with both each other and their Pokémon. Around the time that the two turned ten years old, the Gym Leader of Mossdeep City vanished without a trace. The Hoenn Champion, Steven Stone, was desperately searching for a replacement when he saw Tate and Liza battling two trainers.

He remembered the day at the cave. He remembered the way they connected to Solrock and Lunatone. And here they were, proving that their potential was more than a one time thing. So what if the Pokémon Association wouldn't allow two Gym Leaders to hold the same Gym? Steven would fist fight Kurogane to get the Mossdeep Gym its rightful Leaders.

Three months after the Mossdeep City Gym Leader’s disappearance, a new Gym Leader stepped up—or rather, two Gym Leaders stepped up. Tate and Liza were the first Gym Leaders in the history of the modern Pokémon League to occupy the same Gym at the same time.

Last edited:
All in all, neat take on how Tate & Liza met their signature pokemon. I always enjoy your takes, and this is no exception. A few stand-out moments:

One day, when they both wanted one more cookie, they made a line of dancing, levitating cookies, much to the shock of their parents.
Extremely cute.

Steven, they noted, picked up some ugly rocks.
Oh, love you, you rock nerd.

Also something that stood out to me is how the middle part reads a little like a script, partly because the descriptions are short compared to the rest of the story, and partly because of how the information is structured. I'm going to try to explain what I mean by the latter, but do note I'm no expert in scripts myself so I may be off base. Let's use this as example:
Steven’s eyes lit up.

“You’ve never seen Meteor Falls? You’ll be amazed by how beautiful and fascinating it is!”
If this was a script, this kind of... shall we say, separating the action and the dialogue would make sense, that's how information is structured in a script. But in prose, you may want to consider merging them together into one paragraph, since both lines still run on the same idea with the same character: Steven reacting to the twins not knowing about Meteor's Falls.

Although it's also not terribly unusual to see this guideline bent or broken, usually for drawing attention to something and/or how dramatic it can be. At that point I think it becomes kind of a matter of experimentation and taste.

• Staff
Also something that stood out to me is how the middle part reads a little like a script, partly because the descriptions are short compared to the rest of the story, and partly because of how the information is structured. I'm going to try to explain what I mean by the latter, but do note I'm no expert in scripts myself so I may be off base. Let's use this as example:
Someone else said that my descriptions are very short. I really worried about too much description, so then I don’t do a lot of it. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll fix that.
All in all, neat take on how Tate & Liza met their signature pokemon. I always enjoy your takes, and this is no exception.
Gee thanks : )

An excellent character study. I enjoyed all the little moments shared between the twins and the descriptions of their antics. It helps to seperate them from other depictions of twins in popular media.

I also like your use of shorter, punchy descriptions. They're to the point and I think they really help with the flow of a fic like this (I am also just incredibly partial to short descriptions)

• Staff
(Insert the “hello” from “Star Collector”)
An excellent character study. I enjoyed all the little moments shared between the twins and the descriptions of their antics. It helps to seperate them from other depictions of twins in popular media.
I have no IRL experience with twins other than celebrities and my sibling ranting about these twins in their class. And cartoons. I can’t name specifically what cartoons at the moment. I try to do unique stuff with my fics.
I also like your use of shorter, punchy descriptions. They're to the point and I think they really help with the flow of a fic like this (I am also just incredibly partial to short descriptions)
Glad to hear :) I’ve tried in recent fics to do more descriptions of stuff, but it’s still usually short (and usually not used on things like canon characters, as their physical appearances are assumed to be already known by the reader). I’m also partial to short descriptions. Probably why I enjoyed Hemingway more than The Scarlet Letter.

A nice little short story. I agree the descriptions were very brief but it seems to fit what the story was going for--it's hard to describe but it had a sort of "verbal storytelling" feel.

I will note one grammar error:
“Oh… it’s nothing. Nothing at all.” Steven quickly flashed a smile. “Say, do you guys want to go to Meteor Falls?”
You should use a command for dialogue that has further description after the quotation mark. So this would be:
“Oh… it’s nothing. Nothing at all,” Steven quickly flashed a smile.

I might also suggest changing it slightly to "Steven said, and quickly flashed a smile" but it's not really necessary.

• Staff
You should use a command for dialogue that has further description after the quotation mark.
From what I’ve read, if it’s an action and not a dialogue tag (he said, she whispered, they added, etc.), then it should be a period and not a comma, but I can easily change it to “he said, quickly flashing a smile.”

I’m glad you enjoyed the story :)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom