• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The ubiquitous D/P Gym speculation

Jukain

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
Please pardon me if there is another thread on this. Anyway, I almost feel ashamed to be the one that starts such a noobish sounding thread, but we have been given a pretty sound template to go on. Assuming, of course D/P does take place in a new region, one could conclude that they must use any of the 9 types remaining after you take out the 8 types used for Hoenn's gyms. I have listed them in order of what I think really deserve a new gym.

1. Dark-we've been after a gym for this type since G/S/C
2. Grass-no representation since R/B/Y
3. Ground-also no representation since R/B/Y
4. Poison-we got Janine as the new Fuschia Gym Leader in G/S/C, but there really needs to be a new Poison person
5. Bug-no representation since G/S/C
6. Steel-not as much people have used this type
7. Ghost-all gens so far have had at least one person that used this type, so I'm putting this on low priority
8. Ice-Again, all 3 gens.
9. Dragon-all 3 gens again, but I'm putting it dead last since they've always made this one the most powerful of them.

Now the game designers do have the possibility of punching a hole in my logic, but I do have precedence on my side, and the fact that a lot of these need some new life blood to them.

All I'm gonna say is that I hope there are more sexy boys than Hoenn had (though Brawly is worth like 70 sexy sexy guys or more!), and that I hope we get a teenage male Ice-type Gym Leader with ice blue hair D: I've always wanted one. >3 And Steven doesn't train ice so he doesn't count. *shifty looks*

As I was hoping to post last night until BMG crapped out...

It never ceases to amaze me how Game Freak continues to avoid a darn Dark gym. I mean, sure, we've had 2 Dark type Elite 4 members, but we've had *three* Dragon users(well, 2, Lance came twice) and that didn't prevent a Dragon gym leader.

That said, I think gyms should change it up a bit. I'd like to see, say, a gym for Pokemon with high defense, or Pokemon that learn Heal Bell, or what have you.

I will not deny the imaginations of fanficcers. It would be interesting to see gyms based on qualities separate from type. I've seen suggestions for a gym based on reptilian pokemon, or other specific classifications of pokemon that are not limited to one type, like an Eeveelution gym, or even a gym based on safari pokemon. Even I have imagined a gym-like thing based on only fossil pokemon, but I think I read a fic that had that, too. I've also had a gym-like concept for a specific stat. For me, it was HP. This idea was touched slightly in Petalburg Gym, but they only did it through items. I think we both mean pokemon that naturally have unusually high stats. However, as for specific forms of strategy having to do with pokemon, I think that will remain the domain of something like the Frontier Brains.

Oh, I almost forgot. I have also seen the proposal of dual-type gyms. This was almost done way back in R/B/Y, where in the Fuschia and Saffron Gyms, you are not only against trainers of the gym's type, but also fighting trainers of one type that's strong against that type. (Psychic and Ghost, respectively) I cannot entirely explain the trainers of Viridian Gym. I guess they wanted to mix it up for your final test. This isn't really what I'm talking about, though. We mean gyms dedicated to not one, but two types. This presents some interesting possibilities, as the gym trainers alone could have either one of the two types, or both in their teams. It also makes gym double battles a greater possibiltiy. (Yes, I liked the Tate & Liza concept)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom