• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

Am I the only one who does not use a Pokémon if its backsprite doesn't please me? I mean, no matter how much I love the mon, but if I can't stand staring at its backsprite it will not work for me.
That's the sole reason I still haven't trained an Empoleon in Platinum. So it's always either Infernape or Torterra. And that goes for some other mons too.

Yes. I can be that superficial.

You aren't the only one. I am extremely pick in regards of back sprites. For example, I never used Feraligatr because I hate all of its back sprites. I also hate when a back sprite barely shows the Pokémon, like most of Golem's back sprites:

Spr_b_2g_076.png
Spr_b_3r_076.png
Spr_b_4d_076.png

Reila: Oh, glad to hear that. I mean, I can certainly forgive a backsprite if it's from Gen1-2. In Gen 3 it will depend on how I fell about the mon. But in DPPT there are no excuses.

Seriously
Spr_b_4d_395.png
???

Have you seen Gatr's backsprite in HG/SS? It looks lovely to me. It's actually one my favorites. But I agree that in DP it looked deformed and I would certainly never use. Gatr actually has three backsprite in Gen 4; in Platinum it looks somehow decent.
Spr_b_4d_160.png
Spr_b_4p_160.png
Spr_b_4h_160.png

In terms of Johto starters THIS is really awful:
Spr_b_4d_157.png

That pidgey scared me. THOSE BEADY EYES.

I actually thought it looked cute.

But with all the nice things I could say about Yellow, I will admit several of the sprites are in rather odd poses, even if they're on model most of the time...

9.PNG

Blastoise kinda looks like it's dancing.

27.PNG

Sandshrew running on the ground.

42.PNG

Dancing Golbat!

52.PNG

Meowth looks like he's doing a Russian dance of some sort. "Hey!"

66.PNG

Machop looks like it's yawning!

80.PNG

Does this Slowbro have back problems?

96.PNG

Dancing Drowzee.

101.PNG

Electrode with a HUGE anime-esque mouth expression.

103.PNG

Dancing Exeggutor.

106.PNG

The flaw with Hitmonlee's pose is how you only see his profile.

110.PNG

Take a bow, Weezing!

120.PNG

Staryu appears to be lying down.

130.PNG

Gyarados curled up.

139.PNG

Disco Omastar!

149.PNG

Dragonite looks like it got some bad news...

150.PNG

Mewtwo trying to show off his muscles!

But anyways, Yellow's sprites seemed like a bridging point of sorts between generations; they were more on-model, but still typically had only one color, compared to the Gen II sprites. (Yellow did also set quite a bit of standards for future Pokemon games, like the types of moves Pokemon can learn by leveling up, the ability to use a Game Boy Printer, etc.)

No wonder the sprites are so much fun, since it's all 3D now.. So if we compare.. All the sprites are pretty ugly :bawl:, because none of them look like the pokémon at all.
It's just me or instead of ugly.. I find some of the sprites design kinda scary:
Golbat:
GR_042_front.png

His mouth, it almost looks as if it's smiling o.o
Haunter and Gengar:
GR_093_front.png
GR_094_front.png

I know they're ghost and are supposed to be scary, but in next generations they don't move a muscle in me xD,
Charizard:
GR_006_front.png

Just LOL.
Moltres:
GR_146_front.png

And last but not least, sad smiling dragonite u_u:
GR_149_front.png

Attachments

• GR_146_front.png
    GR_146_front.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 225
From playing Yellow, I gotta say that Pikachu, Ivysaur, and Charmeleon have HIDEOUS back sprites. Ivysaur doesn't even look like how it's supposed to. >.<

From playing Yellow, I gotta say that Pikachu, Ivysaur, and Charmeleon have HIDEOUS back sprites. Ivysaur doesn't even look like how it's supposed to. >.<

They do, but remember: the back sprites in Yellow are recycled from Red, Blue and Green. I guess they wanted to save money and only redid the front sprites.
This practice of reusing back sprites wasn't just in that case: HeartGold and SoulSilver recycled the back sprites from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (the animated versions from the latter, to be precise), while the front sprites were different from those three games.

Most of the Generation I back sprites in the beginning of the Pokedex I don't really like at all, especially the starter Pokemon. The Ghost-type Pokemon front sprites were pretty freaky and somewhat scary. Charizard's front sprite at one point makes me laugh looking at it.

Many of the gen 1 sprites are low-hanging fruit, so I'll go with something a little more modern.
Spr_5b_330.png
330.png

I think Flygon's gen 5 sprite is perhaps its ugliest rendition. While not the worst sprite in the world, it still looks very awkward to me. The pose just looks unnatural and the head seems weirdly small and misshapen compared to its other sprites.

Charizard, Wigglytuff, Moltres, Dragonite, Mewtwo and Mew from Red/Green look so bad it's almost scary. Also alot of Gen 5 sprites are ugly as hell especially the new sprites that they made for some of the Gen 3 Pokemon.

Aside from the ones listed above like Mew from RG and Golbat from RB I think Psyduck's sprite from RB is terrifying because it makes its head look too big and something about the head tilt creeps me out.

I’ll stand up for Mew’s original sprite.

The lost link ancestor of all life looking like a strange, lumpy fetus is just so much more interesting than a cute pink pixie cat thing.

I’ll stand up for Mew’s original sprite.

The lost link ancestor of all life looking like a strange, lumpy fetus is just so much more interesting than a cute pink pixie cat thing.

The same goes for Mewtwo and Gen 1's themes more broadly - more than any other region, Kanto is unabashed that it's inhabited by some pretty grisly creatures (Muk and Weezing spring to mind) and the endgame boss isn't some noble beast, but an emaciated Frankenstein's Monster with an umbilical cord for a tail and freaky psychic powers.

On the topic of sprites, I'd like to give an award to Heartgold for absolutely butchering dozens of species (Hitmonchan gets a special shout-out for awfulness). RB and GS are anarchic to the point of being endearing, FRLG set the gold standard and HGSS devalues the currency into the dirt. It's more of an issue for me than Johto's levelling problems.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom