• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

Well...doesn't Arbok's Pokedex information say that the markings on it's chest vary from area to area?

Shuppet seems to have taken on the appearance he get in the anime.

To be honest, I never noticed Mr. Mime's new finger until now. .-.

The ugliest sprites are found in the old games, but the coolest are also found there. I think these
gby006.gif
rbspr006.png
looks much better than
dpmfa006.png
Why has its wings got so small?
Also this gas Pokémon
rbspr092.png
is cool, while the newer ones looks like cannon balls.
I think this is one of the coolest sprites:
greenspr063.png

I think the old Pikachuu looks better than the new. The old one's body is more round and it looks more cute, and it's supposed to be a cute Pokémon isn't it? Its ears looks like rabbit's ears in the new art. My favorite Pikachuu sprites in the games is Blue version and Yellow Pikachuu version.

About the back sprites in the old games, Gyarados looks better there than in the new games. Look it has scales:
rbback130.png

Well...doesn't Arbok's Pokedex information say that the markings on it's chest vary from area to area?
That's the idea I've been under, since it has varied quite a bit from game to game.

93.png

Old Haunter is hardcore.

And Swampert's always had such ugly sprites. He's pretty ugly in general to me, though. He looks pretty cool in the 3D games, though.

"Yubitsume, or finger-cutting, is a form of penance or apology. Upon a first offense, the transgressor must cut off the tip of his left pinky finger and hand the severed portion to his boss....(When a British cartoon, Bob the Builder, was first considered for import to Japan, there were plans in place to add an extra digit to each of the title character's four-fingered hands to avoid scaring children.)"
No wonder human characters in Japanese anime are drawn with five fingers instead of four.

Anyway back on topic: Machop, Machoke and Machamp have definitely changed for the better.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_066.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_067.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_068.png

I mean, BLECK!! They don't even LOOK as muscular as they do now.

Speaking of Poliwag's family
There's always some sort of problem with the "Poli's". Mainly in this and the Pokerap. Don't put Poliwag's picture for Polywhirl, please. *shot for seeming so rude* I seem to remember there being a mistake in PKMN Snap as well....

Anyway, to get back on topic.... I've been playing RBY for the past few weeks, and now that I'm taking a break to play FireRed, I'm quite appreciative of the views of Pokemon from behind starting in GSC and RSE. They looked so terrible in RBY. ....I love the FR/LG sprite for Gary, in both forms. You can actually tell who he is now.

*cough* I've noticed that the Shuppet and Banette sprites from RSE are really getting on my nerves. And I somewhat like the Zubat sprite from Yellow.... compared to Red and Blue, that is.

Least favourite Red and Blue sprites have to be.... Porygon (scares the crap out of me), Mew, Vileplume, Golem, Machamp, Pinsir, Geodude, Pidgey, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Jigglypuff, and Wigglytuff. Scary.

Last edited:
So you're saying humans should have three fingers and a thumb rather than four fingers and a thumb? Good to know. =P

NO!:eek: That's not what I meant. It's just that English cartoon characters are usually with only four fingers in order to save drawing time. And since the whole "Yubitsume" thing was brought up, I started thinking that was the reason why Japanese animators decided not to take our little short-cut.

The sprites in Yellow are actually pretty good, compared to the Red and Blue sprites. But they're not as good as the later sprites. In this game, they finally corrected Gastly's appearance, made Jigglypuff as cute as it's supposed to be, designed Oddish and Gloom and Vileplume correctly, made Pikachu not so fat, had Bellsprout's mouth widened a bit to look more correct, and more. Plus, several of the Pokemon in Yellow are drawn in dramatic fighting poses, such as Blastoise, Hitmonlee and Mewtwo, but this makes them a bit cooler combined with the "correct" designs.

I think green take the cake on crappy sprite, and I don't know about you but I don't like some of the D/P sprites

I think this ones funny cause the skull looks to big for his body
greenspr104.png
>
pkrs272.gif

Last edited:
Wynaut's and Wobbs' DP ones seem to be worse quality than the GBA ones for some reason.

Certainly wynaut's.

Anybody find the DP Sharpedo as bad as I do?
It looks like it gained like 50 pounds T-T. If it waas slimmer that be a kick ass sprite, but alas.

As far as R,B,Y is concerned I always thought that the three legendary bird's sprite's were pretty ugly along with the Pigeot sprite which looks like its had its wings glued to its side.
Blastoise and Venusaur look bad as well. In fact I could be here for ever so I'm gonna stop now.

PIDGEOTS POSE IS PWNSOME!! Look at this Revamp I made

PidgeotRevamp.png

See, better than the DP Sprite IMO

But the worst are

dpmfa214.png

I mean, it looks bad enough to begin with without having it thrusting

dpmfa028.png

SANDSLASH What did they do to you? The colour is just awful

greenspr068.png

Hideous. Purely Hideous.

And as a finishing note

greenspr040.png

I don't like how Spinarak was purple in GS. It...bothered me so much.

xD
Funny you mention that, the first time I saw one I thought it was a shiny -.-"

Did anyone mention G/S Raikou? If not, shame on you. I mean look at him.
Raikou....Good Raikou, you look kinda cool. D:
gbg2434ks.gif

Given how people are posting sprites they like as well, here, no wobbuffet will ever look as awesome. This is how I like the gloomy patience pokemon:
202.png
202.png

OMG!!! What did they do to Charmander in Red/Blue!!!!! Boohooo it makes me so sad to think of it's torture...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom