• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

Unlike many members above, I am not against they varying the positions. I think this is pretty cool instead of having the Pokemon always designed on the same position.

The uggliest Pokemon sprites for me are the ones that are not in their original colors. I don't know whether this is something that has to do with the colour palette or not.

134.png

Vaporeon is light blue, not green.

147.png

Dratini is also light blue, not purple.

373.png

Salamence is emerald-green, not purple.

Last edited:
Gengar, Exeggcute, Squirtle, Golbat, and Nidoking were all hideous in Gen I. Hitmonchan's Green sprite is in the uncanny valley - it looks like Togekiss watching a pooping Doduo.

Rhydon in Yellow was ugly. Glad Rhyperior did not exist then, otherwise...eww...

Ralts and Kirlia have retarded sprites in Emerald.

Charizard's Ruby/Sapphire sprite looks scary, since it appears to have two sets of nostrils.

I'm trying to think of sprites that I actually hate... Not counting Japanese Red/Green sprites, they were all bad imo.

Well, I got this in LeafGreen:

Spr_3f_145.png

Traded it to Emerald, and got this:

Spr_3e_145.gif

The R/S/E Zapdos sprite is horrid... -_-

Gen III Lugia:

Spr_3e_249.gif

Gen IV Lugia:

D/P/Pl:

Spr_4d_249.png

Hg/Ss:

Spr_4h_249.png

Gen III sprite was *bleah*... Lugia's little fin things and eyes aren't supposed to be black... Plus a really bad pose, Gen IV sprites were much better.

I'm sure someone has already posted this abomination, but this is by far the most horrible 'sprite' I have ever seen.

greenspr134.png

Look at the way its tail is cut around the ear fin. It's all so blocky, and its legs are uneven. Just the whole thing is horrible.

@Hidden Power, only shiny Salamence is emerald green, normal salamence is blue. Admittedly though, it's never purple.

Spr_1b_145.png

This look atrocious... Its claws are like wires...

Ani493MS.png

I always never saw the Arceus in this one; it always looked more of a dog with a wagging tail or something....

Spr_2c_250.gif
Spr_b_2g_250.png

Italian turkey all the way!

It's pretty obvious I'm going to do some sort of ranting about this one:
Spr_3e_249.gif

BLACK MASK THINGIES!? Whoever made this should go watch M02 10,000 times over and tell me Lugia's mask thingies are black...

G/S/C:

Spr_b_2g_249.png

R/S/E:

Spr_b_3r_249.png

D/P/Pt:

Spr_b_4d_249.png

B/W/B2/W2:

Spr_b_5b_249.png

How is it that in R/S/E, Lugia is colored with black instead of the signature navy blue? The shiny sprite color for Lugia is universal, so why not its normal color?

Spr_4h_249.png

A shame it has such a weird pose in HG/SS. And it has the "Lugia pissed off look". What's it mad about? It can't be its baby this time...

The D/P/Pt sprites for Lugia look the best. The B/W/B2/W2 has the same general pose as D/P/Pt, but it has the "Lugia pissed off look":

D/P/Pt:

Spr_4d_249.png

vs.

B/W/B2/W2:

Spr_5b_249.png
249.gif

I like both poses, but I like the D/P/Pt one better without the "Lugia pissed off look"

Hitmonchan's Green sprite is in the uncanny valley - it looks like Togekiss watching a pooping Doduo.

True. It's easy to see it. But the problem is unseeing it.

machokbad.png
Machoke has missing teeth. Lots of them. Because of this, it looks like a hillbilly.

Attachments

• 006bad.png
    006bad.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 388
  • exeggubad.png
    exeggubad.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 288
  • poliwrabad.png
    poliwrabad.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 332
  • wigglybad.png
    wigglybad.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Machoke has missing teeth. Lots of them. Because of this, it looks like a hillbilly.

Machoke must be one of Anna Nicole Smith's maternal relatives. (My mom saw them on TV. Several of them are missing teeth. They're authentic Texas trash! But that's a whole other story...)

Have you seen Squirtle's oldest sprites? They have such small eyes. The Squirtle we know and love has large eyes.

Last edited:
A lot of the sprites in Gen 1 have ugly sprites.

For example, to me Venusaur's back sprite in Red/Green/Yellow looks like a patch of cabbage.

Spr_b_g1_003.png

And what about Arbok's back sprite in the original games? It had two stripes on the back. We never see these stripes again. They've been lost to time.

Actually, if you look at the oldest volumes of the manga, many of the Pokemon do not look like they do today. It's so creepy.

I feel bad for mew, She look HORRID in red and green MAJOR improving in the red and blue Ill say, This one, people made a joke saying it looks like togekiss watching doduo using the bathroom YUCK,
images

Unlike many members above, I am not against they varying the positions. I think this is pretty cool instead of having the Pokemon always designed on the same position.

The uggliest Pokemon sprites for me are the ones that are not in their original colors. I don't know whether this is something that has to do with the colour palette or not.

View attachment 86713

Vaporeon is light blue, not green.

View attachment 86712

Dratini is also light blue, not purple.

View attachment 86716

Salamence is emerald-green, not purple.

Your talking of shinies, salamence's SHINY is emerald green and dratini in that picture is a shiny XD Your right on the vaporeon though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not technically a sprite, but Eevee's design in Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. It has the ugliest tuft of hair in the front

YIfAYha.png

bad image, sorry.

As much as I love Noctowl . . . I hate his Platinum / G5 sprites (and from what I see, his G3 sprites fared no better). They just look . . . stoned.

This thing.
Spr_2g_006_s.png
I was so happy that I got a shiny charmander in crystal, but then when I evolved it it turned into Barney. The freakin purple dinosaur.
In other generations it's dark purple, but in Gen II... it's has a disgusting grape lolly kind of skin tone.

Red and blue sprites
Bulbasaur is jumping
Ivysaur stands
Scary venusaur
Charmander is fine
Scratching charmeleon
Vicious charizard
Hello squirtle
Warturtle wars
Angry fatty blastoise
Caterpie is fine
Back of metapod?
Butterfree showing legs eeewwww
Weedle look at the camera
Arms and kakuna
Awesome bee-drill
Cute pidgey chicken
A look away pidgeotto
Caw pidgeot
Rattata is bad
Biting raticate
Ruffian spearow
Targeting fearow
We ekans
Ugh arbok
Fatty pikachu
Land raichu
Lonely sand shrew
Slashing sand slash
Nidoran female rabbit
Nidorina and Nidoqueen is fat
Male Nidoran family is ugly
Jumping clefairy
Ballet and clefable
Vulpix and nine tales is stupid
Jigglypuff is so ugly
Wiggly tuff is confused
Zubat aaaah
Lickitung style golbat
Oh oddish
Sick spotty gloom
Vileplume is odd
Hurdle paras
parasect is topped
A walking venonat
:[] venomoth
Diglett noses
Dug by dugtrio
Purr meowth
Angry as Persian
Psyduck is wigglytuff style
Scratch golduck
Mankey pulls ears
Moomoo ahh ahh primeape
Ugly growlithe
Ninth arcanine
Poliwag on floor
Brutal poliwhirl
Poliwrath is having taichi
Is there an abra creepy pasta
Spoon vs kadabra
Ala ka wat the heck zam
Short but powerful machop
Another brutal poliwhirl now it's a machoke
Indian machamp
Tiptoe bell sprout
Is weepinbell vaccuuming
Victreebell sucks
What tentacool says
I'm angry tentacruel snarls
Top on geodude and graveler
A happy golem
Doll ponyta
Rapid dash!
Be4 slaking slowpoke is lazy
Eating shells slow bro
Cute magnetmite
Hey magneton
Farfetched ate my celery
Doduo times run equals to 2 legs
Ugly dodrio
Seel is big dew gong is small
Cheer for grimer
Go muk come here
Stick shellder tongue out
Inverted cloister
Ghastly missing
Eeeeeeeeevil haunter
Furry gengar
Onix circle
A mr mime minded drowzee
Hypno sleepy
Krab by hands
Kingler right arm gets a zoom
Ball volt orb
Delighted electrode
Exeggcute mom
Exeggutor spies
Angry and lonely cubone and marowak
Hitmons whoa hit
Llickitung lick
Inverted Koffing and weezing sick
Rhydon and horn is a hooligan
Back Chansey
Walking tangelas
Kingashkan
Oh looking horsea
Seadra anger
Golden says vulgar words
Sea eye king
Nothing with stars
Mr mime me
Slicer scyther
Winkjynx
Electabuzz free from acdc
Magyar and pin sir are ugly
Tauros needs a miltank help him they don't have miltank in rby
Hi magic carp
Gyarados in 3d
Oh lap ras
Hi ditto
Sexy eevee
Fart vapor eon
Jolteon and flare on?
Watch porygon
Angry omanyte
Omastar loves bee gees
Top shows kabuto and slicing kabuto ps
Aero dactyl is one
Lazy snorlax
Articuno zapdos decent
Caw moltres
Cute like dratini
The two dragons
Pick up mew two
Mew is very cute

107.png

This Hitmonchan sprite is pretty bad. One fist is much bigger than the other. And, yeah, it's weird.

102.png

One of them is way too big, it's huge!

107.png

This Hitmonchan sprite is pretty bad. One fist is much bigger than the other. And, yeah, it's weird.

I think that sprite was an attempt at "perspective", with the bigger fist is closer to the viewer than the rest of the body.

(it's still a bad sprite)

Am I the only one who does not use a Pokémon if its backsprite doesn't please me? I mean, no matter how much I love the mon, but if I can't stand staring at its backsprite it will not work for me.
That's the sole reason I still haven't trained an Empoleon in Platinum. So it's always either Infernape or Torterra. And that goes for some other mons too.

Yes. I can be that superficial.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom