• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

dandeco

Reaction score
Looking back to the days of the old 8-bit Pokemon world, I think when it comes to their graphics/sprites in the Pokemon Game Boy games, the Pokemon in Red and Blue look their ugliest! Some look OK, like Hitmonlee and Lapras and Mewtwo...
rbspr106.png

...but many others look horribly ugly, like Charmander and Raticate and the Nidoran family and Vulpix and Bellsprout.
rbspr020.png

A couple of them I think are actually cute, like Pidgey...
rbspr016.png

But some of them are designed completely wrong. For instance, Kakuna has ARMS!
rbspr014.png

And Gastly is just a big cloud of gas with eyes and a mouth!
rbspr092.png

Moltres is also simply a disgrace.
rbspr146.png

I am really grateful that in the later games, starting with Pokemon Yellow, they were redesigned perfectly to resemble how they appear in the anime, TGC, merchandise, etc. Now they look even better with the DS games.

Wanna see more of these ugly verisons of our favorite Pokemon from the Kanto region? Follow this link.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/picsredblue.html

Yes, that Mew takes the cake. There isn't a single sprite--even Green Eevee here:
greenspr133.png
--that's uglier than that Mew.

Which is sad, because I think that Mew's the cutest Pokémon. :(

Now I remember why I didn't like Red and Blue that much. Yellow was the first game I got, and the sprites from that look SOOOO much better.

Here's some of my favorite weird ones from R/B.

rbspr009.png

rbspr045.png

rbspr077.png
- Reminds me of the Bratz doll horses.

rbspr109.png
- Is it supposed to be upside down?

rbspr134.png

The R/B Mew is cute, though.

rbspr151.png

I sort of liked the old ones. They didn't feel forced cute, and had an interesting style. Which wasn't anime thankfully.

Mew is an effing freak of nature. That is why I like the embryo ugly mew.

Another Fan, why do you insist on repeated how much you dislike the anime? You have the right to state your opinion, but you state it even when it's irrelevant to the discussion and it gets really annoying. =/

Red/Blue Koffing is bizarre. I mean... he's not even smiling!

Everyone's much scarier in the Japanese version of Red and Green

Scarier, maybe, but a lot of them look much better than their Blue redesigns. Look at Mewtwo, Koffing, Blastoise and Gastly, for instance - look great in the originals, and really really bad in the versions we got.

Yeah. In America's Red and Blue, Koffing almost looks UPSIDE-DOWN!

The American Red and Blue sprites originated on the Japanese Blue version. The game itself was quite different from the American Blue version. They had different Pokemon that could be found, different prizes in the Game corner, etc. The American Blue version is basically taken from the Japanese Green version using the Pokemon Sprites from the Blue version.

Also, I don't get it why in most of the older Game Boy games, they tend to get Metapod's design wrong! It doesn't have that nose thingy and its eyes are on his back, like in the anime and on most of the Ken Sugimori illustrations!

rbspr011.png

This also unfortunately occured in Gold and Silver and Crystal and the Game Boy Advance games...

gbg011.gif

However, on Pokemon Yellow, they designed Metapod the right way, except for the back stripe, which was recycled from Red and Blue, like all the other Pokemon's back sprites. They also used this "correct" design on the upcoming Diamond and Pearl games!

gby011.gif

dpffa011.png

Wanna see more of these great Diamond and Pearl sprites? Follow this link!
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/dpmfa.html
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/dpffa.html
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/dpmba.html
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/dpfba.html

Last edited:
Another Fan, why do you insist on repeated how much you dislike the anime? You have the right to state your opinion, but you state it even when it's irrelevant to the discussion and it gets really annoying. =/

Red/Blue Koffing is bizarre. I mean... he's not even smiling!

Good point.

Sorry, I'll try to stop that.

Just happens that that steers a lot of my opinions on things here. Like in this thread people are complaining that they don't look like they should. And truly for me, I would think, the designs were not exactly set in stone at the time, it happened that the newer media began using designs which also by the way could have been not the ones originally planned, and the games picked them up. Which is why my opinion on this is steered by the anime, as it is mostly the anime that causes people to think of the designs very select. So, it is sort of relevant, in my opinion.

Like the skull on the forehead of a koffing, or arbok's back stripes, or which way the eyes face on a metapod.

I am fairly sure that the eye thing by the way is just the angle of the shot and the direction the eyes are looking, because metapod's eyes or on its sides, I am fairly sure it can look either way. Edit: Actually, after looking at it, you can see that it is the same except the way the tail is facing. Which isn't a big deal as a caterpie most likely can place its tail however it wants when it evolves.

I actually still believe that the designs are perfectly set in stone and sort of prefer it when they are open to interpretation. Rather irksome that I can not imagine pokemon in a different setting than anime without having to change so much now.

Like lunatone, in RSE, it has huge round circular eyes with a small indention and shadow. In the art, it has perfectly ovoid eyes indented deep into the head with dark black rock surrounding it. I often find it odd how people can still think of pokemon with such perfectly specific design. I mean, not even smiling? Now all koffings have to SMILE? What would make you think that?

Last edited:
The Sugimori art was different from the sprites as well, so don't you dare blame this on the anime. Anyway, my first game was Yellow, so thankfully I was spared most of this.

True. But sugimori art shows only one pokemon usually. So, therefore, it doesn't say that all have to look exactly like it.

Eh, I kind of like the old sprites over the newer ones... most of the time. Even so, admittedly, they ARE ugly and all. XD

venusaur.png

But, dear God... Somebody get a chainsaw, the poor thing is being squished to death!

But picking on Red/Green sprites is easy. So I'll poke fun at some of the newer ones.

raticate.png

Maybe it's just me, but its neck looks broke or something. And the one front leg looks odd the way it is.

slowpoke.png

I don't know what's wrong with this, but it just doesn't look like Slowpoke. Might be the head shape or the excessively humped back. And I don't think 'pokes tail is quite THAT fat.

jynx.png

Granted, this one is not really anymore ugly than any other Jynx. Just very funny; it looks like it's screaming and running away from something. XD

I first saw the ugly Pokemon sprites when I saw my friend playing Pokemon Red. I always wondered why they looked different then. But MY first Pokemon Game Boy game was Pokemon Yellow, so I was lucky too. Yellow was the game that started the whole trend of designing the Pokemon correctly in the games, except for the back sprites, which were recycled from Red and Blue, but that wasn't much of a problem.

Not only that, but they redesigned some of the trainer sprites, too. In Yellow, your character in the game looks more like Ash Ketchum, and your rival looks more like Gary Oak.

The Sugimori art was different from the sprites as well, so don't you dare blame this on the anime. Anyway, my first game was Yellow, so thankfully I was spared most of this.

Plus I'm sure the Sugimori art was made before the sprites.

I first saw the ugly Pokemon sprites when I saw my friend playing Pokemon Red. I always wondered why they looked different then. But MY first Pokemon Game Boy game was Pokemon Yellow, so I was lucky too. Yellow was the game that started the whole trend of designing the Pokemon correctly in the games, except for the back sprites, which were recycled from Red and Blue, but that wasn't much of a problem.

Not only that, but they redesigned some of the trainer sprites, too. In Yellow, your character in the game looks more like Ash Ketchum, and your rival looks more like Gary Oak.

This is why I mainly blame the anime. People expect it to be like it, when it doesn't have to be.

And I stated my explanation towards the sugimori art already.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom