• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia The War Room Awards '18 Mafia: Endgame

Thinking about it slightly more, the fact that Pikochu hadn't been subbed out, but hadn't posted in the thread since D2 also pretty much confirmed him as scum, since Darth would have had to have subbed in a town member that was deliberately not posting in the game thread at that point.
When you were in my DMs yelling at me to yell at darth to sub Piko out I was just like
"well, he's active in mafia chat. Can't sub him out, you should be able to figure that out x-x"

"well, he's active in mafia chat. Can't sub him out, you should be able to figure that out x-x"
Generally, the rule that you must be active applies only to inthread... and so Pika should have gotten a warning for being inactive in thread. Otherwise, the entire game could have been conducted in OC.

AE, no.
Don't hate the role. Hate the goofball that couldn't balance the role.
I don't think you can balance the role. I mean, i read what you said earlier and I just don't agree. It's an insanely overpowered role, no matter how the town is made up.

AE is correct about the activity role and it pertaining solely to the game thread. Otherwise, a player's scumminess can be inferred . I just wasn't wearing my contact lenses, so I was blind.
fun fact: I actually noticed that, a lot of the time, Piko was last seen "Engaged in conversation" and it still never clicked. I mean, I was more willing to lynch him than MegaPod, so that probably counts for something.
Further fun fact, my brain is in such a bad state right now that I didn't even notice that a new coworker joined us in the office yesterday. Only 17 people, including the new girl, work in my building.

AE is incorrect about the Insanifier, however. It is not easy to balance, and I wouldn't recommend that newer hosts even bother to try it, but it can be done. You need to have something in the game that is a hard punishment for scum using that ability with abandon or give town powers that, when reversed, can benefit them more.

Also, I'd like to say that both teams had ups and downs across the board. Like @Ereshkigal I'm 100% nominating you for best single mafia performance (if that's even a category) for next year just for this game, but you played far from a perfect game.

I scumslipped so many damn times! Or dear goddess, did I scum slip >.<

I think the memorable one was the one that forced me to release that I knew the codes. Nothing like having to get away from everyone noticing you are scum by giving them all reason to panic!

Mafia had won as soon as Elie spreaded a code to everyone (especially since the encoder had a link with it that explained how to crack the code!!) but it was still a close game,

@Elieson The code site you sent me had this at the top of it:

"To create a substitution alphabet from a keyword, you first write down the alphabet. Below this you write down the keyword (omitting duplicate letters) followed by the remaining unused letters of the alphabet.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
KEYWORDABCFGHIJLMNPQSTUVXZ
To encipher a plaintext message, you convert all letters from the top row to their correspondng letter on the bottom row (A to K, B to E, etc).

These types of simple substitution ciphers can be easily cracked by using frequency analysis and some educated guessing."

Admittedly, if I had looked there first, I wouldn't have had to spend so much time deciphering the codes the hard way, as I wasn't paying attention to how easily I could gain the code words just by rearranging the letters >.<

Once I finally sat down and read it, my job became much easier :p

Lesson learned for me: Read everything on a website for a mafia game. Some of that unimportant text may actually be important.

All in all, while not the most balanced game, this was definitely the game I've enjoyed watching as an IO the most. Thanks a lot both @Elieson for coming up with the flawed code plan that could've been amazing, and @Ereshkigal for making me laugh so hard when you cracked the code.
It was a fun one.

It was amazing working my way through the codes in Mafia chat and pretending I could barely use my own code in the main game!

Ereshkigal: You cracked the codes? I'm impressed. I was actually going to ask ME about this early in the game, if it was possible to reverse engineer the codes... but I admit that I suspected ME at that point, and Elieson was dead so I couldn't ask him.

Yeah, this game was not balanced at all. The mafia having a code breaker onboard just made things too much in the mafia's favor.

What was Lucario? I was hoping for Hydreigon to be vig.

Yeah, this game was not balanced at all. The mafia having a code breaker onboard just made things too much in the mafia's favor.
Strictly speaking, not Darth's fault.
Similar to how PvD Mafia became unbalanced because of who RNG'd which role, which exacerbated the couple of underlying balance issues with the game.
Also, I will admit I was working hard to make certain you wouldn't believe that information, and thus would draw false conclusions. To be honest, I spent half the game trying to come up with ways to counter you without revealing our hand too early. Think about what it says that I could only accomplish it when you were not at your best, and I still unwittingly gave you enough information to identify a minimum of two thirds of our team.

Seriously, Klav, AE, and the rest were not our biggest worry; you were. I actually wanted to shoot you N1 to prevent you from being as big of a threat as you were.
I'm curious as to why you didn't kill me N1 if you assumed I was going to be a big threat.
I mean, I understand exactly why you didn't kill me afterward. It was too easy to keep me around and watch me trip over my own two feet and hope that I'd be scum read for it (still surprised I didn't get myself lynched this game...wow).

Day 4 - The Interview

The clock was ticking, left and right people who won an award died by the hands of the evil gang, be it directly or indirectly.
"You would expect us to be able to figure this out right," said SoaringDylan, "there are only a handful of people left and WE somehow can't solve this."
"Of course WE can't," said the maniacal boss sarcastically, "allow ME to take the lead. I've just contacted two of our possible suspects for an interview."
"An interview?" asked DarthWolf. "You truly think they would fall for a simple interview like that. Who are they anyway?"
ME smirked and said: "Not if they are already staff members being offered more power by an admin. After all it's CheffOfGames and MegaPod we're talking about. Those guys couldn't resist the lure of power. Trust ME."
ME walked away to his office. "Now if you don't mind, I have an interview to attend to."

When ME arrived at his office the duo of Cheff and Pod were already eagerly waiting.
"Gentlemen," greeted the engineer, "good to see you're here already. Follow me inside please and take a seat."
The group sat down at ME's desk with the owner on his side and the guests next to each other facing the boss.
ME looked at each attendant for a moment very carefully and then asked: "So why do you think you would be fit as the vice president of this place? Giving you access to everything I have, except my personal privileges."
The two guests looked in awe both at ME and at each other.
"You aren't serious right?" asked MegaPod.
"Why would you pick us of all people?" wondered Cheff.

ME stood up and turned around looking outside his window.
"It's simple realy, this whole mystery is really. I should have known it were the two of you."
Cheff and MP looked at each other not knowing what was going on and shrugged.
ME continued: "And then to actually set this trap was so simple. How to lure in people who seek more recognition and power, by offering them more of course."

MegaPod left his chair and slowly walked to the door. "Yeah I'll be going, I don't like the sound of this anymore."
He tried to open the door but failed.
"Hah," ME laughed, "the door is locked. Do you really think I didn't plan this. Your behaviour clearly shows that you're guilty."
ME snapped his fingers and two auto-turrets appeared from the ceiling. "It's over!"

The turrets fired a barrage of lasers at MegaPod, utterly murdering him in front of Cheff's eyes.

Jinjo has been killed.

Cheff got shocked and shouted: "Murderer!"
He lunged at ME. However, ME turned around and grabbed Cheff at his face, stopping him in full force. "It's treason then." ME said as he sucked all the life force out of CheffOfGames.

"Now then, let's get the real threat dealt with."

AussieEevee has been killed.
Aussie has been killed, they were the YDYR (You Decide Your Role) -> YDY Power Ranger -> Blue Ranger
Jinjo has been killed, they were the Victini Giver

It is now Day 4, this phase will end in roughly 48 hours.

This may be the last phase.
D4 FT has been posted.

I'm curious as to why you didn't kill me N1 if you assumed I was going to be a big threat.
I mean, I understand exactly why you didn't kill me afterward. It was too easy to keep me around and watch me trip over my own two feet and hope that I'd be scum read for it (still surprised I didn't get myself lynched this game...wow).

If there was a town Watcher, we figured you would likely be watched. The objective early on was to slip in a kill without giving away we were behind it; Cheff was chosen for exactly the reasons why you chose Cheff.

And to be honest, I was hoping to be rid of you sooner, but there kept being more important targets. @Max1996 had to die because of his Captain role and the risk he'd use it on Pod. AussieEevee had to die to set up JD as scum and help throw you off our trail, in addition to the plan to weaponize Pika against Klav and the unexpressed hope I had that I read you right; I was certain we'd come into D4 minus someone, probably me, and we needed a counter to your big push against the mafia.

So, really, you ended up living straight to the end because there were always more important targets.

AE is incorrect about the Insanifier, however. It is not easy to balance, and I wouldn't recommend that newer hosts even bother to try it, but it can be done. You need to have something in the game that is a hard punishment for scum using that ability with abandon or give town powers that, when reversed, can benefit them more.
The role would still be OP, no matter how powerful the town got.

Endgame FT - Insane Plan
Endgame - Insane Plan

Maniacal Engineer was standing in the central of TWR with a big smile on his face. He turned around to face his army. "Men, it is time to proceed to the final step. Today TWR Awards shall all be mine and mine alone. Soon a society of ME will rise under my rule. With these badges none can stop me, ME!"
He took a moment to catch his breath from the excitement. "Now go, and gather all the remaining winners."

The army moved out at a rapid speed and without much noise were able to gather all remaining winners to the hall, neatly tied up as well.
"Fools! Not the servants, free them at once." Three ME fanatics were shocked and quickly untied Feenie, Jinjo and Zeonth. ME threw a bag of money to each of them.
"Honestly, I'm surprised." the engineer said to them. "Selling your awards to me and helping me out for a little bonus. You guys are too kind... Now leave this place, before I change my mind you've done well."
"What?!" DarthWolf looked surprised at this whole situation, both the culprits group and the fact that ME was behind it all. "How did you... How did we overlook this?"
He looked to the remaining group of survivors consisting of Midorikawa, Max1996 and Kyriaki and the remaining mods.

"It was far too easy." ME responded. Do you see now why I was the one willing to end Elementar's life, why I was the one to have trust in our friend Caps to take care of it alone."
He started to laugh. "Did you truly think he was able to beat the ZD duo alone, oh please even I would have a challenge facing them."
"No, impossible!" said Mido in anger.
Darth was surprised by the oversight of everything ME did. "So when you told me to killed pika..."
Kyriaki interrupted him. "You did what?!"
"Yes," ME said, "you see, I told the other mods to leave the comm room and let me handle it. Their blind trust was their downfall and I could just let you do all the hard work for me. After that, I had an even bigger audience presented to me to help me out." He pointed to the crowd of fanatics around them. "To be honest with you on this one, it wasn't even planned like this but Elie, oh Elieson, he was so kind to just offer this to me as his final gift. It was only a matter of time to have a chat with Zexy, Cheff and Pod to eliminate them away from any witnesses. All too easy."

"Now if you don't mind," he pulled his blaster, "it's time to finish this." He aimed at Max at shot him on sight.
"I'm glad you TWR people didn't intervene all that much so I'll offer you a swift death."
Bang, Kyriaki was next.
"You mods were the only real issue so for that I'll fire you..."
He sucked away all the moderation and admin powers from his victims.
"... literally!" ME concentrated the energy obtained from the mods and fired an explosive shot at them, instantly obliterating them and a few fanatics who were standing too close and were unaware.

ME stood victorious in the midst of the destruction.
"And that, my dear fans, is how you play mafia. You know who to vote next year."

Oh man! What a game.

This game proves that ME and Elieson are also humans.
This game also teaches us not to be over-reliant on any 1 person or 1 mechanism and not to be lazy in a Mafia game.

Congrats Mafia team. You played really well. Special mention to Eresh for uncoding all those codes successfully. And congrats again Mido, for that D1 victory.

GG Town. We were a bit sub-par in the game and were played really hard by the Mafia. Anyway we did a good job too and got a lot to learn from this game which would make us better players in the future.

ME and I were discussing on shifting the votes from jd to Eresh but in the end got lazy and/or confused to actually do it.

Also, I purposely idled last night as I had no idea whether I would be insanified or not. So I thought of not taking any more risks.

Generally, the rule that you must be active applies only to inthread... and so Pika should have gotten a warning for being inactive
*Piko
I was also inactive but not as much as Pikochu.

*Piko
I was also inactive but not as much as Pikochu.
Oops. Sorry.

Either way, two things are certain. The insanifer should never see the light of day again, and future games should require active participation in the actual game thread.

So now that the FT is done. Let me comment on the game.

First of all, congratulations to the winners. It was a close game in the end but you managed to pull this of without a death in the party. You did great, especially Eresh, worthy of best single mafia award, cracking the codes on N1 and having everything figured out by D2. I was even asked if I would have liked Eresh to translate all the codes for me. I refused just to make sure everything went fine and to check wheever I read it earlier that Eresh.
There were, as Eresh said, a few slip ups which could have been caught. Some of them where I was like "Oh you're screwed why did you do that" Sometimes playing very risky.
The fact that both Piko and MP claimed driver, not even discussing fake claims in the chat felt to them like they screwed up. I thought the same, but a logical result was that no one expected scum to screw up like that and that one of the 2 was honest. This was part of the confusion near the end of who was on the scum team. Honestly, I'm surprised you went for jd first and not Eresh, knowing Eresh was scum and jd having the possible chance of being town. Flipping Eresh's role would have cleared jd.

As you may have noticed I based the team names on the winning team awards.

About roles though let me go through a few and explain a few things.
First of all, the big question that bothered Eresh for so long. What does the Recruit do?
Tbh it was hard to figure this one out at first to the point where i left it unknown for myself when sign ups opened. I had to do something with it and in the end decided to give a 1x power whenever another mafia member died. The thing is Eresh, they never did die so you didn't know. I would base in on the actual performance of the allies in terms of talking, not in terms of power usage. Basically the concept was to learn from fallen allies and use that training in your advantage. I wanted to keep you weak in power cause of the insanifier.
Now about that role, yes it was really strong but you knew it had to be in here. It was the first role added after setting up the award list :p
In general I built each role mostly on what seemed to fit them with their awards. I hope everyone that got added in here was satisfied with their role made for them.
There has been some talk about the rolecop being too good for the insanifier. Although indeed great, some roles had names that were cryptic enough to not understand. Besides, in the end, they didnt really need the role. You all just claimed your role in the face of mafia XD

AS for jd's role. I've mentioned it briefly but here are the following effects:
Greninja - Tracker
Hydreigon - Roleblocker, I considered Vig but didnt want the chance of 4 kills at night like that
Lucario - Cop
Typhlosion - PGO, it requires a target as input to keep the role consistent and the effect a secret but in the end would just ignore it. jd couldn't figure it out but Elie did so it was nice to see that the hint worked in some way. Too bad jd was already cop checked N1 as no one targeted him N2 :p

Jinjo's Victini Giver was a nice idea but there were 2 main issues.
1 it was given to the wrong people, given to those that couldn't use it properly or given back to jinjo which was also bad.
2 I noticed that the role was too slow to effectively work out

Eevee, oh poor Eevee. I swear at some point I kinda felt bad for you.
It was a fun concept to make your own role based on a few words. I like how Eresh faked the same thing to ME with only 1 word, something like underpowered or underwhelming right XD
For his word choice, although it technically happened in D1 I let him chose before it started to give myself some more time to make a role... or 6. So, being AE, he chose a Power Rangers quote and so I decided to keep the choice theme consistent and give him one of the colours from the original series. I based each one on colour meanings used in the real world. Red and green being a partial exception. Red as the leader works both as a colour and as the character. For green I gave the miller effect as he was originally the villain of the series. A misunderstanding happened in the role, being made so quickly, in that AE thought he could choose each night. Rereading it, I could see how he got that and is definitely something that I personally screwed up.
Now, he chose Yellow ranger and wanted to confirm ME with Elie as allies. A good move from his perspective but ME was already going to shoot Elie so it would have been useless anyway.
He got insanified that night, seriously mafia, the only role I wasn't ready for to flip and you choose it. So I grabbed this thing
color-wheel-300.gif
Not the exact one but similar thing. I would pick the opposite and blue was the closest one there was. Then I debated if that should also be a change from choosing sane yellow to getting insane blue. In the end I thought it would be fun and AE would know something was wrong. Maybe not the best choice in the end it was certainly effective.

The OC Captain was there to promote OC play, recently most games have no OC and some people, including myself, wanna see a return in that. I made this role improve that, when I knew max would get it I was intrigued, given his general playstyle. If it wasn't for ME he would have just been like, oh well not using it I guess. Which, to be fair Max, wouldn't be a wise decision. You're given a tool to help town and not using it would cripple your own teams chance of winning.

Cheff was forgetful enough to not claim miller which he wanted to do. that would have given a whole new dynamic on Day 1 and the first night kill most likely as well. Too bad he couldn't use his power.
About the first day, Mido won surprisingly easy, I was looking forward to her play her role but that ended too soon XD

Originally Eresh and Elie's roles were 2 seperate roles. Eresh would be the recruit and a 1x Deathproof Godfather
Elie would have a duo of masons. That chance made such a difference this game.

Lastly, the Reporter Rolecop. They needed to kill 1 mafia, the insanifier, and some town members. The point of the rolecop was to give them their own game of figuring out who was who based on their roles and the list of winners and awards. Some roles can make it more obvious than others. Their intented goal was to figure out roles that needed to die and collaborate with both parties to kill them. I feel like OS didnt use it like that though. The Reporter was to both mess with the game and have fun and to possibly send out rolecop results to mess with the lynch/kill targets as planned for themselves.

Now as requested, the night actions:
Mafia Rolecop - AE > Blue Ranger
MP Kill Cheff (Oh how much confusion this caused)
jd Greninja/Track Klavier > visited jd (kinda funny)
Doctor protect ME
Victini goes to Max
Failed Yellow Ranger attempt to masonise ME and Elie due to insanify change
Cop check jd > Town
Vig shoot Elie
Indep Rolecop Klavier > Cop
Insanify AE
MP kill Max
Mafia Rolecop Jinjo > Victini Giver
jd Typhlosion/PGO (intended target was AE), never triggered
OC Captain forces Officer to target Officer and MP
Give Victini back to Jinjo (Yes give back, not cause of Max' death. Also Jinjo, I would have given a different phrasing if it came back on death)
Doctor protects Klavier
AE checks if Eresh visited no one, true but insane so returns false
Cop check AE, town but insanified so returns Mafia
Indep Rolecop Eresh (would have helped a lot for town) > blocked due to not targeting himself and MP by Max' power
Insanify Klavier
Give Victini to jd (forgot to do this at first but gave it later, didn't matter anyway)
AE checks if "jd is town" is correct > True so returns False but died so no result
Cop check Jinjo > Town
Vig shoots Jinjo
Insanify Pika
Eresh kills AE

So tell me, why am I always the corrupt staffer?

...oh. I guess it’s just more fun to write me that way, isn’t it? :p
Fun story, I had no idea yet how I wanted to go with this when writing the first death. Then while writing I got the idea to let you set up all the kills. Hinting it in every piece of flavour. You being mafia flavour wise was the most obvious given the insanifier. It was only fitting to do it this way.

In the end, I think game is a great example of learning things, both as players and me as host. I wouldn't say host worthy of an award but defintely something you cn learn from.

I can't finish this without questions, now can I?
What did you think of the game if you already didnt say so?
What do you think of the roles in relation to the awards?
What did you think of the Flavour?
What would you change in the game and how?
Would you like to see a TWR Awards '19 Mafia?
Any other comments?

Back
Top Bottom