• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

The Western Cartoons/Animation Thread!

takoyaki

↑avatar by Blanc♡
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
This is a thread dedicated to discussing all kinds of Western-inspired (no anime!) moving picture thingies, so I think that's (cartoon?) animation!

That we have an animanga section, but nothin’ for franco-belgian comics or western animation.

And thanks to @MissDelibirda for telling us about the absence of a thread about this! Even though it's not specifically a section (the reason for that is because Pokémon doesn't have any Western comics or animation IIRC), hopefully this works!

I'm not into Western animation, but for those of you who are, have fun~!!

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Nice! Truth be told I haven't seen much anime in my life, aside from obviously Pokemon along with a few others, but there are a lot of cartoons from the west I've grown up seeing and still love to this day.
SpongeBob SquarePants (No shocker there)
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius
The Angry Beavers
CatDog
ChalkZone
Danny Phantom
Doug
The Fairly OddParents (The first 5 seasons)
Hey Arnold! (This might be my all time favorite Nick show)
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Rocket Power
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats
Oh Yeah! Cartoons
Dexter's Laboratory
Johnny Bravo
The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
Ed, Edd n Eddy (My favorite CN show)
Courage the Cowardly Dog
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Codename: Kids Next Door
Regular Show
The Amazing World of Gumball
Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
Batman Beyond
The Batman (2004)
Static Shock
Teen Titans (2003)
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994)
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
What's New, Scooby-Doo?
Xiaolin Showdown
Looney Tunes
Tiny Toon Adventures
Jackie Chan Adventures
The Simpsons
Futurama
King of the Hill
Lilo & Stitch: The Series
Phineas and Ferb
The Proud Family
Kim Possible
Classic Disney Shorts
House Of Mouse (The opening theme was so catchy)

Truth be told there maybe more shows I'm forgetting.

Of course there are recent cartoons as well like Amphibia and The Owl House I've been enjoying. It goes without saying, but I can't stress enough no one is ever too old for animation.

Last edited:

Insanish Danish

oh wow, sports
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
House of Mouse was so underrated. I loved that show when I was a kid.

I like a lot of western cartoons, but I'm particularly fond of Infinity Train, The Owl House, Adventure Time, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, and Hilda (really recommend this one to anyone who just wants something sweet and cozy to watch, particularly with some kind of warm beverage and a blanket).

Last edited:

MissDelibirda

Somewhat prudish. Avatar by Ken Sugimori.
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
Currently, I only watch Xilam things. ADHD makes it hard to not watch anything I am strongly interested in.

Battista

Nostalgic Curmudgeon
Reaction score
As someone who spent an unhealthy amount of time in front of the TV as a child, I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread ;)

Not sure if this is still a thing, but for us 90s kids you generally found yourself in one of three factions based on channel, even if you watched all three: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney. Though Rugrats was my first show and early SpongeBob was also a favorite, I eventually ended up mostly entrenched in the Cartoon Network camp with Dexter’s Lab, Powerpuff Girls and Courage the Cowardly Dog. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays were a big part of my weekend ritual, and cartoonnetwork.com was the only website of the three that I frequented. I could go into a whole other tangent about Cartoon Orbit and the Shockwave games, but don’t want to take things too far off course. In the meantime, enjoy the complex and nuanced gameplay of the Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort Quadrilogy ;)

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
So yeah, since I want this thread to stay going for as long as possible I thought I'd share this lovely clip from another favorite of mine Transformers: Prime, the first Transformers show I actually managed to finish watching. Highly recommend this show. Frank Welker and Steve Blum do this scene justice with their performances as Megatron and Starscream respectively.

Coolsteph

Reaction score
I like Infinity Train, Transformers Prime, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Thundercats 2011, Sym-Bionic Titan, Teen Titans (original), Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Code Lyoko, Masters of the Universe: Revelations, Voltron: Legendary Defender (it's said to get really bad later, but I haven't gotten that far), and The Owl House. I like parts of Amphibia, but the art style and episodic, humorous, occasionally paint-by-numbers plots disappointed me.

Kung Fu Ferret

Soaring Hope
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I think I read somewhere that Disney's theatrical animation studio is starting to focus once again on 2D animation at some point. I wonder what stories and concepts they could adapt. Maybe a family-friendly cartoon musical interpretation of The Epic of Gilgamesh. I'd pay to see that in theaters!

Last edited:

MissDelibirda

Somewhat prudish. Avatar by Ken Sugimori.
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
Lookin' forward to when Oggy and The Cockroaches - Next Generation arrives on Netflix on 28th July!