• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Western Cartoons/Animation Thread!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
This is a thread dedicated to discussing all kinds of Western-inspired (no anime!) moving picture thingies, so I think that's (cartoon?) animation!

That we have an animanga section, but nothin’ for franco-belgian comics or western animation.

And thanks to @MissDelibirda for telling us about the absence of a thread about this! Even though it's not specifically a section (the reason for that is because Pokémon doesn't have any Western comics or animation IIRC), hopefully this works!

I'm not into Western animation, but for those of you who are, have fun~!!

Nice! Truth be told I haven't seen much anime in my life, aside from obviously Pokemon along with a few others, but there are a lot of cartoons from the west I've grown up seeing and still love to this day.
SpongeBob SquarePants (No shocker there)
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius
The Angry Beavers
CatDog
ChalkZone
Danny Phantom
Doug
The Fairly OddParents (The first 5 seasons)
Hey Arnold! (This might be my all time favorite Nick show)
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Rocket Power
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats
Oh Yeah! Cartoons
Dexter's Laboratory
Johnny Bravo
The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
Ed, Edd n Eddy (My favorite CN show)
Courage the Cowardly Dog
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Codename: Kids Next Door
Regular Show
The Amazing World of Gumball
Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
Batman Beyond
The Batman (2004)
Static Shock
Teen Titans (2003)
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994)
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
What's New, Scooby-Doo?
Xiaolin Showdown
Looney Tunes
Tiny Toon Adventures
Jackie Chan Adventures
The Simpsons
Futurama
King of the Hill
Lilo & Stitch: The Series
Phineas and Ferb
The Proud Family
Kim Possible
Classic Disney Shorts
House Of Mouse (The opening theme was so catchy)

Truth be told there maybe more shows I'm forgetting.

Of course there are recent cartoons as well like Amphibia and The Owl House I've been enjoying. It goes without saying, but I can't stress enough no one is ever too old for animation.

Last edited:
House of Mouse was so underrated. I loved that show when I was a kid.

I like a lot of western cartoons, but I'm particularly fond of Infinity Train, The Owl House, Adventure Time, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, and Hilda (really recommend this one to anyone who just wants something sweet and cozy to watch, particularly with some kind of warm beverage and a blanket).

Last edited:
As someone who spent an unhealthy amount of time in front of the TV as a child, I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread ;)

Not sure if this is still a thing, but for us 90s kids you generally found yourself in one of three factions based on channel, even if you watched all three: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney. Though Rugrats was my first show and early SpongeBob was also a favorite, I eventually ended up mostly entrenched in the Cartoon Network camp with Dexter’s Lab, Powerpuff Girls and Courage the Cowardly Dog. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays were a big part of my weekend ritual, and cartoonnetwork.com was the only website of the three that I frequented. I could go into a whole other tangent about Cartoon Orbit and the Shockwave games, but don’t want to take things too far off course. In the meantime, enjoy the complex and nuanced gameplay of the Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort Quadrilogy ;)

So yeah, since I want this thread to stay going for as long as possible I thought I'd share this lovely clip from another favorite of mine Transformers: Prime, the first Transformers show I actually managed to finish watching. Highly recommend this show. Frank Welker and Steve Blum do this scene justice with their performances as Megatron and Starscream respectively.

I like Infinity Train, Transformers Prime, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Thundercats 2011, Sym-Bionic Titan, Teen Titans (original), Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Code Lyoko, Masters of the Universe: Revelations, Voltron: Legendary Defender (it's said to get really bad later, but I haven't gotten that far), and The Owl House. I like parts of Amphibia, but the art style and episodic, humorous, occasionally paint-by-numbers plots disappointed me.

I think I read somewhere that Disney's theatrical animation studio is starting to focus once again on 2D animation at some point. I wonder what stories and concepts they could adapt. Maybe a family-friendly cartoon musical interpretation of The Epic of Gilgamesh. I'd pay to see that in theaters!

Last edited:
Huge fan of RWBY, the first 8 seasons are on RoosterTeeth for free (with a few ads), 9 is on Crunchyroll for now. Each season is like 1.5 feature length film, absolutely suggest watching it over 2 weeks or so.

Another one I like but have only seen clips here and there is Avatar : The Last Airbender plus the sequel The Legend of Korra, of course. We even had an April Fools theme based on the latter here long ago.

You can basically look at TheGoldenDuck's post for what I watched in the past and rewatch.

Among the recently finished I've kept up with:
  • Adventure Time
  • Young Justice
  • Steven Universe (Binged it this year)
  • My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
  • DuckTales 2017
  • Amphibia
  • The Owl House
  • Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Ironically didn't see the original in the 80s despite being a kid in that decade.)

Currently among some ongoing stuff:
  • Animaniacs
  • Harley Quinn
  • The Ghost and Molly McGee
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
  • Hailey's On It
  • Polly Pocket
  • Strawberry Shortcake Berry in the Big City
  • Gremlins Secret of the Mogwai
  • Futurama

You can basically look at TheGoldenDuck's post for what I watched in the past and rewatch.

Among the recently finished I've kept up with:
  • Adventure Time
  • Young Justice
  • Steven Universe (Binged it this year)
  • My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
  • DuckTales 2017
  • Amphibia
  • The Owl House
  • Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Ironically didn't see the original in the 80s despite being a kid in that decade.)

Currently among some ongoing stuff:
  • Animaniacs
  • Harley Quinn
  • The Ghost and Molly McGee
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
  • Hailey's On It
  • Polly Pocket
  • Strawberry Shortcake Berry in the Big City
  • Gremlins Secret of the Mogwai
  • Futurama
Are you two related? Did not know that (no need to reply publicly if you do not want to, you can always PM me)

I have only seen some Futurama clips from all these, it had a cool premise for a show but some time travel stuff was super weird.

oh thank god this thread exists
cartoons i've watched:
gravity falls
adventure time
steven universe
the amazing world of gumball
ok ko let's be heroes
craig of the creek
rocko's modern life
hey arnold
amphibia
the owl house
infinity train
hilda
bojack horseman
tuca and bertie
moral orel
regular show
daria
phineas and ferb
my life as a teenage robot
animaniacs
the grim adventures of billy and mandy
chowder
the simpsons (but only the first few seasons are good)
futurama
bob's burgers
my little pony: friendship is magic
bee and puppycat

Oh right Phineas and Ferb too, that is another cool one :) Although I kinda felt bad for Candace, she had so much big sister energy.

For me it’s (you’re gonna see something very wrong with me at one point):
  • SpongeBob
  • WordGirl (it has a cult following)
  • Miraculous (not an anime)
  • Cyberchase (I hate the flash animation)
  • Jake and the Neverland Pirates (yeah I know)
  • Wild Kratts
  • Family Guy
  • American Dad
  • The Cleveland Show
  • Bob’s Burgers
  • Squidbillies
  • South Park

Actually I watch some shows in that area. Sofia the First, Elena of Avalor, as well as Spidey and His Amazing Friends.
Wait, you do? That’s cool! I used to watch Sofia the First a lot when I was younger. I got back into Jake and the Neverland Pirates two months ago and remembered it two months before that (lucky). I still don’t understand how it can’t be revived.
And by very wrong, I meant half the shows I watched were pretty bad. I also sometimes watch the Boondocks (yeah, I know).

Wait, you do? That’s cool! I used to watch Sofia the First a lot when I was younger. I got back into Jake and the Neverland Pirates two months ago and remembered it two months before that (lucky). I still don’t understand how it can’t be revived.
And by very wrong, I meant half the shows I watched were pretty bad. I also sometimes watch the Boondocks (yeah, I know).

I get some enjoyment of The Boondocks from time to time as well.

But yeah when it comes to last decades and the present kid shows, I don't have the youth defense. I'm currently watching this stuff at the age of 41.

Also got into the Barbie Dream House shows on Netflix.

I get some enjoyment of The Boondocks from time to time as well.
Yeah. I discovered it in 2020 and would often quote it.
But yeah when it comes to last decades and the present kid shows, I don't have the youth defense. I'm currently watching this stuff at the age of 41.
WordGirl has like many adult fans and is popular on Tumblr (“the WordGirl fandom”)
Also got into the Barbie Dream House shows on Netflix.
Oh really? I used to love Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse when I was younger. It’s so cool and nostalgic.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom