• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Wonderful World of RPing

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
RPs or Roleplays for short is the culmination of more than one person taking part in it. Being part of a few RPs myself, there are both pros and cons to RPing. The biggest con is time availability, you might be free but others might be busy so the continuation of an RP has to be put on hold until they return. However, there are a lot more pros than cons. Pros include letting your creativity flow mostly unopposed, putting yourself in the shoes of your character and most of all, escapism. Now to beginners, RP might sound scary at first, but don't worry, everyone starts somewhere.

How I started was when I did the classic [Character name: What the character says and/or does] type of line. There's nothing wrong with starting with that even though some expert RPers would say otherwise. But you can go further from that and be more "descriptive", lack of a better word in what the character says or does. Heres an example: 'As he was overlooking the sunset after tough battles in a Pokemon Gym, Arti was nervous about facing the Pokemon League, but his confidence shines through, he says "No matter whether we win or lose, what matters is that we will try." while facing his Pokemon.'

Now, in an RP, someone has got to be a GM so they can guide players along with a story, the GM is usually the person who creates the story, but there are exceptions to this, however, those exceptions are extremely rare. As a GM, you have more things to remember, so always be ready to know what you plan to do with your story and make sure that players are able to make their characters to be important in the story, you can always have a change of plans if the players who have said characters doesn't have the time to log in anymore.

RPs can have varying levels of complexity and as a GM, you can make it as complicated as roleplaying games such as Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder or have it be as simple as a linear story. However, do keep in mind that different players have different preferences for the complexity, which is a huge part in their interest to join your RP. In the only RP I have created in another site, I like to keep the character registration open so players who are interested can join. I know that most don't do that, but I like having new players being part of the RP as even new players can come up with very interesting backstories for their character. Maybe the character is a new arrival in a new city or they could be someone who is having a hard time to control themself, the possibilities for backstories are endless.

I love RPing, and that's why I'm on FB, but there's so much things, and there's money too, and you need people to update, and it's different from other RPs I did similar to what I do on RM. The simple asterisks format. I'm used to that, and FB seems so complicated to me.

busts down wall

I heard Roleplay!

I'm kidding.

Anyway, I too like roleplay and enjoyed reading this.

You did get one thing wrong, though. For more story based RPs, lacking the finicky dice rolls and calculations of D&D (not that I don't like D&D) the GM is perfectly capable, and often has their own character. That's how it works on the site I hang out at anyways and that's how it's worked in every roleplay I've been in (most of which are, admittedly, my own).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom