• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The World Ends With You - Now Airing!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
The Nintendo DS classic The World Ends With You is getting an anime adaptation and it. Looks. Gorgeous.

This is one of, if not my all time favourite game ever to be created, and certainly the best game on the DS, and I'm so excited to see it get an anime. It's a wonderful story and it'll easily transfer so well to an anime. Also I love that they kept the game's artstyle in the anime. They could've so easily changed it to be a generic look but it looks just like the game and it's so great! They even got the same music composer, and the music in the game was godly so this is gonna be good.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this and I'm hyped, I quite liked the game as well though I wouldn't call it my favorite DS title. I'm just hoping it won't be a poor adaptation like the Persona 5 animation (the Persona 3 movies are okay though as well as 4's adaptation). Definitely going to keep up with news about this though, and I can't wait to see my favorite character make his appearance in this adaptation:
Minamimoto08.png

extremely late to the partyyy
I just finished the game around a month ago so I'm excited to watch the anime!

There'll be a ticketed streaming world premiere event that will air the first episode early:

View: https://twitter.com/TWEWY_PR/status/1366342945440370690

I bought myself a world premiere ticket as well as the limited merch, which is a TWEWY-designed skateboard. I don't skate (and wouldn't want to get it scratched anyway), but am still super excited to get it!! The base world premiere ticket is around $20 USD but if you want to buy the ticket together with the talk session, it'll be around $30. Sadly the talk session doesn't come with an English interpreter/subtitles (everything else does) so I had to pass on that since I can't speak well enough in Japanese. :<

Merch was very expensive and may have extra costs later on when it starts shipping out and has to go through customs, etc. I paid around $200 USD to have it sent internationally, excluding the price of the ticket. Still very much worth it to me though - this series is pretty niche and I want to support the creators!

So does anyone know how many episodes this is? So far episode 1 was rushed and like I mentioned in the "last anime watched thread", I'm not keen on keeping up with this if episode 2 is just as rushed. If it's one cour then I guess that could explain it being paced too fast, but still so far I find it mediocre imo.

Also did anyone hear about the anime opening being changed last minute due to ALI's drummer being arrested? Nothing unusual for that happening over there, but I just thought it was interesting.

• Staff
Wikipedia currently has 5 episodes listed, but I'm not sure if that's all of the episodes, or only the ones announced so far.

Personally I'm not gonna bother watching any of it until it's finished and I can just watch it all at once. Since AnimeLab has it listed as a premium anime, and I don't wanna pay more subscription fees than I have to.

Visually, the anime looked great. In other regards... meh? It was okay, don't get me wrong. But the pacing was kind of a mess, and I feel like it'd be kind of confusing to anyone not already familiar with the game.

Music wasn't that good either? The only good moment music-wise was in the beginning when "Calling" played. Seems like a big issue for a game so well-loved for its soundtrack.

I also personally was kinda disappointed that Neku doesn't even really have the same bite to him that he did in the game. Read that some people have said his characterization in the anime is more like the Japanese version where he was just more of a loner than a bit of a sarcastic ass + loner lol (dunno if that's true, I'm only familiar with the English localization), but regardless, I liked game!Neku's personality much more. He's just kinda... dull here.

For some reason, though, I'm actually liking Shiki a lot more in the anime than I did in the game, though maybe that's just the result of years passing. Or maybe I just like her Japanese voice more.

So does anyone know how many episodes this is?

There were 12 episodes listed on the Japanese anime webpage advertising Blu-ray availability. If they stick with the
3 game days per episode
pace then we should have a few episodes left by the end to go into detail on events that happened after the three weeks. I'm hoping we get a bit more on
Coco and her connection to the reapers, plus expanded info on everything else that happened in A New Day.
I feel like they'll be trying to tie it more closely to the sequel game coming out in July, since it's marketed as being a direct sequel to the anime rather than the original game.

The pace was a bit fast yeah, plenty of people seem to agree with that. I wish they could've had two cours but I understand budget may not have allowed for that. Am still very happy with the series so far, and am looking forward to future episodes (as well as my son Joshua) lol

Also yeah, that scandal with the drummer of the original opening was a mess. @_@ But Japan is extremely strict in that regard, so I'm not surprised they chose to swap out the opening altogether.

Yeah I know the listing now, since before AniList just had it as airing but someone in one of the threads there confirmed 12 episodes. Well that could explain it being unnecessarily rushed so now my hopes are even lower than before. I might just drop it after episode 2 tbh.

I also personally was kinda disappointed that Neku doesn't even really have the same bite to him that he did in the game. Read that some people have said his characterization in the anime is more like the Japanese version where he was just more of a loner than a bit of a sarcastic ass + loner lol (dunno if that's true, I'm only familiar with the English localization), but regardless, I liked game!Neku's personality much more. He's just kinda... dull here.
Oh good I'm not the only one that noticed it. I'm like you in that I've only played the English version so I don't know how his Japanese counterpart is like, and I know it's been a long time since I've played it but I never remembered him being this much of a loner.

I feel like they'll be trying to tie it more closely to the sequel game coming out in July, since it's marketed as being a direct sequel to the anime rather than the original game.
Seems like they are since there are already character changes with
Neku being possessed when he strangles Shiki compared to him willingly doing it like in the game, and Futoshi isn't a Reaper in the original either.
And with the sequel game taking place 3 years after the anime events apparently, it seems they're going for a slight recap with some deviation rather than being an actual adaptation. If it were two cour they could easily fit in all three weeks and maybe be a bit more faithful instead of whatever this is. (imo at least, if you like it that's cool)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom