• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

WORLDBUILDING: The Worlds Across the Stage of Time

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
The basic premise of this idea:

It is a beloved play in the Tawame repertoire--"A Phoenix's Promise is Never Broken". The show's thrilling plot tells the story of how the Six Spirits rescued an elder's daughter from the clutches of one of their most famous nemeses--the warlord Tsubaki. Along the way, the group clashes with yokai and Tsubaki's lackeys, but ultimately rescues the elder's daughter, and they are hailed as heroes across Waku. The show is so popular, tickets at the Kagayou sell out well in advance, and the play is broadcast on TV for those that can't come see the show live.

But as Ash and the gang rehearse the beloved play, little do they know that thousands of years in the past, the same story is playing out as their ancient counterparts--the very Six Spirits of legend immortalized in the modern day--race to rescue Glorious Snow, daughter of the elder of Bright Ice Town--and their adventure of the past resonates through time to affect the play taking place in the modern day.

What wonders and terrors await Ruby Phoenix and his companions on their adventure, and how does it affect Ash and the gang in the modern day? It's the ultimate in "You teach me, and I'll teach you" as a grand adventure unfolds across time, an ancient Pokemon world, and a modern day stage...

Last edited:
  • Staff
A Profile of the Modern Play

"A Phoenix's Promise is Never Broken" is a thrilling episode from the adventures of the Six Spirits. Ash's performance as Ruby Phoenix got rave reviews from both the press and Tawame fans alike, leading to a long and successful run at the Kagayou as well as on tour. But what many do not know is that the show is actually a reworked version of an earlier play that supposedly was never performed--but there is mounting evidence that it has been performed, but not in modern times.

The show tells the story of how the Six Spirits rescued an elder's daughter from the clutches of one of their most famous nemeses--the warlord Tsubaki. The play gets its name from a scene early in Act 1, when Ruby Phoenix assures a worried townsperson that he and the other Spirits will do whatever they can to rescue the elder's daughter. Along the way, the group clashes with yokai and Tsubaki's lackeys, but ultimately rescues the elder's daughter, and they are hailed as heroes across Waku.

"A lot of people don't know that this play was reworked from an earlier version." Brock explains. "What is often performed today is the rework, but so far, the earlier script has never been found. If the earlier script is ever found, it will be very valuable to Tawame scholars to solve an enduring mystery--what was the original play like? Can it still be staged today? If not, why not? And most importantly, why was it reworked into the version that is performed today? No matter what happens in the quest to piece together its history, the rework--which is a very popular play in its own right--isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We all had fun with this play, but it would warm my heart as a folklorist and storyteller if the original version of the play was found."

"Ash's delivery of the line that gives this play its name still gives me chills even now." Dawn remembers. "At this point in the scene, a townsperson--who it is changes from show to show--asks Ruby Phoenix how he will be able to rescue the elder's daughter, Glorious Snow. I can still quote the monologue with the pivotal line--'Know this--a phoenix's promise is never broken, no matter how long it takes. I will move a hundred mountains, and cross a hundred seas to bring Tsubaki to justice, and rescue Lady Glorious Snow.' I can feel the strength and courage in these lines every time Ash says them--and audiences go nuts when he says these iconic lines."

Ash plays Ruby Phoenix

Misty plays Sapphire Dragon

Brock plays Emerald Raikou

Serena plays Golden Delphox

May plays Jade Beautifly

Dawn plays Pearl Deerling

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom