• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 11/11/13 - please read before post

Hello, I was just informed that I broke a new rule about the character minimum to 1000 in first chapters/prologues, which was placed after I posted my first chapter a month before.

So, what am I supposed to do?

The rule only applies to fics posted after that for the time being, so right now you do not need to do anything. However, it may be worth looking over your prologue/first chapter anyway and seeing if it needs any fine tuning, as we put the rule in place as we found most prologues or first chapters beneath that limit were either of a low quality or, in terms of prologues, not entirely worthwhile.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 11/11/13 - please read before post

Hi. I want to update a fic that I abandoned a long time ago. Is it possible for someone to move this story (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/weapon-137723/) back to the main section so I can finish it?
Thanks, and apologies if requests like these go in another thread.

Hi. I want to update a fic that I abandoned a long time ago. Is it possible for someone to move this story (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/weapon-137723/) back to the main section so I can finish it?
Thanks, and apologies if requests like these go in another thread.

You will have to update it if you want it to be visible once again, as it is still in the Fairground but just has not been updated for a year.

I would greatly appreciate it if a moderator could check the fic i just posted to see if it is up to standards. It's one page in Microsoft word with Times New Roman, Single spaced, and size 12, but seems too short on here.

Alright, thanks!

What counts as "explicit language"? For example, how would the following two be rated (spoilered just in case)

"Get out of it, you little bastard!" she snapped.

"Get out of it, you little buggers," she snapped

What counts as "explicit language"? For example, how would the following two be rated (spoilered just in case)

"Get out of it, you little bastard!" she snapped.

"Get out of it, you little buggers," she snapped

When it comes to language, each word and the context it is used comes into play when deciding on its appropriateness. I think saying the latter would be alright if used only once/very very infrequently in Everyone if used in a necessary way; if it was used in Teen, you could use more regularly, perhaps for a rude Grandfather or something, and Mature it would be no problem. The former would be fine if used in Teen, but again infrequently. I think the guidelines we set out imply but do not specifically state that you can use strong language in 'Teen', but it becomes Mature if you use it every about as frequently as 'and' and 'the'.

Rule Two has been updated; due to the difficulty of judging 'one page', and some people being able to get around the rule with clever spacing, we have changed it so that all new stories must have a first chapter/prologue of 1,000 words, which is essentially a whole page anyway. Please judge the necessity of splitting prologues and first chapters with care; a prologue is not always necessary, and if it is, filling 1,000 words is not a terribly difficult task.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 12/01/14 - please read before post

Is it against the rules if you post links in the story to outside stuff? Like for example, I'm thinking of writing out an entire Pokemon game (not a ROM hack or anything like that! Just a new region I might build from scratch and my character's journey through it...) and instead of having people gues what kind of Pokemon are in my new region, I'd rather just link them to a Google Drive spreadsheet with the regional Pokedex's listing. Would links like that (which would help the story be more... understandable, be allowed or no?)

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 12/01/14 - please read before post

Is it against the rules if you post links in the story to outside stuff? Like for example, I'm thinking of writing out an entire Pokemon game (not a ROM hack or anything like that! Just a new region I might build from scratch and my character's journey through it...) and instead of having people gues what kind of Pokemon are in my new region, I'd rather just link them to a Google Drive spreadsheet with the regional Pokedex's listing. Would links like that (which would help the story be more... understandable, be allowed or no?)

There is no harm in doing that, it is not against any rules. You can also post that sort of information into either a spoiler in the first post of your story or post it into a blog on this site which you can then link to in the first post :)

I know first chapters have to be at least 1000 words, but do subsequent chapters have to follow the same guideline?

We would appreciate it if all chapters aimed to be 1000 words but we will not be moderating fics for the time being.

Curious, does the thousand-word min apply to one-shots as well?

Curious, does the thousand-word min apply to one-shots as well?

No it does not, though I would think if you were doing a one shot with a plot you would probably need to reach around 1,000 words to convincingly tell it.

A bit of a bizarre question. I'm working on a fiction where the introduction (e.g. what it is, the index, and other details) are part of the prologue as introduced by one of the characters. If the Introduction/Prologue is 1,000 words or more, is that acceptable? Or is it mandatory that I split the two?

A bit of a bizarre question. I'm working on a fiction where the introduction (e.g. what it is, the index, and other details) are part of the prologue as introduced by one of the characters. If the Introduction/Prologue is 1,000 words or more, is that acceptable? Or is it mandatory that I split the two?

They can be in the same post, but I think we would need to count the two as separate, so 1K for the prologue itself.

Reading the rules Lindsay confused me. From what I read it said you may post links to your stories but then again you can't.

Also where do I exactly post my story?

@Raveg64: You post your story in the Fairground. I am not sure which rule/s you are referring to that have confused you; there is a rule that you cannot just create a thread that links to another website (ie FanFiction.net) where your story is, but you can post your story and provide a link to another website where you would prefer to get reviews for. I am happy to clarify any other rules

I currently do not have any pieces of Pokemon fan fiction to post here. However, I do have plenty of ideas and potential prompts I would love to share. Thing is, there's nothing in the rules about creating and having threads for that sort of thing in The Fiction Fairground. Can such threads be posted in The Fiction Fairground, or is there a more appropriate forum where such threads can be made? If so, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom