• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 2018, writers of Bulbagarden! As it is a new year, that also means continuing (or finishing) ongoing projects and starting brand new ones!

In my case, Moonlight Silver has 8 more episodes to go, and Shine Diamond will begin towards the end of January (maybe into February) Live from the Fireside will also be back this week, as well.

Some other updates:

Hunter, Haunted by canisaries
Sibling Rivalry by Antoshi
Let's Play Pokemon Plus and Minus by SeanWheeler
The Island of Dr. Fuji by Gama
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by lucarioknight56
Reverberations of Time by Unown Seer
Land of the Roses (Christmas special) by Emma Prescott

How bout it? Do you have any interesting and exciting new projects for the year? I'd love to hear about them!

Until next time, happy writing!

It's that time again!
4QlghQe.gif

We've had a busy week here, so let's get started on the rundown!

Announcements
The Winter 2017 Awards are still in full swing and we've barely got any user voting in! Voting ends next Friday, January 19th so there's still time, but deadlines like that have a habit of sneaking up on you before you know it. Want your voice heard? Let's hear it!

We're looking to make a few changes in The Written Word: the General Writing Questions has been renamed to Simple Questions, Simple Answers and is now intended for quick little questions. Got a question that's complex or could blossom into a whole discussion? Start a new thread for it!

A little note on the Review League, the scoreboard is now tracking total accumulated points instead of just how many a reviewer has. Who knows, maybe something special will happen when someone reaches an impressive milestone...

A last little personal note regarding myself, and it's something I'm sure most of you have noticed. But for those who haven't, I've switched away from the name Emma Prescott. I'm still the same person and I'm just as approachable as always with Writers' Workshop-related issues! Got any problems, lemme know!

New Releases
Quite a few this week!

Other
I'd just like to thank everyone for their continued interaction with the community. Activity is through the roof and we're still going strong! Let's keep it up!

6d9.gif

All right, y'all, I've got a lot to cover here. Are you ready? I'm ready. Let's go.

FIRST OFF, if you haven't noticed, I've been doing a bit of spring cleaning around here (yeah, when it isn't even spring, for shame). While there used to be 200 pages worth of fics on the main page spanning from 2006 onward, I have whittled it down to just 21 pages. Old fics, finished or unfinished, from before 2014 are all now in the Workshop Archive. Some fics posted after 2014 have been moved as well if they were one-shots. If for some reason your fic was moved and you want it back on the main page, or if you want a fic moved to the archive, all you have to do is shoot one of the mods a message saying so! The help thread will be discontinued due to its lack use.

COOL. SO WHAT? Well, I didn't think there was much point to the archive if it wasn't going to be used for old and finished fics as the description says. :p The idea I had when I started the cleaning was to revamp the two directories so that those looking for a good read are able to browse what the WW has to offer now and what the WW's had to offer from the very beginning. However, I'm unsure if the effort for this revamp would be worth it at this time simply because I don't know how often the directories are used now or if anyone would be interested in such a revamp. Which gave me the next idea of...

A SURVEY WILL BE POSTED SOMETIME IN EARLY/MID FEBRUARY. The survey will be used to gauge what areas of the WW you all utilize the most, what parts of the WW you like/don't like, and what you'd like to see in the WW in the future. While I encourage everyone to come to the mod team at any time if they have ideas, this survey will be an anonymous and thorough way to help guide the mod team in the right direction as we dive into the new year. At the very least, we'll be planning events to host at various parts of the year, but we want your feedback on what else you'd like to see!

FINALLY, our updates for this week!

Chapter 10
of Hunter, Haunted by @canisaries
Chapter 43 of Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey by @Juliko
Chapter 6 of Star Performer by @Fulcrum
Chapter 4 of Sibling Rivalry by @Antoshi
Chapter 6 of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Chapter 90 of How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by @AceTrainer14
Week 364 of Live from the Fireside: Season 14 by @LightningTopaz
Chapters 5 and 6 of Project Toaster: Decolonized by @jasonwolf
Episodes 115 and 116a of Pokemon Moonlight Silver by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 9 of Iterations by @Athena

Until next time~

I have an idea that I wanted to get the all-clear on before trying to post.

Basically I want to make an "interview show", where a Trainer I create - either "Joseph" from my Avatar/signature, or somebody else - interviews a random other Trainer or character from the Pokémon universe. I got this idea from Lemmy's Land, a now-closed fan site for the Mario universe that focused on the Koopalings.

I plan on making two threads for this show in total - one which takes place in the timeline of the Games, and one which takes place in the Anime universe. I already have a list of characters I'm planning to write interviews for, and will post that as my teaser/table of contents on each, but I'd also be open to taking suggestions from readers.

This show would be suitable for all ages to read. Worst violence would be akin to what is in the series anyway (Trainer battles, bloodless violence towards Team Rocket, and the like). Several humorous slapstick moments would be in each interview as well, but nothing suggestive that would go beyond a PG rating if this show were real.

I also plan on following a script format, which I know is frowned on at a lot of fanfiction sites (but not Lemmy's Land) so that's another thing I wanted to get clarification on.

I have an idea that I wanted to get the all-clear on before trying to post.

Basically I want to make an "interview show", where a Trainer I create - either "Joseph" from my Avatar/signature, or somebody else - interviews a random other Trainer or character from the Pokémon universe. I got this idea from Lemmy's Land, a now-closed fan site for the Mario universe that focused on the Koopalings.

I plan on making two threads for this show in total - one which takes place in the timeline of the Games, and one which takes place in the Anime universe. I already have a list of characters I'm planning to write interviews for, and will post that as my teaser/table of contents on each, but I'd also be open to taking suggestions from readers.

This show would be suitable for all ages to read. Worst violence would be akin to what is in the series anyway (Trainer battles, bloodless violence towards Team Rocket, and the like). Several humorous slapstick moments would be in each interview as well, but nothing suggestive that would go beyond a PG rating if this show were real.

I also plan on following a script format, which I know is frowned on at a lot of fanfiction sites (but not Lemmy's Land) so that's another thing I wanted to get clarification on.

All of this sounds fine, sure! Any kind of writing goes here - scripts, nonfiction, essays, poetry, etc. And if you ever do go above PG rating, you can simply change the rating prefix of your thread and put a content warning in the first post. ^^ Thanks for asking!

188.gif

New week, new newsletter!

Two brand new non-Pokemon stories this week, as well as a returning author!
Echoes in the Dark a mournful Bambi one-shot by @Juliko!
A Dragon in Shining Armour, the beginning of what I'm sure will be an epic Digimon tale by @Griff4815!
@Life strikes back with Untitled!

And a bundle of updates as well!
Walking With Gods by @Twilight-Kun
Hunter, Haunted by @canisaries
Pokemon Moonlight Silver by @LightningTopaz
Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
How To Conquer Kanto In Eight Easy Steps by @AceTrainer14
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Azure Rescuers by @Gengarzilla
Derpshorts by @Derpghost
Iterations by @Athena

A couple great Written Word threads started this week as well. Let us know What You Wrote Today or participate in the discussion on Killing Characters!

The Winter Awards are very close to wrapping up. Our diligent judges are deciding on a list of winners that should be announced before too long.

Last edited:
Good morning/evening, writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the workshop!

The judging for the awards is completed, and we hope to share the results with you very soon. There was a lot of great work to read, so picking the winners was no easy task!

In addition, we have a new COMPLETE prefix for you to use to mark finished stories.

This week's new releases:

@TRNatalie - EVERYONE: Poison
@JFrombaugh - EVERYONE: The Paxton & Joseph Show (Games universe)
@JFrombaugh - EVERYONE: The Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime universe)
@Life - EVERYONE: Have you seen them smile?

This week's new updates:

@Antoshi - TEEN: Sibling Rivalry (1/23: Chapter 5)
@lucarioknight56 - TEEN: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant ('Chapter 08: Conciliation' Posted)
@LightningTopaz - EVERYONE: Pokemon Moonlight Silver (3 episodes left...)
@LightningTopaz - EVERYONE: Live from the Fireside, Season 14 (Week 365b: The Heart of the Princess, part 2)
@Misfit Angel - MATURE: Land of the Roses

That's all for this week--happy writing!

Another week, another newsletter!
4QlghQe.gif

Announcements
The Winter 2017 Awards have finally concluded in the past week! We've got a brand spankin' new Hall of Fame, complete with banners and writer cards to show off our victors and participants!

If your story was nominated for the awards, be on the lookout for incoming feedback! All stories will get at least two reviews from the judges that worked with them, and if you don't get them by February 14th, let myself, @diamondpearl876, @AetherX or @LightningTopaz know and we'll try to get it sorted out for you.

New Releases
Got three for you this week.

New Chapters
We've got some busy bees in this section! Let's sample some of that honey.

Alola. So Im going to try and finish putting my first story up. Of course it will involve the preview. That parts needed for a short little view on the Pokemon professor. And a way to give the names of the protagonist and rival trainer.

You know. The preview was simply to show off just a tiny start of my story.

tumblr_p3wa85LXkm1td9nt5o1_500.gif

Hi, writers! It's that time of the week again!

2018 WRITERS WORKSHOP SURVEY

I've been reading up on a lot of post-awards feedback from judges, and I think now's the time to open up the section-wide survey mentioned in another mini-newsletter a few weeks ago. Please take a few minutes to fill out all the answers as thoroughly as you can! Responses are completely anonymous, and the Writers Workshop mods will compile all the answers and use the feedback going forward. We're a small team of four volunteering our time to make this community as great as we can be, and we'd really like to know your guys' thoughts and what you want to see, too!

NEW RELEASES THIS WEEK

Restarting, a one-shot by @Ambyssin
PMD: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin
Jet Carter: Ace Trainer by @TurtleKing
guidance by @Athena

UPDATES THIS WEEK

Chapter 13 of Hunter, Haunted by @canisaries
Chapter 1 of Pokemon Peril by @Robert Ketchum
Interview 3 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Games) by @JFrombaugh
Interview 3 of the Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime) by @JFrombaugh
Week 365d of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 7 of Project Toaster: Decolonized by @jasonwolf

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Finale of Pokemon Moonlight Silver by @LightningTopaz
Finale of Sibling Rivalry by @Antoshi

Another week, another newsletter!
jfAhqPW.gif

Announcements
Just a reminder, we still have our section-wide survey going! Please take a few minutes to fill out all the answers as thoroughly as you can! Responses are completely anonymous, and the Writers Workshop mods will compile all the answers and use the feedback going forward.

New Releases
This week saw just one new release!

New Chapters
Many of our stories are continuing to update, let's have a look!

That's all! Until next week!

Last edited:
tumblr_nq6c09uT0W1sj7963o1_500.gif

Hey, all! So, we've been out of commission most of this week, but a fair amount of y'all jumped straight to the forums and updated, which tells me you were all hard at work during the downtime. ;)

The mods have been busy at work, too! We discussed and created a #writing channel on the Bulbagarden public Discord for all of you to use! Discord is great for quick feedback, talking in real time about the writing craft, hosting word wars with fellow authors, and more. I hope to see you all there. @Misfit Angel and I will be overseeing the channel there, so do let us know if you have any questions!

New releases

Less Is More, a Doki Doki Literature Club one-shot by @Juliko

New chapters
Chapter 18 of some rise by sin by @kintsugi
Vermilion City Part 2 of Kanto: There and Back Again by @Beth Pavell
Episode 2 of Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Week 365f of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
Interview 5 of The Paxton and Joseph Show (Games) by @JFrombaugh
Interview 5 of The Paxton and Joseph Show (Anime) by @JFrombaugh
Special Chapter 3 of PMD: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Chapter 3 of PMD: Guiding Light by @Ambyssin

And here I am just trying to get the finishing ends of the second episode of my story.

giphy.gif

Announcements
Good evening, good evening, good evening, and welcome back to the newsletter, posted in the English witching hour! We’ve been hard at work arguing over discussing ways to improve the Writer’s Workshop. We’re eager to hear your views – you can contribute by filling out this survey here. It won’t take long, and your answers will be anonymous. Anyway, on to this week's releases:

New Releases
Preparations by @diamondpearl876

New Chapters
Chapter 2 of A Dragon in Shining Armour by @Griff4815
Interview 6 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Games) by @JFrombaugh
Interview 6 of The Paxton & Joseph Show (Anime) by @JFrombaugh
Chapter 45 of Pokémon: A Marvelous Journey by @Juliko
Chapter 1 of guidance by @Athena
Episode 5 of Pokémon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 91 of How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by @AceTrainer14
Chapter 3 of Pokemon Rainbow Version by @Fairy Type Arceus
Chapter 14 of Hunter, Haunted by @canisaries
Chapter 10 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
Week 365g of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz

Word of the Week
I love words – you guys may have noticed. And so for our first Word of the Week it seems only right that it should be logophile:

logophile (n.): One who loves words; a word buff [Wiktionary].

Logophile is one of those ten-dollar words from the Greek, being composed of lógos (“Word” or “speech”), and phílos (“Dear” or “Beloved”). Stephen Fry is perhaps the most well-known word lover today – in his own words, “a celebrant at the altar of language”. Using unusual words in fiction is sometimes looked at with suspicion, which I think is a shame. Here’s to the logophiles!

Until next week, authors!

giphy.gif

Happy Monday Bulbawriters! My condolences to those of you recovering from daylight savings time. One hour of precious all-nighter writing time stolen from us forever. Rip in pepperoni. Last week was another busy one in the Workshop. As always, we're here for a helpful tl;dr.

Two authors return with new fics:
@Greninjaman brings us a Pokemon spin on a story you might have heard of before: Wizard of OZ (Pokemon Edition)
Ever introspective and philosophical @Ghostsoul is at it again with a Hetalia fanfic called Any World You Want

UPDATES:
Episode 2 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light ends with Chapter 4: The Guilded Age, then Episode 3 begins with Chapter 5: Pearls of Wisdom by @Ambyssin
The seventh interviews for The Paxton & Joseph Show bring us Dawn (Anime) and Cheryl (Games) by @JFrombaugh
Chapter 9: Light and Smoke, from The Worldslayers by @Sike Saner
Week 365h: The Heart of the Princess, from Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz
Episode 6b: Different Strokes for Different Blokes! (part 2), from Pokémon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 11: Xilo, from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant by @lucarioknight56
guidance makes a quick aside with "Production Roundtable #1: March 31" by @Athena
Chapter 28: The Things That Give Me Strength, from Land of the Roses by @Misfit Angel, her hair as radiant as ever

Other Stuff:
In case you hadn't noticed, The Written Word has been buzzing with activity lately, including the results of this cool survey Athena put together to figure out which Pokemon are the most common in fanfic. Go take a look and participate in any of the discussions that catch your fancy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom