• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceTrainer14

The acest of trainers
Reaction score
RobuDfL.png

For all first timers, the Writers Workshop is where all the writing on the forums is located. If you've written fiction, a poem, an essay, or any kind of creative piece of writing you want to share with everyone, then this is the place for you! This thread in particular is a guide to help get you started with useful links and an FAQ section along with our rules.

1HpTTeq.png

Please remember that all forum-wide rules apply in the Workshop as well, so ensure you read and follow them alongside these ones.

1) Mislabeled Threads
All threads containing sexual, violent, or other potentially inappropriate content must be labelled with the appropriate prefix of ‘TEEN’ or ‘MATURE’ and must state in the first post what that mature content is.
- The Rating Guide (under FAQ 7) clarifies what is and is not allowed in each category, including drug use, sex scenes, and violence.

2) Superfluous Thread
The first post of each thread of work must contain either part of the work in the form of a first chapter/entry or teaser or an index/table of contents.
- Users who post the index first should post the first chapter/entry within a reasonable time frame.
- Do not create new threads for separate chapters of the same story. Multiple pieces of short poetry, related short stories, and nonfiction works that are part of a series should also be contained in one thread.

3) Plagiarism
Do not post any content written by someone else or use fan-characters belonging to other users unless given explicit permission to do so.

4) Advertising
Users may link to work posted on other sites, but should include a preview (prologue/chapter length) in the thread. Full stories posted here tend to get more attention, however!
- Advertising your work in other users' threads (outside your signature) is not allowed. Bringing up your own work as part of a thoughtful discussion is not considered advertising.
- The Fic Advertisement Thread is the only thread where you may post simply to advertise your work.

If you have any questions, contact a moderator! If you believe someone has broken the rules, use the Report button under every post.

cUrldme.png

1) The Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread is there for all of your quick questions related to writing or Pokémon fanfiction!
2) The Plot Bunny Zoo is available if you need plot inspiration or feedback for a plot you thought of yourself.
3) The Samples Thread can be used to post a short excerpt of writing you'd like immediate feedback on.
4) The Need a Name Thread will help you name your characters, fictional places, stories, or anything needing a name!
5) The Writers Workshop General Chat Thread is where you can talk about anything and everything with our writers!
6) Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction is the main place where our authors discuss cliches and common tropes you see in Pokémon Fanfiction.
7) Review League is a Writers Workshop exclusive activity where you can earn points and prizes for each review you post!
8) The Writers Workshop hosts unofficial awards in the winter and summer. Check out category descriptions and our leaderboard here, and a more comprehensive display of our past winners here!
9) The Review Game is where you can review work written by the poster before you, and in return, you'll get a review yourself!
10) The Weekly Prompt Thread is updated every Monday with a prompt you can incorporate into your own writing!
11) The Workshop Writing Academy has many lessons for writers who are looking for tips on different aspects of writing, including but not limited to worldbuilding, description, and characters.
12) Fic of the Month is where we feature and interview one author a month to get a look into their writing process and get new tidbits of information about their work.
13) You may use our Workshop Directories to post information about your work so that it will be more easily noticeable by readers looking for recommendations! There is a directory for in-progress works and completed works.
14) The Fic Advertisement Thread is used by authors to announce they've just released a new work or a new chapter.
15) Our Twitter is where we post helpful writing resources and links and other miscellaneous things!
16) The Character Development Den has a lot of unique and fun questions to help you flesh out your characters more.
17) Bulbagarden's public Discord chat has a #writing channel for discussing the writing craft, sharing short excerpts of your writing to get feedback, offering and asking for fic recs, hosting word wars - all in real time!

UlGH6Fz.png

1) Can I post my work right away?
Yes! We welcome all new works, and they don't event have to be about Pokémon! We allow original pieces, other fandoms, poems, one-shots, essays, opinion pieces, scripts... any form of writing, really.

2) Can I still participate in the section even if I don't write?
Sure! You're welcome to comment on stories and join in discussions in the Written Word.

3) What is the Written Word, exactly?
The Written Word is where you can discuss all aspects of writing, ask for help with your writing, or to talk to other users about anything else in the General Chat Thread.

4) What's the Workshop Archive?
The Workshop Archive is where completed and abandoned works are stored, so have a read of some wicked awesome work from the past! You can use the COMPLETE prefix as a filter if you're specifically looking for one-shots, poems, and completed chaptered fics.

5) What if I want to roleplay?
Roleplaying isn't done here in the Workshop. There is a section for all your roleplaying needs right here.

6) Do I have to review?
No, reviewing is not required, but we do encourage it so that writers can get feedback, improve, or at least know someone is reading. You don't even have to write a lot. Just letting the author know you are reading can make a world of difference! For advice on reviewing, click here and here.

7) What do those prefixes mean?
The age rating of your work. All users must label their works with either the EVERYONE, TEEN, or the MATURE tag. For a detailed explanation, click on the spoiler tag.

EVERYONE
You can include:
- The occasional use of explicit language
- Romantic interactions (ie., kissing, flirting), regardless of sexual orientation, is allowed, as is suggested or implied sex (ie., waking up next to each other without clothes on, a character inviting another character into their room)
- Mild/cartoon-ish or occasional violence. Pokémon battles count as EVERYONE unless they are explicitly written to be dark and violent.
Examples include: the first three Harry Potter books/films, the Pokémon anime, Spongebob Squarepants, Doctor Who

TEEN
You can include:
- Frequent explicit language
- Infrequent scenes of intense, descriptive violence. It should be brief and avoid graphic description (ie., no gore) but can result in death or fatal injuries.
- Infrequent depictions of drug use/trips and alcoholism in a main character.
- Non-descriptive references to sex. We can know it’s happening, but detailed description beyond second base should be labelled MATURE.
Examples include: the last four/five Harry Potter books/films, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Marvel and DC comics and movies, Skyfall

MATURE
You can include:
- Stories focused on abuse (psychological or physical), sexual violence, rape, drug addiction, or alcoholism
- Graphic/Descriptive violence (ie., gore, maiming, grisly death) and sex (ie., mild description of actual third and four base acts) are allowed
- Sensitive topics such as rape and abuse should be treated with care and not used in an unnecessary or exploitative fashion. If you must write about such cases, you must be to the point and be able to justify your use of such topics.
Examples include: Fifty Shades of Grey, Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire, Veep or Silicon Valley, Homeland, Breaking Bad

Other notes:
- You do not have to change your rating if one chapter deviates from the rating: simply place a warning next to it in your table of contents (if you have one) as well as before the chapter title. However, if your story deviates from the rating for an extended period of time and you plan to continue like so, please change your rating tag accordingly.
- If there is something in your story that you're concerned about not listed in these guidelines or you are unsure, contact a moderator for advice.

Still confused? Here are some examples to base your classification on:
TEEN rating (excerpt taken from Poké Wars - Dawn of a New Era):

Meanwhile, Pikachu parried a Scratch attack from a Meowth with Iron Tail. A quick spin left the Meowth with two bloody stumps and a quick Thunderbolt reduced it to a charred carcass. He ducked under another Scratch attack and countered with Iron Tail. Ash backhanded a Meowth that leapt at him. The pokéglov protected him from injury and added power to his blow as he heard something inside the Meowth break.

Jessie screamed as a Meowth latched onto her leg and began scratching her, leaving bloody gashes on her leg. She dropped the shells that she had in her hand and tried to shake the Meowth off.

Meowth reacted instantly, tackling the offending Meowth and attacking with Fury Swipes. His razored claws tore through flesh and fur, spattering blood all over his coat and Jessie. Unfortunately, he had little experience in combat compared to these street-tough Meowth and he was quickly overpowered.

The victorious Meowth’s claws were wreathed in a purple glow as it prepared to deliver the finishing blow with Night Slash. Suddenly, the Meowth stiffened and toppled over onto the bloody pavement.

Meowth looked up at his savior. It was Dawn; one pistol was trained on the now dead Meowth. Almost nonchalantly, she put a bullet into the brain of another Meowth with the other pistol. She had no idea how to explain it, but it was like some force guided her hand, letting her fire her twin pistols like she had been practicing all her life and then some.

MATURE rating (excerpt taken from Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion):

Sirens wailed as the fire department raced to the ruined amusement park to control the raging conflagration. A nearby scream caused everyone to turn.

There, mere meters away from a screaming citizen was what could loosely be called a "body". Organs, bone and flesh were smeared over a substantial section of the concrete sidewalk. A nearby streetlight and newspaper box were painted with a fine misting of blood and particles of flesh. A piece of the decedent's brain had somehow ended up pasted against a STOP sign.

Cynthia pushed through the crowd to see what was going on and to try and keep the crowd calm – at least until the police arrived. Why haven't they arrived yet? She thought.

She immediately regretted the decision to approach the scene as the metallic stench of blood coupled with the malodor of fecal matter assaulted her nostrils with the fury of an enraged Primeape. The stench coupled with the horrific scene dropped her to her knees as she repeatedly dry-heaved.

Suddenly, another nearby explosion tore through the air. The Sinnoh champion grunted as her body was slammed into a concrete planter, knocking all the wind out of her. She got up to her feet and looked around; where there were several other refugees now only lay an assorted mess of body parts. Her heart sank as she saw a bubble lazily drifting towards two men who were chatting. The bubble held within it a roiling cloud of bluish gas.

Cynthia took a breath, wincing as it sent a shockwave of pain rippling through her bruised back. "Move!" she shouted.

The first man turned towards the shout, only to see a bubble of explosive gas mere feet away from him. Thinking quickly, he shoved his conversation partner away from the bubble and dove behind a concrete planter as the bubble detonated.

Cynthia was far away enough that the shockwave didn't seriously hurt her but it was still enough to wind her. As she looked up, she saw many more explosive bubbles floating above high above her – their graceful appearance a sharp contrast to their lethality.

8) I've already finished my story. Can I post it all in one go?
You can update your thread as regularly as you want, but we recommend waiting for a day or two between each chapter/installment. This gives your fellow users more time to read your story and share their thoughts.

9) Am I able to post information about my worldbuilding ideas and/or my worldbuilding atlas to the Written Word?
Definitely! There has been some confusion in the past about keeping anything worldbuilding-related to blogs only, but we welcome you to share your world by making a new thread for it in the Written Word and labeling it with the WORLDBUILDING prefix.

10) I'm still confused about a few things. Who can I talk to?
You can talk to the mods! We'll answer any questions.

11) Are you forgetting something?
Yep. Have fun!

4b2US49.png

No problem! Contact one of the moderators listed below.

Forum Moderators: @diamondpearl876, @LightningTopaz, @AetherX, @Misfit Angel, and @Beth Pavell

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 17/08/13 - please read before post

What rating should I give my story if someone gets beated up with an anchor. It would be without gorebor something like that. Just that the person who gets hit dies/is thrown away.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 17/08/13 - please read before post

What rating should I give my story if someone gets beated up with an anchor. It would be without gorebor something like that. Just that the person who gets hit dies/is thrown away.

It would depend on how graphic the scene is and how much focus is given to it, so either Everyone or Teen. It is really up to you to make the judgement call unless you send a mod the scene

It would depend on how graphic the scene is and how much focus is given to it, so either Everyone or Teen. It is really up to you to make the judgement call unless you send a mod the scene

OK, thanks.

I've got a small question about how to rate something. I'll use my recent story series idea as an example. What would you label this as:

* Mild use of swear words (i.e. "Damn you, Django! My dragon's wrath will make the fires of Hell seem tame!)
* Monsters (in this case, Yu-Gi-Oh! monsters) fighting and destroying each other in semi-violent but moderately described ways (i.e. Barrel Dragon got cleaved in two before exploding in a fury of smoke and blinding light)
* Brief flashes of non-descriptive nudity (i.e. After her shower, Tempest wrapped her beautiful body in a towel, and headed back to her room. On the way, she literally bumped into Django, causing her towel to drop out of surprise and toppled on top of him. When Django got over the initial surprise, he became flustered when he realized that Tempest was naked on top of him, causing him to blush feverishly. Tempest, on the other hand, was cycling between embarrassment and a sense of slight pleasure at the situation, unsure which was more powerful.)
* Mild death in flashbacks (i.e. Django grimly remembered the day of the horrible accident. The day that killed his parents, and left him barely alive, now donning a large scar on his back where his near-fatal injury was during the events of that horrid day.)

How would you rate that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

@LightningTopaz; Thank you for your response. I had a feeling it would be Teen, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Rules 2 and 5 have been updated. Please make sure you abide by these changes.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 11/11/13 - please read before post

What would this be rated I'm thinking M

Narrator Guy:
Hey Guys I'm the Narrator Guy and I'll be telling you a story I just made up, ok here we go. We start our story at a great man's *monument his name was Roland You may want me to tell you who Roland is but too bad I'm not telling you, so ha. Anyway at Roland's Monument is another guy his name is Axton.

*Axton:
I don't remember when it happened exactly but the thought of having a fantastic adventure to far off places grabbed my heart early in life and is yet to let go, you see my Hero is "Dragon Master Roland", outside my village there's a monument made in his honor, his adventures were the most fantastic of all, fighting evil risking death. Protecting the goddess Serah, it's all so exicting. One day I want to have adventures like that. *Axton*sighs**but excitement like that is a long way from home.

Maya:
oh Axton, Axton where are you? Axton couldn't you hear me I've been looking all around for you for the last half hour, but I should of known you'd be here.

Axton:
oh Maya, where else would I be?

Axton turns over to the monument and Maya reads the inscription from the stone slab:

Maya:
in honor of the great dragon master Roland. I know that Roland was probably the greatest of the four Heros Axton but I'm amazed that you never get tired of coming to see his dull monument. Well shoot I just remembered you better go see Gaige to practice singing, if where late she'll be upset. We better head back home Axton Gaige's patience with us will only stretch so far. We'd better not test the limit.

The two start to head back home when an earthquake hits a knocks the two onto the ground.

Maya:
Another earthquake...that's the third one this week! But, what could be causing them?

Salvador:
Hey Axton my amigo I figured you'd be here now that the warm weather has melted the ice near the dragons cave there isn't anytime to waste getting started on our big adventure, if we hurry we might be able to get in without waking the dragon, then we can get a diamond from it's lair worth thousands and thousands of gold, making us filthy stinking rich and very popular in the process.

Maya:
a dragons diamond huh?

Salvador:
you heard right, Maya! C'mon Axton! You always dreamt about going on a big adventure! let this be our first!

Axton remains silent as he thinks to himself is this a good idea does he really want to abandon the safety of his current life in favor of some good old adventuring? Salvador senses Axton's worries and tells Axton

Salvador: Well, while you're deciding, I'll stop by my house to grab some beer for the trip. C'ya!

Maya:
oh Axton, you know we have to do this! It could be the adventure of a lifetime! Once we get going, I just hope Salvador doesn't turn into a baby at the first sign of monsters! But, you know Gaige is going to be upset...she doesn't like you putting yourself in danger... How are you going to tell her, Axton?

The two head back home and when they get there they are greeted by Axton's mom.

Axtons mom:
oh Axton you're back so soon. Gaige went to the springs on the outskirts of town. Aren't you two going to practice your song for the Goddess Festival?

Maya:
we'd better hurry, Axton! You know Gaige always sings off-key when she's angry!

The two start heading over to the springs near the outside of town.

Maya:
Do you hear that, Axton? It sounds like singing! Gaige must already be waiting for us at the springs! I bet she'll be singing a different tune when you show up this late...AGAIN!

Axton and Maya soon get themselves to the springs they hear the birds singing and water rushing, and of course Gaige was singing.

Maya:
that's Gaige all right! I bet you're in for it now, Axton! She hates when you're late!

Axton hears Gaige singing a song consisting only of la's in a catchy rhythm. Axton recognized right away it was the song Gaige and Axton were practicing for the Goddess Festival, although Axton couldn't sing, he could play the ocarina quite well and played along to Gaige's singing, Gaige didn't even look over she knew the only one who could be playing that *song was Axton she laughed and said to Axton

Gaige:
Axton you're late again silly, were you spending your morning at Rolands monument again, or were you planning on make believe adventures with Salvador again?

Maya:
Hey! You're good! He was at Roland's Monument planning an adventure with Salvador! You were right on both counts I can't wait to see the inside of the white dragon cave! ...Um...right...A...Axton?!

Gaige:
The white dragon cave Axton?

Gaige starts to look at Axton with an angry look, her eyes gaze at Axton like daggers.

Gaige:
I knew something was wrong with you today and I always know when you're keeping secrets from me! Axton why would you travel to such a dangerous place?!

Suddenly a loud roar echoes through the air sending most animals into hiding.

Maya:
what was that?

Gaige:
Sounds like a roar but I've never heard a creature like that before!

Maya:
you know I bet it was the voice of the white dragon! What Salvador said was true...

Axton starts heading over to the white dragon cave but is soon interrupted by Gaige who asks

Gaige:
Axton where are you going?

Maya:
We're going to explore the white dragon cave along with Salvador! That was the adventure Axton and Salvador were talking about at Rolands Monument!

Gaige looked at Axton with rage in her eyes and said to Axton

Gaige:
Didn't you hear me, Axton? You could be hurt... Or worse! And what about your poor parents? They'll be beside themselves with worry.

Gaige thinks to herself I've never been able to stop him before, once he gets an idea into that stubborn little head of his it never comes out... Ever. She finally tells Axton:

Gaige:
I've never been able to stop you from doing what you wanted to do, Axton... And I know your dream is to embark on great adventures, just like Roland. So, I suppose all I can do is come along and keep you out of trouble! Perhaps this will even be fun! And to think that you were going to leave without me!

Axton begins to panic he never intended to lead Gaige into harms way just because he wanted to follow his own dream of being a dragon master, Axton thinks to him self man now I feel like such an ass for this, but now I really have no choice but to bring her along.

Gaige:
what are you waiting for? let's get going!

Maya looks over and sees Axton trying to say no to Gaige and whispers:

Maya:
Axton, why do you even TRY saying "no" to Gaige? the girl plays you like an ocarina... So what are are we waiting for? Let's begin our great adventure!

Gaige:
Just one moment, Maya. I know you're exicted and anxious to start the adventure... But we really need to tell Axtons parents where we're going. We can't let them worry about us. Besides, we might be able to find some things around the house to help us on the trip!

Maya:
You know, I like how you think... This is going to be great, Axton!

So the brave group of intrepid explorers head back to Axton's house to grap anything that isn't bolted down like any good RPG hero anything that isn't nailed down is fair game it might be some kids college fund but who gives a shit you're saving the world the kid might grow up stupid, but at least he won't grow up in a world ruled by an evil dictatorship.

Axton's farther:
What? You want to travel to the "White Dragon Cave" by yourselves? ... ... ... It's your time, isn't it? Of course you can go, Axton. Take this with you.

Axton's Farther hands Axton a dagger and thinks to himself finally that good for nothing son of mine is finally leaving home. Now I now longer have to feed or cloth him this is great. And the best part is with him gone I don't need to pretend to love anymore. I had to deal with him for 21 long ass years but he's finally gone.

Axton's Farther: here take this dagger and get the fuck out of my house and never return. ... Erm I mean have fun on your adventure son ... Ya that's what I meant. Oh ya take your shit out of the basement and go. ... Erm I mean take your stuff out of the basement you might need it!

Axton, Gaige and Maya, work the way outside the small village and on the way meet Salvador at the front gate. Salvador: Sorry to keep you waiting! Everything's all set... Let's get going, Axton! What!? Gaige is coming with us? Well, are you sure she's only a teenage girl! She'll just slow us down and complain about things, and talk about boys! It will be awful. Gaige: up yours Salvador! I'm a great addition to your little adventure. besides I want to see the white dragon too! Please don't leave me out of this Axton!

Salvador:*
If it's fine with Axton it's fine with me...

Salvador says while shaking his head no to Axton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 11/11/13 - please read before post

@MechromancerFTW: If you want us to review a chapter, it is better to message us with it rather than post it. And there is nothing in that chapter that seems particularly Mature to me, but if the story is going to be Mature later on then label it as that

ive got a question, I want to do a pokemon version of the night before Christmas that will be written by me and anyone else who stumbles upon it, as in if they find it they can post the next part of the story, would that belong here or would that be in the roleplay and collaborative storys thread, or since its Christmas themed would it belong in the christmas themed one that showed up.

ive got a question, I want to do a pokemon version of the night before Christmas that will be written by me and anyone else who stumbles upon it, as in if they find it they can post the next part of the story, would that belong here or would that be in the roleplay and collaborative storys thread, or since its Christmas themed would it belong in the christmas themed one that showed up.

That sounds definitely more like a roleplay than what we have here, so double check with @Flaze or one of the other moderators :)

That sounds definitely more like a roleplay than what we have here, so double check with @Flaze or one of the other moderators :)

ok, thank you

Hello! So it says here that the prologue should be around 1000 words but the prologue of my story is around 500 words. So should I post the prologue and the first chapter together? Or is it okay to post them separately?:dumb:

Hello! So it says here that the prologue should be around 1000 words but the prologue of my story is around 500 words. So should I post the prologue and the first chapter together? Or is it okay to post them separately?:dumb:

I would post the two together but make it clear that the first bit is your prologue for readers to see. I hope that helps.

I would post the two together but make it clear that the first bit is your prologue for readers to see. I hope that helps.

Hai, will do that, thank you!

Hai, will do that, thank you!

Actually, the purpose of this rule is to encourage users to increase the quality of their work from the start, as we have found that stories that fall below the one page/1000 word rule generally arent of that high of a standard. If your prologue absolutely cannot reach one page or 1000 words, then it would be better to find a way of working it into your first chapter. If you would like help with this, I would gladly give what you have a look over first.

Actually, the purpose of this rule is to encourage users to increase the quality of their work from the start, as we have found that stories that fall below the one page/1000 word rule generally arent of that high of a standard. If your prologue absolutely cannot reach one page or 1000 words, then it would be better to find a way of working it into your first chapter. If you would like help with this, I would gladly give what you have a look over first.

I figured that that was the purpose of the rule. The thing is that only the prologue of the story is super short, other chapters easily have 2k+ words. I have already posted the story but it would be awesome if you could go through it and let me know if I did anything wrong. :phew:

Hello, I was just informed that I broke a new rule about the character minimum to 1000 in first chapters/prologues, which was placed after I posted my first chapter a month before.

So, what am I supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom