• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: [OLD] The Writers' Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mswk4lY7zR1rjenv2o1_500.gif

New Chapters
Three new chapters of Chaos Rising: Age of Heroes (Season 4), by @CynthiaLover
Three chapters of The Journey of the Golden Delphox, by @LightningTopaz
A new chapter of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Chapter 116 - Call of the Void of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation, by @namohysip
Episode 3: Magnet Bomb of Pokémon: Heroes and Villains, by @more than a torchic
Home - Wallace of But How Will It Be: A Drabble Collection, by @more than a torchic

Review Game
OrionTheAbsol would like a review for the first 3-4 chapters of Stray

Remember, all reviews done as part of the Review Game are worth an extra +6 points in the Review League!

Word of the Week

ilk (n.): a type of person or thing similar to one already referred to. [Oxford English Dictionary]

(adj.): very; same. [Wiktionary]

Ilk is most commonly used in the phrase ‘of that ilk’ - of that kind or category. However, ilk derives from the Old English ilca, meaning ‘the same’. Ilk is used in the ballad of Thomas the Rhymer in the sense of ‘every’: At ilka tett of her horse’s mane/Hung fifty siller bells and nine.

giphy.gif

New Releases
Final Fantasy - The Cursed Island by @Greninjaman

New Chapters
Chapter Forty - Flood and Flame of The Long Walk, by @Beth Pavell
Chapter 11 - The Meeting of Stray, by @OrionTheAbsol
Two new chapters of The Journey of the Golden Delphox, by @LightningTopaz
Interlude: wiltedlilacx, of Black Heart, Bright Soul, by @Misfit Angel

Review Game
more than a torchic would like a review for the first two chapters of Pokémon: Heroes and Villains

Remember, all reviews done as part of the Review Game are worth an extra +6 points in the Review League!

Word of the Week

splendiferous (adj.): splendid. [Oxford English Dictionary]

It’s not often that English is irreverent as far as Latin is concerned, but splendiferous, a 19th-century coinage, is a rare and refreshing exception. Formed, appropriately enough, from the Latin splendor (‘renown’ or ‘fame’), it remains absurdly pompous foofaraw.

Could I possibly have someone review Chapter 1 of my story?
You can request reviews through either the Review League (if you earn enough points) or the Review Game (if you review the previous request and post a link to your review). Check out the rules for each thread.

Last edited:
UnfortunateSphericalBarnswallow-size_restricted.gif

This is fine​

New Releases
Tail of Time, by @AbraPunk
  • After receiving a prophetic vision in the form of a dream, a young Shinx ventures out to the heart of the forest. There, she is brought into a secret group called the Generation Guardians. Now, working alongside an Abra and a Lurantis, she must figure out how to find her place in this world, handle her new responsibilities... and maybe take out a villain or two along the way.
New Chapters
Siblings - Steven from But How Will It Be: A Drabble Collection, by @more than a torchic
Chapter 74: Into The Darkness of Pokémon: A Marvelous Journey, by @Juliko
May of Ordeals (sixth part), of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Two new chapters of The Journey of the Golden Delphox, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 17 of Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Fifth Path, by @BackSet

Word of the Week

fletiferous (adj.): producing tears. [Wiktionary]

A lot of Latin-derived words, particularly those consciously coined, can be decoded with a little vague knowledge of Latin roots. Fletiferous is one that might confound the nerdiest among us at first glance. Once you know about the Latin fletum (‘to weep), the meaning opens up, you might say, splendiferously.

pikachu-pokemon.gif

Yeah, yeah, Pikachu, I know it's been a while. Here's the October round up​

New Releases
Mutiny on the Blargg, by @Ihsan997
Pound, by @AnimeJewel246
https://forums.bulbagarden.net/inde...]I Love You; I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do[/I], by @more than a torchic
Pokémon: The Stage of Dreams, by @LightningTopaz
Artistic Vision, by @creativelover93
  • Artistic Vision is about three trainers go on thier journey to create thier art portfolio, while dealing with thier pasts. Along the way, they'll learn about moving on from thier past and prepare for the future, becoming mature, responsible, and independent pokemon trainers.
Random stuff I wrote, by @RavenRaziel98
Power & Light, by @DulceDeLeche Vanilla Cake
The Trails of Mysteria, by @AnimeJewel246

New Chapters
Six new chapters of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Six new drabbles from But How Will It Be: A Drabble Collection, by @more than a torchic
Six new chapters of Chaos Rising: Legacy of Heroes (Season 5), by @CynthiaLover
Two new chapters of Black Heart, Bright Soul, by @Misfit Angel
Chapter 12 - Emerald Valley of Stray, by @OrionTheAbsol
Two new chapters of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation, by @namohysip
Six new chapters of The Journey of the Golden Delphox, by @LightningTopaz
Two new chapters of the envy of eden, by @kintsugi
Another chapter of Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Fifth Path, by @BackSet
Chapter 4 - Damages of Unknown: The Escape, by @AnimeJewel246

ea210ef53782ebb4fe30859f0c3151e4.gif
YOU lot don't have to drive to work in it​

Now here's a rare announcement! This week, after many years of writing, @Juliko has finally finished magisterial Pokémon: A Marvelous Journey - a journeyfic, no less, and therefore all the rarer for finishing.

New Releases
A Night in Kanto, by @more than a torchic
  • Sabrina wasn’t used to being close to others. She had spent most of her life alone or with her Psychic type Pokémon. When she started dating Erika, however, she began to open up more. She began to trust others more. Because of this, she began to work on the intrusive thoughts that told her she was an unlovable monster.

It was… strange, in a miraculous sort of way.
Team Rocket's Revenge, by @Jared DiCarlo
You Wouldn't Steal a Car (But Volkner Would), by @more than a torchic

Luceat Lux Vestra. by @silurica
  • Luca is a traveling painter and student of folklore on a sightseeing trip in Sinnoh. After playing a mysterious flute at the Spear Pillar, they attracted the attention of a man in white who claimed to be Arceus, the creator of the universe. Moreover, the strange man said the young painter shall accompany him to find the seventeen elemental plates in order to restore his power!
Link and the Fate of the Deku Tree, by @Greninjaman
The Twins, by @more than a torchic
in the echo of the ocean/in the hunting of the wind, by @more than a torchic
Hell Eternal, by @more than a torchic
A Night in Kanto, by @more than a torchic
Alternate Title (Alternate Champion, by @more than a torchic

New Chapters
Six new entries from But How Will It Be: A Drabble Collection, by @more than a torchic
May of Ordinance (fourth part), and three other chapters of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Three new chapters of Chaos Rising: Legacy of Heroes (season 5), by @CynthiaLover
Two new chapters of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation[/url], by @namohysip
Chapter 4: If You Think We're Talking About You, We Are, of Understanding an Inferno, by @Jersey Jimmy
More random stuff RavenRaziel98 wrote
Two new chapters of Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Fifth Path, by @BackSet
Two new chapters of Pokémon: The Stage of Dreams, by @LightningTopaz
Episode 4: Flame Wheel of Pokémon: Heroes and Villains[/url], by @more than a torchic

Word of the Week

saft (adj.): daft, foolish, silly

Saft, as it turns out, has rather more senses than might be immediately expected, but the sense that concerns us here is as a general synonym for ‘daft’, ‘silly’, ‘foolish’, etc. Once a more common Black Country dialect word, saft has been on the decline, possibly because its use is so very distinctively Black Country.

it has been.gif

Hello, writers of the workshop.​

Yours truly has finished a fic—But How Will It Be: A Drabble Collection.

@LightningTopaz is currently reworking Magic of the Stars, and I'm currently reworking Pokémon: Heroes and Villains.

New releases

The Shimmering Companion (vignettes, sidestories, and extras to the main theater-verse) by @LightningTopaz
In addition to the plays that the gang performs as part of the main theatrical fantasy (a rebooted collection itself), this collection will explore what goes on offstage, on the group's days off, what goes on in rehearsals, and even full plays--including some not seen in the main theatrical fantasy.

krookodile tears by @kintsugi
“When the world was younger than you are now, a great tragedy befell the desert, and the krookodile wept. Listen and learn, child, from the Two who warred for the Dragonmother’s heart.” // It’s easier to excuse when it could never happen to you.

You were only waiting for this moment to be free by @Torchic W. Pip
None of this is my fault. It’s okay to cut toxic family out of my life. I will grow stronger.
Winona goes through some messy family drama. Wallace is there to help.

風雨 (Wind and Rain) (Oneshot) by @Torchic W. Pip
I had the urge to write about Wallace and Winona's kid in a fluffy, non angsty sort of way.

Pokémon Origins: File 5... Reina by @JediMaster362
A KaraKaraShipping (Red x Reina) fic

Saviors (A short story) [Pokemon not present] by @Neyo

Pokémon: The First Sparkling Stage by @LightningTopaz
To celebrate Pokemon Legends: Arceus coming out, Topaz has decided to reboot their ancient theatrical fantasy to show more of the Kagayou Theater's rise to fame before embarking on tours.

Revolution 9 by @Torchic W. Pip
A series of drabbles and oneshots centered on the Colosseum Leaders/Masters.

Niente [one-shot] by @silurica
When the dragon came to, there was only coldness. The coldness of ice, and nothingness.

The First Golett (one-shot) by @kyeugh
The humans had begun acting differently once they’d started laying those stones and building that large wall of theirs, so Shah had urged Melichi to be careful. Melichi was not careful, of course. Shah was to rescue him from their strange fortress tonight.

I'm A Marionette by @Torchic W. Pip
"Are you okay?"
In which Wallace isn't okay, but he gets better. Eventually.
Alternate summary: college/YA Wallace tries to hide the fact that he's a mess.

Pokémon Magic Act & Everlight Stories by @Daren
In a world humans long ago vanished from, the world’s first large-scale Pokémon government was formed—the Caerma Republic, now controlling nearly half of the continent of Occeris. Built on the memories and myths of the past, the Republic has brought a level of peace and stability to the territories that have joined it, but of course the world is still not a place of perfect content and peace.

Hitmontop Saves The Day by @The Walrein
What's the strongest martial arts style? Is it boxing? Grappling? Or standing on your head and spinning around with your legs and arms outstretched? When a fighting-type dojo gets invaded by psychics, a Hitmontop is forced to prove the worth of his unusual skills.

[Mystery Dungeon] The Demon's Legend by @Silvers
Three years have passed since Darkrai's plan - to plunge the World into Darkness and Chaos - has been foiled by Max (a Treecko) and Jimmy (a Chimchar) and their allies. In these three years a ferocious Aligatr named Ironhard joined the team. Things could go well for the Trio, which has reached legendary status among explorers, but soon they need to face a great challenge: Preventing the return of a demon from ancient time - Kyurem. During their Queste they will face many trials, which will test not only body, but the mind too.

Salvation (Conquest AU) by @joshthewriter
A fantasy epic based on Pokémon Conquest.

Pokémon: Journey by @joshthewriter
Kanto’s corruption runs deep. Plagued by criminal conspiracy and dangerous wild pokemon, the region is struggling under its own weight. Unrest bubbles under the surface while shadowy figures pull the strings of society.

A young trainer, just the son of a farmer, departs on his journey. Join him, and watch as a humble young man becomes hopelessly entangled in a war against corruption as it spills into the open.

Insurgency by @AnimeJewel246
I debated back and forth in my mind before deciding to take the risk. I watched the three Starters begin to walk up the cliff on a long slope, before taking a deep breath and going for the plunge. I walked forward and began following them from a distance.

I would stay until I found that stupid Poke Ball. Then I would destroy it, then leave this place for good.

There was no way in hell I would ever let that professor give me to some random dumb human.

No way in hell.

Dragonspiral's Children (redux) by @Spiteful Murkrow
A story of camaraderie with a family and growing up with them across the years, with a perspective twist.

The Adventures of Captain Miracle - Book One: First Flight by @Dorothy
In this world, superheroes are real, and the question of what to do with teenagers who have superpowers is a pressing one. The Hero Brigade, America's premier superhero team, have taken it upon themselves to establish the Kirby Beck Shuster Academy for Extraordinary Young People, a place where "gifted youngsters" can safely master their special abilities. This is the story of Gabriel Cruz, a homeless orphan whose life is changed forever after a chance encounter with a superhero in the streets of Philadelphia.

It's a "Villain Take Care of Hero" Sickfic by @Torchic W. Pip
In which Archie takes care of Wallace.

Finding Mahoun [Oneshot] by @Cresselia92
The life of a wild Pokémon is harsh and full of hardships.
The life of a runt of a family of rats and with an impossible dream is much harsher.
This is the story of that runt.

New Chapters

Second part of In the echo of the ocean/In the hunting of the wind by @Torchic W. Pip

The four kings of EMI are sitting stately on the floor of Alternate Title by @Torchic W. Pip

Chapter Five of Different Eyes by @unrepentantAuthor

Chapter 11 - Special Episode I of Do Psychic Type Pokémon Dream of Electric Sheep by @SparklingEspeon

New chapter of Artistic Vision by @creativelover93

Six new chapters of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation by @namohysip

Two new chapters of The Long Walk by @Beth Pavell

New Chapter of The Erthe Beyonde by @Beth Pavell

New chapter of Understanding an Inferno by @Jersey Jimmy

New chapter of Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Fifth Path by @BackSet

Two new chapters of Fifth Path Supports by @BackSet

Chapter 13 - Destitute of Stray by @OrionTheAbsol

Twelve new chapters of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guardians of Balance by @StolenMadWolf

Chapter 9 - Are You Actually In Control? Of White Swan, Black Swan by @Sinderella

Two new chapters of How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by @AceTrainer14

New chapter: Biotic Factors of Temtemology by @Nitro Indigo

Seven new chapters of Luceat Lux Vestra by @silurica

Eleven new chapters of Nori Carino: Official in Training by @System Error

Four new chapters of Link and the Fate of the Deku Tree by @Greninjaman

Fifteen new chapters of Chaos Rising: Legacy of Heroes by @CynthiaLover

Two new chapters of Lone Star Shine Down by @Dorothy

Review Game

@Dorothy would like a review of Lone Star Shine Down, either the whole thing or just chapter 4!

Word of the Week

inferno (noun): a place or a state that resembles or suggests hell; an intense fire

A word borrowed from the Italian “inferno”, which itself comes from the Latin “infernus” (“of the lower regions”), which itself comes from the Proto-Italic “enðeros” (“low”). You might know this word from one of the most famous fanfictions ever written: Dante’s Inferno, the first part of Dante Alighieri’s epic Divine Comedy.

Last edited:
tumblr_noza4xTST01u8rt2vo1_400.gifv

Look, Pikachu, IRL is why you haven't got a Word of the Week​

Announcements and Events
As has been obvious, the Review League has been on de facto hiatus for a long time now. For the time being, we'll be pausing the League while we look at potential improvements. At the very least, this will mean a new list of contributors to fulfil prizes. Anyone interested in becoming a contributor should PM one of the Workshop mods!

New Releases
Dawn of Courage, by @CynthiaLover

Completed Stories
Chaos Rising: Legacy of Heroes, by @CynthiaLover

New Chapters
A new chapter of The Shimmering Companion, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 14 of I’m A Marionette, by @Torchic W. Pip
Month 7: July of Death (fifth part) of Nori Carino: Official in Training, by @System Error
Chapter Four of Pokémon Magic Act & Everlight Stories, by @Daren
Another entry for Random stuff I wrote
Part 2: Hitting the Books, of Dragonspiral's Children (redux), by @Spiteful Murkrow
Chapter 18: A Crowned Meeting of Luceat Lux Vestra, by @silurica
Chapter 5: Pecking Order, of Lone Star Shine Down, by @Dorothy

Review Game

@Dorothy would like a review of Lone Star Shine Down, either the whole thing or just chapter 4!

Last edited:
ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif

Hello, beautiful people :bulbaLove:
New Fics

I think I accidentally wrote a psychological horror… by @Neyo

Sleepless Domain One-Shots by @Lone_Garurumon
Hey everyone, so I'm in a Discord server for the webcomic Sleepless Domain, about an isolated city plagued by monsters at night, and defended by a legion of magical girls (the comic itself can be found at this link if you're interested, for context for the stories I'll be posting here). And part of that Discord is a regular series of writing games from the users, based on various prompts from the hosts. And I'm actually really proud of most of these, so I'm gonna be posting them to the workshop as well. I'll space the updates out a bit, so they don't flood in all at once, and then I'll just update every now and then as we do more games. Posts with stories in them will be threadmarked for easy browsing.

New Updates

Five new chapters of Dawn of Courage by @CynthiaLover

Episode 4 of Pokémon: The First Sparkling Stage by @LightningTopaz

New chapter of The Simmering Companion by @LightningTopaz

New chapter of Nori Carino: Official In Training by @System Error

New chapter of Lone Star Shine Down by @Dorothy

More random stuff @RavenRaziel98 wrote

Chapter 15 of I’m A Marionette by @Torchic W. Pip

Review Game

@Dorothy would like a review of the first five chapters of Lone Star Shine Down

Word of the Week

embargo (noun): a legal prohibition on commerce, a prohibition (Merriam Webster)

You might know this word from the Dark type move that prevents a Pokémon from using items. The word comes from the Spanish embargar, which means "to seize, to overwhelm". Embargar comes from the Latin in- (prefix meaning "non, not") and barra ("barrier"). (Wiktionary)

tumblr_m7s9b7I4Ls1rov2rn.gif

New Releases
Dededestiny, by @Chevywolf30

New Chapters
Interlude: Six Friends Become the Six Spirits of Pokémon: The First Sparkling Stage, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 7: Into the Unknown of Lone Star Shine Down, by @Dorothy
Another instalment of Shadows Over Hoenn, by @Lone_Garurumon
Two new chapters of Dawn of Courage, by @CynthiaLover
Another random stuff from Random stuff I wrote, by @RavenRaziel98
Episode 7: Discussion of the Three Guardians, of The Shimmering Companion, by @LightningTopaz
Special Episode 9: Wishmaker of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation, by @namohysip

Review Game

Word of the Week

adenoidal (adj.): 1. of or pertaining to the adenoids.
2. sounding as if the speaker has swollen adenoids. [Wiktionary]

Adenoidal, synonymous with nasal - that particular kind of annoying, high-pitched drone that tends to be found in born complainers who have no right to be (Including, but not limited to, stand-up comics trotting out hackneyed quips).

Pokemon-Gifs-pokemon-36838392-500-375.gif

There's a motivational poster in that​

New Releases
Old Friends, by @oddkid

New Chapters
Episode 6a: Six Spirits Take the Stage (part 1) of Pokémon: The First Sparkling Stage, by @LightningTopaz
August of Respite (first part) of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Chapter 4: Team Rocket's Rockin'! of Team Rocket's Revenge, by @Jared DiCarlo
Four new chapters of Dawn of Courage, by @CynthiaLover
Part 4: No Year Has Two Summers of Dragonspiral's Children (redux), by @Spiteful Murkrow
The Monster Manual from Sleepless Domain One-Shots, by @Lone_Garurumon
Chapter XVIII - AWAKENING THE GIANT of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guardians of Balance, by @StolenMadWolf
Episode 8: Spreading the Word About the Six Harmonies of The Shimmering Companion, by @LightningTopaz
More Random stuff I wrote, by @RavenRaziel98

Review Game

Word of the Week

invious (adj.): 1. untrodden.
2. impassable. [Wiktionary]

Invious speaks to a habit of long-gone poets to assemble neologisms out of bits and pieces of Latin - in this case, from the prefix in ('un' or 'not') and via ('way' or 'road'). In-via: not a road. Invious: the quality of not being a road. Not being a road thus becomes in the figurative sense somewhere that cannot be travelled, impassable. Or, as in the first sense, somewhere where unexplored, where no-one has built a road yet.

ducklett-pokemon (1).gif

Hello, fellow Quacksters​

New Releases
Chasing May by @VoltTackle
After the Wallace Cup, Ash isn't his usual optimistic self. A certain brunette is now missing from his life. Can Dawn and Zoey bring Ash back? And what of the missing brunette? How can May handle the rest of her Johto Contests without Ash?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Discoveries by @Sushi The Enby
Miyoko, a young Budew, wakes up in an unfamiliar place and meets up with an Alolan Vulpix named Yuki and a Roggenrola called Hiban. The three create a Rescue Team together, but Miyoko has been getting strange dreams of an unknown figure…)

¡Patito! By @Torchic W. Pip
Sometimes a family is a mom, a dad, a baba, and their Quaxly son.

Assassin AK: The Ultimate Betrayal by @System Error
The hawks of justice, an organization that rids society of scum that others will not. Among them is a man known as the legendary assassin, a man who had innumerable individuals turn on him. When an up and coming assassin is given an opportunity to eliminate a kingpin of Kanto's underworld who eluded hawk and police alike for decades, he insists on joining her. To take revenge!

New chapters
New chapter of Team Rocket’s Revenge by @Jared DeCarlo
Three new chapters of Dawn of Courage by @CynthiaLover
New chapter of White Swan, Black Swan by @Sinderella
New chapter of The Shimmering Companion by @LightningTopaz
New chapter of Lone Star, Shine Down by @Dorothy

Review Game
@Dorothy would like a review of the first five chapters of Lone Star Shine Down.

Word of the Week
tempestuous (adj.)
of, related to, or resembling a tempest [Merriam Webster]

An adjective that can be literal or metaphorical (the latter especially when referring to emotions). From the Latin tempestas ("time, weather, storm") and the suffix -osus (added to a noun to form an adjective, indicating an abundance of that noun). [Wiktionary]

giphy.gif

I have a reason​

New Releases
Vivian's Promise, by @VivianTuff
What If ... BackSet Wrote a Zelda Crack Fic?, by @BackSet

New Chapters
Episode 6b: Six Spirits Take the Stage (part 2) of Pokémon: The First Sparkling Stage, by @LightningTopaz
Five new chapters of Dawn of Courage, by @CynthiaLover
Chapter 6: The New What Next of Understanding an Inferno, by @Jersey Jimmy
August of Respite (second part) of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Episode 10: Let's Go to the Theater of Dreams! (part 1) of The Shimmering Companion, by @LightningTopaz

Review Game
@Dorothy would like a review of the first five chapters of Lone Star Shine Down.

Word of the Week

memory (n.): 1 the faculty by which the mind stores and remembers information.
2. something remembered from the past. [Oxford English Dictionary]
3. a term of venery for a group of elephants, normally called a herd. [Wiktionary]

Memory - an ancient term. Memory is both more and less than record. More, because a memory is not just history, but layered associations, feelings, connotations. Less, because memory will not remain static, but changes, so often without our realising it. The Old English for memory was ġemynd, but memory goes all the way back to Proto-Indo-European, with cognates in Greek, Latin, and indeed the Old English mimor.

Last edited:
pokemon-team-rocket.gif

Well ... nemeses of a sort.​

New Releases
Any Day Now, by @CiCi
  • "Any Day Now" has been T.D.'s motto ever since he could remember. But when existential dread creeps up on him, he tries to find his purpose in life.
Paradigm Shift: Doctor's Orders, by @Extension_Driver

New Chapters
Two new chapters of Dawn of Courage, by @CynthiaLover
Chapter 9: First Steps to the Summit, of Lone Star Shine Down, by @Dorothy
August of Respite (third part), of Nori Carino: Official In-Training, by @System Error
Random stuff Raziel wrote
Episode 12: The Noble Raikou Teaches His Cub, of The Shimmering Companion, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter XX - Dark Truth, of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guardians of Balance, by @StolenMadWolf

Review Game

Word of the Week

nemesis (n.): 1. the inescapable agent of someone or something's downfall.
2. downfall caused by an inescapable agent.
3. retributive justice. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Nemesis, in this case, derives directly from Nemesis (νέμεσις), the ancient Greek goddess tasked with punishing those who displayed hubris. It is perhaps revealing that in this context hubris more or less meant offending the gods. It is also revealing that Nemesis comes from némein (νέμειν), 'to give what is due'. In a more general sense, a nemesis is an enemy, and a particularly implacable, hated enemy at that. Nemeses as villains therefore are rarely agents of retribution, let alone justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom