• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: [OLD] The Writers' Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Hello, Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the Workshop!

Announcements and Teasers
Nothing happening this week!

New releases
@ArrowheadLock has started a new story, PMD: The Wardens Eternal!
@canisaries has started a PMD-themed "few-shot", Dragony!

New chapters
A new entry (Wingull) of The Alola Pokedex by @Persephone EVERYONE: - The Alola Pokedex
Week 385 of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 15 (Week 385: Hikari and Epona)
Episode 50a of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Chapter 38 of Land of the Roses by @Misfit Angel TEEN: - Land of the Roses
Andrea #2 of Night with the Stars by @Misfit Angel TEEN: - Night with the Stars [Land of the Roses spinoff]
Chapter 32 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Chapter 15 of PMD: Pathways of Aspiration by @p-bugle TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration

Completed stories!
None this week!

Review Game
Patrick Haines is still up for a review. The following has been requested, and remember, you only have to review one to participate!
OR
  • A more in depth review of the first three chapters of The Legend of Ampharos

Remember, reviews done as part of the Review Game are worth an extra +2 points in the Review League!

Word of the Week
mellisonant (adj.): sweet-sounding. [Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable]

Sometimes, they would sit and listen to the mellisonant singing of the blackbirds.

Some words almost sound like the concepts they describe – to my ear, mellisonant is one of those words. The etymology of the word has been tricky to hunt down. It partly comes from the Latin sonare (To sound). I wonder if it is at all related to mellifluous, where mel is Latin for ‘honey’. Whether this speculation is apt or not, mellisonant has a poetry of its own, which is reason enough to give it vocabulary space.

Another week, another newsletter!
teommkv.gif

Announcements
Nothing new to announce this week... but be on the look out! We might be welcoming a new member or two to the staff team shortly...

New Releases
New Chapters
Completed stories!
None this week, though I do see that @Antoshi is starting to merge his trilogy of A Blond Ray of Sunshine, Sibling Rivalry and Intervention into one thread.

Review Game
Patrick Haines is still up for a review. The following has been requested, and remember, you only have to review one to participate!
OR
Remember, reviews done as part of the Review Game are worth an extra +2 points in the Review League!

Word of the Week
lalochezia (n.): the release of stress or emotions through swearing. [Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable]

After a solid hour of lalochezia, she finally felt contented.

Sometimes, it’s nice to have a word for a concept we’re all familiar with. If you’ve ever so much a stubbed a toe and spent ten minutes cursing freely, you’re familiar with lalochezia. The word means, with decidedly less flair, something like ‘crap-babbling’: the Ancient Greek lálos (to babble) and chezia from khézō (I defecate). If you’re not a fan of swearing, no doubt an apt description.

3VjnYgB.gif

Bud. Wei. Ser​

As always, there's something in the Review Game to review. We may be making some changes to the Review League soon, so eye's peeled for that. February's feature of the month is coming, we promise!

New releases
@UselessBytes brings us Scan Logs, a Metroid inspired series of snippets that detail the various locations, creatures and artifacts that Samus interacts with during her adventures.
@Jared DiCarlo has started another story, The Story of the Century! Let's hope it lives up to its name! ;)
@Patrick Haines has also started a new story, Grunt Work! It follows the exploits of a low level grunt within Team Rocket as he tries to rise through the ranks.
@Flaze brings us a Digimon story, Digimon Genesis! Turns out those little digital creatures actually are real.
@Rockapheller has started Pokemon Adventures: Red and Green, a story that focuses on the realistic dangers present to new trainers in a world full of monsters with apocalyptic powers.

New chapters
A new entry of The Alola Pokedex (Alakazam) by @Persephone EVERYONE: - The Alola Pokedex
Chapter 1 of Pokemon: Covering Ground by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon: Covering Ground
Episode 50b and an interlude of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Chapter 34 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Chapters 9, 10 and 11 of @Antoshi's A Blond Ray of Sunshine trilogy TEEN: - A Blond Ray of Sunshine (2/1/2019: Chapter 11)

Completed stories!
While it was featured in completed stories before, @Patrick Haines has now completed story-wide revisions to EVERYONE: - The Legend of Ampharos (Complete)

Review Game
OR

Word of the Week

numinous (adj.) having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity. [Oxford English Dictionary]

The strange, numinous beauty of this ancient landmark.

It’s a solemn word, for a concept that need not necessarily be solemn, but often is. The Romantics sometimes called it the sublime – a kind of awe-inspiring greatness that isn’t about beauty, but makes people feel small, and humble. Numinous (From the Latin nūmen, divine will) connotes religious feeling, but I think it can also describe the solemn feeling of being in a church when one an atheist, as much as the feeling of being confronted by the vast cosmos.

giphy.gif

Lots of snow where I am. Great time to curl up with some fanfiction!

The Word of the Week Grand Round Up has had a big update, with almost all the Words of the Week now categorised with a extended entry

New releases
@InfiniteBakuphoon finally brings us Mirror Adventure, something he teased as far back as last summer's Trainers of Fanfiction event! In this story, we follow the adventures of Mirror Ash and his companions, a concept briefly explored in episode 37 of the anime's Kalos series.

New chapters
Chapter 35 and 36 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Valentine's Day Special 2019 of PMD: Guiding Light Vol. 2 by @Ambyssin TEEN: - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light (Vol. 2)
Chapter 17 of PMD: Pathways of Aspiration by @p-bugle TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration
Two new entries (Persian, Mangezone) of the Alolan Pokedex by @Athena EVERYONE: - The Alola Pokedex
Week 387 of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 15 (Week 387: Haku the Swanna Maiden)
Episode 51a of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Episode 2 of Pokemon: Covering Ground by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon: Covering Ground
Chapter 3 of Pokemon Adventures: Red & Green by @Rockapheller TEEN: - Pokémon Adventures: Red & Green

Completed stories!
None this week

Review Game

OR

Word of the Week
Valentine’s day is almost upon us, and in an effort not to be completely sour about it, this week we bring you:

canoodle (v.): 1. kiss and cuddle amorously. [Oxford English Dictionary]
2. to cajole or persuade. [Wiktionary]

She was canoodling with her boyfriend.

Canoodle
is a mysterious word: a word of several senses, and certainly it seems that no two sources quite agree on what amorous activities are considered canoodling. Some informal dictionaries disagree that it is necessarily amorous at all. According to the OED, canoodle is US coinage, though the etymology is unknown. Whatever the meaning, to canoodle is to be intimate, and isn’t that nice?

Whoa! A wild Cresselia appeared in this thread!

A lone tumbleweed rolls by, giving space to an empty road. It looks like the Ponyta Express is late with his news…

New releases

Ah, what a great week to hang out around these forums. Say welcome back to an old writer and welcome home to two new writers by giving a nice read to their new stories!

Lone Star Shine Down by @Jabberwocky TEEN: - Lone Star Shine Down
Kayrana and Aurai - Musings by @Darkmaster006 EVERYONE: - Kayrana and Aurai - Musings (1. Longing)
I Needed Lies: Autobiographical Pokemon Meta-Poem by @Snuggle Tier List MATURE: - I Needed Lies: Autobiographical Pokemon Meta-Poem

New chapters

Interlude of Pokemon: Covering Ground by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon: Covering Ground
Episodes 51b and 52 of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Chapter 12 of The Worldslayers by @Sike Saner TEEN: - The Worldslayers
Chapter 18 of PMD: Pathways of Aspiration by @p-bugle TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration
Chapter 37 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Chapter 4 of Pokemon Adventures: Red & Green by @Rockapheller TEEN: - Pokémon Adventures: Red & Green
"Celadon City" of Grunt Work by @Patrick Haines EVERYONE: - Grunt Work

Completed stories!

None this week

Review Game

• An in depth review for chapter 2 of The Archsage War. It can be found in the first post of the thread.
OR
  • A general overview of the first few chapters of The Archsage War

Word of the Week

clairvoyant 1. (n.): a person who claims to have a supernatural ability to perceive things or events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact.
2. (adj.): having or exhibiting clairvoyance. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Clairvoyance is one of those supernatural abilities that can almost be common in Pokémon, a setting where psychics and aura readers are real and measurable. Stories about clairvoyance, or at least of abilities that fit the definition of clairvoyance, have been told for millennia, but the current word is a 19th century use, from the French clair (Clear) and voyant (From the verb voir, to see).

Hallo, all! Thanks for checking out this week's newsletter. It's my first post in the capacity of a moderator, so I'm feeling a little sentimental.

I've always loved this time of year. By winter's end the weather in my part of the world is bright and cool, and of course the summer insects won't arrive for some time yet. The days are getting longer, and with the extra sun comes a better quality of life for solar-powered folks like me. I'd like to wish everyone a little springtime optimism for their future. I certainly have some to spare!

I'm sure most of you reading this have already seen the announcement thread proper, but for the benefit of some: I've become a moderator! I'm thrilled to be part of the section staff here and I'm already getting to grips with the associated powers and responsibilities of the position. This community is important to me, and I want very much to do an excellent job as a local mod.

So please, feel as free to come to me with any issues at all, just as you would with any of our writerly mods. I'm an "open door" mod, so to speak!

As for teasers: this won't happen straight away, as I need time to prepare, but as a new mod I'd like to contribute something more to regular content on the forum. I already have some ideas about a feature thread or two I might cultivate. Stay posted!

New releases
The Complexity of Loving by @Darkmaster006 EVERYONE: - The Complexity of Loving
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap by @Greninjaman MATURE: - Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap

New chapters
Letter 16 of Flying in the Dark by @diamondpearl876 TEEN: - Flying in the Dark
Chapter 52 of Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey by @Juliko TEEN: - Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey
Chapter 19 of PMD: Pathways of Aspiration by @p-bugle TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration
Chapter 38 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
"Lavender Town" of Grunt Work by @Patrick Haines EVERYONE: - Grunt Work
Week 388 of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 15 (Week 388: Fourth Time's the Charm)
Episodes 53 and 54 of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Chapter 5 of Pokemon Adventures: Red & Green by @Rockapheller TEEN: - Pokémon Adventures: Red & Green
"My Friend, At Least You Get To Die" and "A Bright And Sunny Day" by @Snuggle Tier List MATURE: - Snuggle's Grand Poetry Grab Bag

Completed stories!
None this week.

Review Game
  • An in depth review for chapter 2 of The Archsage War. It can be found in the first post of the thread.
OR

Word of the Week
maven (n.): an expert or connoisseur. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Besides an executive sponsor, you need to find a technology maven, someone within the company who understands the new technology.

Most Pokémon fans will have come across maven in reference to Palace Maven Spenser of Generation III's Battle Frontier. A strange localisation, perhaps, but not inappropriate. The word is borrowed, perhaps unsurprisingly, from the Yiddish meyvn (Expert, connoisseur, or know-it-all), first appearing in 1950 but becoming popular in the 60s.

ash ketchum pokemon GIF

Good morning, writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the Workshop!

Nothing for this week!

New Releases
Dark Shadow Rises!!! from @Jared DiCarlo, a My Hero Academia fanfic
The Great Demon Archaeologist (And His Apprentice), by @Darkmaster006

New Chapters
Chapter 39 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation, by @namohysip
Muk, from The Alola Pokédex, by @Persephone
Episode 55 and Episode 56a of Pokémon Shine Diamond, by @LightningTopaz
Week 389 of Live from the Fireside, by LightningTopaz
A002-B.L.A.D.E. Part II of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Delta Dossiers, by @Cresselia92
A Fairer World, from Snuggle's Grand Poetry Grab Bag, by @Snuggle Tier List
Chapter 2: Ghost Town Blues of Lone Star Shine Down, by @Jabberwocky

Completed stories!
None this week

Review Game

OR

Word of the Week

tsundoku [つんどく] (n.): the act of leaving a book unread after buying it.
(v.): to leave piled up. [Wiktionary]

I’m terrible when it comes to tsundoku; my pile of books is about three feet high now.

I think any bibliophile can relate to this one. You buy a book, but find that, for one reason or another, you don’t read it. And you do so again, and again. Pretty soon you have a pile of books, all waiting to be read, all intended to be read, but none of them actually are. This, in short, is tsundoku.

Qjz8E3E.gif

Announcements
If you've not seen it yet, we have an upcoming event: Trainers of Fanfiction April 2019! We are currently taking on theme suggestions from the community. Got a theme you'd like to see? Let us know!

New Releases

New Chapters

Completed stories!
None this week.

Review Game
canisaries is this week's Review Game participant:
I'd like a review for my oneshot HIM, but as it's rated mature and deals with some heavy themes, I'll also accept a review of the teen-rated Alternate Prologue to Hunter, Haunted.

Word of the Week
We started Word of the Week fifty-two weeks ago, as a little addendum to the Weekly Newsletter. In that time we’ve roamed across language in search of the interesting, the topical, and the obscure. We’ve explored the history of tournaments and champions, unpacked literary matters with eucatastrophe, delved into loanwords with komorebi and inshallah. We’ve seen one of my favourite words in astrobleme, and been just a little naughty with callipygian. In this time I’ve burrowed through online word-lists, cross-referenced in the Oxford English Dictionary, been inspired by Crystal’s Words in Time and Place, and been delighted by Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.

It’s been great fun. So in light of a year of being unabashedly logophilic, we bring you:

anniversary (n.): the date on which an event took place or an institution was founded in a previous year. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Anniversary arrives in the English language from a usual source, at a usual time – Latin, in Middle English. It’s more or less an Anglicised version of anniversarius, from annus (year) and vertere (to turn). This ‘anniversary’: returning every year.

A moderator is never late. Neither is she early. She posts precisely when she means to!

tenor.gif

Announcements
A reminder that we're still taking community feedback for Trainers of Fanfiction - you've got till Saturday to register your opinions, and we'd love to hear from you.

New Releases
@canisaries has finished Barricade for a genre gamble

New Chapters
Dragony, Part Four, by @canisaries
Chapter Two: Growing Pains, and Chapter Three: We Are Not Alone of KAIJUMON, by @Snuggle Tier List
Interlude: Electric Shock Memories of Pokémon Shine Diamond, by @LightningTopaz
Week 391: Buneary's Trick of Live from the Fireside, by LightningTopaz
Chapter 39: Reunited of Land of the Roses, by @Misfit Angel
Snorlax from The Alola Pokédex, by @Persephone

Review Game

I'd like a review for my oneshot HIM, but as it's rated mature and deals with some heavy themes, I'll also accept a review of the teen-rated Alternate Prologue to Hunter, Haunted.

Word of the Week

doryphore (n.): a pedantic and annoyingly persistent critic. [Oxford English Dictionary]

I think doryphore is quite a useful word in the world of fanfiction. Most authors, if they have not met one, will have seen the doryphore in action. A doryphore isn’t quite a troll: a troll is merely a nuisance or their own amusement, where a doryphore’s criticism may not necessarily be. This sense was coined by Sir Harold Nicolson in the 1950s, borrowed from the French doryphore (Colorado beetle). Possibly he meant it in connotation with beetles as pests.

A new Sunday, a new sundae!

EvenCoordinatedAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

Announcements

As said here, Trainers of Fanfiction 2019 will be coming really soon, and the theme will be "family members". We hope you all are looking forward to this year's version of this exciting event!

New Releases

World Poetry Day 2019 Community Collab by @Snuggle Tier List
The Battle of Champions (Also, Grunt Work) by @Patrick Haines

New Chapters

Episode 57b "Pika and Goliath" of Pokémon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz
Letter Seventeen of Flying in the Dark by @diamondpearl876
Week 392 "To Catch a Thief" of Live from the Fireside, Season 15 by LightningTopaz
The Pratchett Chapter, and Chapter Four, When All You Have Left Walks Away of KAIJUMON by Snuggle Tier List
Chapter 5: Mine Rescue of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Instruments of Creation by @The Desert Cat

Review Game

Word of the Week

sententious (adj.): 1 given to moralising in a pompous or affected manner. [Oxford English Dictionary]
2 using as few words as possible; pithy and concise.
3 full of meaning [Wiktionary]

He tried to encourage his men with sententious rhetoric.
He was as a rule sententious in his speech.
His advice was widely respected as sententious.

The meaning of some words can twist unpredictably. Sententious comes from the Latin sententia (‘opinion’), and in its original, now obsolete, sense it was entirely sincere. In modern English the word is invariably sarcastic, so much so that most speakers no longer realise it is sarcasm.

giphy.gif

Good morning/evening, writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the Workshop!

The new season of Trainers of Fanfiction is coming very soon! The sign up thread will be posted within the next few days, so keep your eyes peeled

New Stories
@SnowyGlacier has released the short Inability to Speak

New Chapters
Chapter Two: Mirror Ash... A Chance Encounter in the Forest!? of Mirror Adventures, by @InfiniteBakuphoon
Epsode 56a: Our Cup Runneth Over, of Pokémon Shine Diamond, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 7 of Dark Shadow Rises!!!, by @Jared DiCarlo
Arbok from The Alola Pokédex, by @Persephone
Chapter 2: Endless Pasture! Lady Clouds? Banoffee Pie!?, of The Great Demon Archaeologist (and His Apprentice), by @Darkmaster006
Week 393: The Prince of the Lonely Isle, of Live from the Fireside, by LightningTopaz
Chapter 8 of Poké Park Panic, by Jared DiCarlo
The One, from World Poetry Day 2019 Community Collab, by Darkmaster006

Word of the Week

pericombobulation (n.): disturbance; confusion or bewilderment. [Oxford English Dictionary]

It is with deep regret that I see I have caused you pericombobulation.

Pericombobulation
is a word of strangely tangled etymology. Sometimes erroneously thought to be a corruption of discombobulation, it is actually a Regency combination of the Greek περί, perí (‘about, around’) and the Latin bobulare (‘illogical’). Thus pericombobulation is about, around, or to do with something illogical, or nonsensical.

SA0wHze.gif

the sound of music is in the air

Announcements
Trainers of Fanfiction is currently open for submissions, with the theme of Family Characters! If you'd like to participate and have an eligible character (remember, your story doesn't have to be published yet and you can use this as a teaser opportunity!), throw us an application!

New Releases

New Chapters

Completed stories!
None this week.

Review Game
We've got a new Review Game participant, and it's InfiniteBakuphoon this time!

InfiniteBakuphoon's review request is for any chapter of Mirror Adventures!

Word of the Week
With Springtime here again in the Northern half of the world, it’s time for Springtime vocabulary:

erumpent (adj.): that emerges, or breaks through; breaking forth. [Wiktionary]

The erumpent leaves glittered in the trees.

The vocabulary of Springtime, at least in the temperate, English-speaking world, is so often about new beginnings, frantic growth, the world waking up again and getting on with the business of living. Erumpent, a triumphant, almost noisy sort of word, comes from the Latin erumpens (‘Breaking’ or ‘bursting out’). It’s word that reminds us of eruption – not least because it comes from much the same root.

giphy.gif

Announcements
The submissions for Trainers of Fanfiction close tomorrow, so you may still have time to squeak in under the bar! I'm calling 23:59 GMT the absolute deadline. Thank you to everyone who has participated so far.

New Releases
None this week!

New Chapters
Letter eighteen of Flying in the Dark, by @diamondpearl876
badpoem, and Let's Be Happy from Snuggle's Grand Poetry Grab Bag, by @Snuggle Tier List
Chapter 59b: Our Own Brand of Power! of Pokémon Shine Diamond, by @LightningTopaz
Chapter 6: Bounty of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Instruments of Creation, by @The Desert Cat
Chapter 40 - Regrets and Reconciliation of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation, by @namohysip
A Battle of Champions: The Journey, of The Battle of Champions, by @Patrick Haines

The Review Game
Snuggle Tier List requests a review of KAIJUMON, either Chapter 2, or an overview of the entire story.

Word of the Week

blatherskite (n.): 1. a person who talks at great length without making much sense.
2. foolish talk; nonsense. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Most of her lectures were blatherskite, indeed, she was a blatherskite.

“Begone, you hallenshaker!
Jog on your gate, you blatherskite!”

Blatherskite is a word that has become an Americanism, though it comes from Scots English. The Scottish folk song Maggie Lauder, popular during the American War of Independence, introduced the word into the American lexicon.

Easter Egg, or just a regular egg?

a6707690efb4b50e559785c30f87e2a7.gif

Announcements

Yoh! A little reminder to all people who have sent their entry for Trainers of Fanfiction. Remember to send the answers to the questions and any missing info, so that we can proceed with the release of your entries in the next days.

New Releases

Searching... still searching... no new story found.

New Chapters

Chapter 42 from "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation", by @namohysip
Episode 59, Part 4 from "Pokémon Shine Diamond", by @LightningTopaz
Week 394, Part 1 from "Live from the Fireside", by LightningTopaz
"It's Your Fault" from "Snuggle's Grand Poetry Grab Bag", by @Snuggle Tier List
Chapter 21 from "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration", by @p-bugle
Hypno from "The Alola Pokédex", by @Persephone

The Review Game

Snuggle Tier List has requested a review of KAIJUMON, either Chapter 2 or a general overview of the entire story.

Word of the Week

sussuration (n.): whispering or rustling. [Oxford English Dictionary]

All the leaves danced with a lulling sussuration that spoke of summer heat.

It’s the wind in the willows, a shiver by the river, or quite possibly ‘mysterious people in long cloaks whispering important secrets behind a door’. Sussuration(From the Latin susurrare, to ‘murmur or hum’) is a soft, coy sort of word – a sound almost on the edge of hearing, detected only when all else is especially peaceful.

giphy.gif

Hello, writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's happening around the Workshop!

Nothing to announce this week!

New releases
Nothing this week.

New chapters
"The Devil's Work" by @Snuggle Tier List MATURE: - [AND TEEN] [AND EVERYONE] Snuggle's Grand Poetry Grab Bag
Episode 60 and an Interlude of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Week 394b of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 15 (Week 394b: The Legend of Princess Melanie, part 2)
Chapter 7 of PMD: Instruments of Creation by @The Desert Cat TEEN: - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Instruments of Creation
Chapter 43 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
"The Battle" of The Battle of Champions by @Patrick Haines EVERYONE: - The Battle of Champions (The Final Chapter)
Chapter 14 of A Blond Ray of Sunshine by @Antoshi TEEN: - A Blond Ray of Sunshine (4/26/2019: Chapter 14 + Updates)
A new entry "Spiritomb" of The Alola Pokedex by @Persephone EVERYONE: - The Alola Pokedex

Completed stories!
None this week.

Review Game
Snuggle Tier List has requested a review of KAIJUMON, either Chapter 2 or a general overview of the entire story.

Word of the Week
banquet (n.): 1. an elaborate meal with several courses; a feast. [Oxford English Dictionary]
2. a dessert, a course of sweetmeats. [Wiktionary]
(v.): entertain with a banquet. [Oxford English Dictionary]

A banquet now is more or less synonymous with a feast, but in the late medieval period it was more like a buffet of light, dessert foods – less elaborate or formal than the modern word connotes. You might expect banquet to enter the language from Latin via French, but strangely enough the word boomerangs to us from the Lombardic bank (‘bench’), then on through Italian and French to the Middle English banket. It’s a word with Germanic bones, like the oldest of English words.

HlQ6Ym2sGbLFJFCFIz0ba-MuuU8Ua6BvgxzQMx8j6l0SmHPllQ2XYGv2QNE0XisTgsXOSLniIvV6kuFZXs_TSlkcYAt3LK5YujikRyaRAk6dPfVMc-1C5zVlHjubjkrb4bzlKTiOrkUzZYrkpFeJHZZh8rhtwYI7wFFJ53XVDeo

Hallo, all! I hope everyone is having a lovely spring. I've been writing more than I have in quite some time, and so I'm feeling in good spirits. I hope the same for everyone else. Here follows the weekly news:

We'll be participating in the upcoming site-wide staff drive soon, so people should keep a look out for that announcement.

We've also got a new Review League challenge for May: offer 100+ words of feedback on a fic's character development and claim 2 extra bonus points.

Also, Trainers of Fanfiction is currently ongoing! Check out the latest entries here.

New releases
Battle With Me: Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness by @Snuggle Tier List TEEN: - Battle With Me: Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness
Brium: A World of Tales by @lucarioknight56 TEEN: - Brium: A World of Tales (Original Anthology)
The Legendarian Chronicles by @Chibi Pika TEEN: - The Legendarian Chronicles

New chapters
Chapter 55 of Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey by @Juliko TEEN: - Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey
Week 394c of Live from the Fireside by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Live from the Fireside, Season 15 (Week 394c: The Legend of Princess Melanie, part 3)
Episodes 61, 62 and 63 of Pokemon Shine Diamond by @LightningTopaz EVERYONE: - Pokemon Shine Diamond
Chapters 15 through 18 of A Blond Ray of Sunshine by @Antoshi TEEN: - A Blond Ray of Sunshine (5/4/2019: Chapter 18)
Chapter 22 of PMD: Pathways of Aspiration by @p-bugle TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration
Chapter 44 of PMD: Hands of Creation by @namohysip TEEN: - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation

Completed stories!
None this week

Review Game

Word of the Week
wight (n.): 1. a person of a specified kind.
2: a spirit, ghost, or other supernatural being. [Oxford English Dictionary]
(adj.): brave, valorous, strong; stout or active [Wiktionary (paraphrased)]

Wight has now most commonly taken on the meaning of a ghost or malevolent spirit, in part due to the Barrow Wights of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, but the original meaning was quite different. Curiously, the Old English wiht had a meaning for which we have no vernacular noun today – a living, sentient being, especially a human. It’s an idea that has applications for science fiction and fantasy where non-human people commonly feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom