• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 12/01/14 - please read before post

Alright then. I just sent you one. Let me know what you think.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 12/01/14 - please read before post

- All stories with scenes of severe sexual violence (ie rape) must add an additional warning in the Thread Title
I'm curious to what specifically determines "sexual violence". Would a BDSM fic need a warning in the thread title, aside from the Mature label?

- All stories with scenes of severe sexual violence (ie rape) must add an additional warning in the Thread Title
I'm curious to what specifically determines "sexual violence". Would a BDSM fic need a warning in the thread title, aside from the Mature label?

It would depend how violent it was, and if it was consensual or not; I am sure if it was a mild, consensual scene than it would be fine, but if your getting into dodgy stuff than you should really make a note of it. At the very least if you label something Mature you should throw a proper warning at the start of the first chapter anyway to give people an idea before they venture in. If you have a specific example feel free to PM it to me.

Question for ya:

I've recently been working on poetry and actually wrote a few lines last night. I'd love to post some of my work here, but it's obviously not a story, nor do they reach 1,000 words. Is there another place to post such material, or if I can group together poems that reach 1,000, would it be okay to post it in the Fairground?

Thank you!

The 1000 word limit is for first chapters/prologues, meaning that one shots or poetry are exempt from the rule.

Question about linking Fan Fiction

K, just posted my Fanfic both here and DeviantArt, would love comments and Reviews on DeviantArt but reading the Fairground Rulebook rules and want to know what would be an appropriate place here to post my DeviantArt Link?

Re: Question about linking Fan Fiction

K, just posted my Fanfic both here and DeviantArt, would love comments and Reviews on DeviantArt but reading the Fairground Rulebook rules and want to know what would be an appropriate place here to post my DeviantArt Link?

You can post the link in your fic's thread, with a note saying that's where you'd prefer reviews. Just as long as the fic gets uploaded here as well. Welcome to the Fairground!

Re: Question about linking Fan Fiction

6. Off-Site Advertising (Advertisement, 3 points)
Users may not create a thread here to link to a story elsewhere. Users may post their story here and provide a link to somewhere else that they would prefer to receive reviews.

You can just put the link somewhere in the first chapter of your story noting that you'd prefer reviews on Deviant.

For a number of reasons, Rule Two has been updated; if your are a new writer or planning on posting a new story, please make sure you check out these changes. Thread closures will now be done at the moderators discretion and will be looking at an attempt of quality rather than based on a strict word limit. We still recommend you put as much effort into your prologues/first chapters as possible.

Also, as a reminder, we ask that if you have a one off question related to your writing to ask, then can you please post it in the General Writing Questions thread; that way everyone is capable of finding answers to their questions in one place and posting there should get your more attention anyway. And if you want to discuss a particular issue, make sure there is not a currently active thread with the same line of discussion already.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 24/04/14 - please read before post

Quick question about Teen sexual content rating - I assume we're going by this definition of "second base"?

You Americans and your baseball slang

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 24/04/14 - please read before post

Quick question about Teen sexual content rating - I assume we're going by this definition of "second base"?

You Americans and your baseball slang

Yes, that is the general definition we are going by, largely as it does have international usage as well.

We have updated Rule 11 to put in something about completed works and one shots. Just to clarify, if you finish your story, we ask that within a month from finishing it that it gets moved to the Archive, and if you post a one shot we ask that at the end of three months you move it there. The reason for this is because the Fairground is set so that if something does not get updated for a year it will not appear when you browse through the forum unless you change the date, while in the Archive everything is open permanently back to when it started so your story will remain on the front pages for a long time instead of getting shoved aside. We are also implementing this because a lot of people are leaving their finished stories and one shots in the Directory and there are now so many links there that it is having trouble saving them all, so it will help us out a lot of if we can remove finished stories from the FG Directory and put them in the Archive.
Even though this rule has been implemented now, we ask that if you have a finished story or a one shot that is older than three months that you contact a moderator or in the Help to Move thread in the Archive and we will start clearing the backlog.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 04/05/14 - please read before post

This place is called the fiction fairground, so I assume that nonfiction is a no-go?

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 04/05/14 - please read before post

This place is called the fiction fairground, so I assume that nonfiction is a no-go?

As long as it's creative writing, we're hardly going to jump on you for it. It's really up to your better judgement whether the piece belongs here or in a blog. Worst case scenario: we tell you to put it in your blog and lock the thread. If you're nervous about it, feel free to send the piece in question to one of the mods and we'll let you know.

Personally, I think it'd be neat to see more memoirs and stuff like that around here (and that confusion is part of why I'm not too fond of the rename :p).

It depends on what exact type of non-fiction work you are intending to post here, as non fiction can encompass quite a variety of things. I think the easiest method would be to message one of us directly with the work or idea you have, but generally fiction is what gets posted here.

Say I'll post a new story. In the first post, starting the thread, I put the index. Second post is the Prologue, and it is just 500 words. Within the hour, the first chapter is posted in a third post, and it amount to more than 1,000 words.

Is that allowed? Sorry, the new limit for words is confusing me.

@Kyuuketsuki: Well, firstly I think you should just put the prologue and index in one post, I have never really seen why people split those up. And the rule is more us moderators reading and judging if you have actually put effort into your first chapter/prologue/what have you, with the word limit being a general suggestion for what someone should be aiming for.
One of the reasons behind the original rule was that a lot of the stories being posted at the time had completely pointless prologues that say nothing about the story but the writer had just slapped one on because it seems basically everyone does them these days, and there all they ended up being were a couple of sentences/paragraphs of nothing but massive teases people think is going to draw readers in. The big thing to consider is whether the stuff in your prologue needs to be in its own bit or if it cannot just be put into the start of your first chapter.
Essentially, just post it and a moderator will have a read and see if you have put the effort in, and if your going to post a first chapter so soon after, I'll probably see if the two can't just be in one thing.

*knock-knock-knock* Acetrainer14, *knock-knock-knock* Acetrainer14, *knock-knock-knock* Acetrainer14

I have an awesome idea about a fanfic story but only be able to came with 300+ words for the first chapter. But... expand it will lose the charm of the story, I think.. what do you think? Can I post...? I still not done any editing yet so it isn't ready now.. but I want to ask first to make sure.

Like I said above, the rule is in place but it largely comes down to whether you have effectively told an interesting story in those words. If 300 words is effective, then we will leave it up, but if it is just 300 words of nothingness without any real effort then we will do something about it. The point is you should be telling something that actually sets your story up and captivates the reader. We cannot tell you to post or not to post until we have actually read it. Feel free to PM it to me if you want beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom