• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 04/05/14 - please read before post

If I may inquire, I was wondering why there are not separate sub-sections for poetry, fanfics, and original works.
I don't understand why these three differing works are lumped together.

I often do not know whether a piece is poetry, an original work, or a fanfic until I click on it (unless the title explicitly states it). Being that this section is not particularly active anyway, further giving people a reason to avoid browsing threads because they cannot tell what it is does not work in favor of the authors.
There are other reasons too, of course.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed and decided on; after all, I have been absent for the better part of two years.

Re: The Fairground Rulebook & Welcome Hub (Updated 04/05/14 - please read before post

Original works and poetry are posted far too infrequently to dedicate an entire section to each of them.

If I may inquire, I was wondering why there are not separate sub-sections for poetry, fanfics, and original works.
I don't understand why these three differing works are lumped together.

I often do not know whether a piece is poetry, an original work, or a fanfic until I click on it (unless the title explicitly states it). Being that this section is not particularly active anyway, further giving people a reason to avoid browsing threads because they cannot tell what it is does not work in favor of the authors.
There are other reasons too, of course.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed and decided on; after all, I have been absent for the better part of two years.
Firstly, the section is generally rather active: it perhaps has not been the past week or fortnight, but we have just come off having the highest amount of entries into our Awards ever, so I refute such claims as that.

The reason why there are not separate sub sections for all content is because not all content is popular. While at the moment we are experiencing popularity with poetry, such threads were essentially non-existent a few months prior, the same with original works. If we had a deluge of such content that made it necessary to split the forum into three than I am sure that would happen, but seeing as Pokemon fiction remains the most popular works published here by far, there is not really any need to diversify.
We could look at perhaps expanding the labelling system, but I believe you can only attribute one label per thread which would cause more issues. You can always use the Fairground Directory which is stickied and linked to at the start of this thread, which splits things down further and would help you find what you are looking for.

Well I didn't mean offense with my claim...
But I appreciate the swift response, thank you :)
(Also didn't know about the Directory, so that helps!)

Hypothetical question here - would it be acceptable to post a thread consisting of a series of writing challenges/exercises, provided each challenge was of a reasonable length (Say at least 1,000 words per challenge). I reckon it would be a good way to practice since there could be the possibility of feedback on the practice

Also, how would I go about placing a technical manual?

The first page is a cover that's intended to evoke a US Army field manual. It's literally less than one hundred words.

The next chapter is a profile of a vehicle and then a short story starring said vehicle.

@Beth Pavell: I would be fine with that if they were completed short stories and not just a series of random paragraphs designed. If that was the case, your blog may be the better place for that type of thing.
@Drakon: If the short story is the main focus, than that should be in your first post as that is the actual story. The other stuff could be in the first post as well, either in spoilers or not, or in your blog if it is extra material.

if the short story is the main focus, than that should be in your first post as that is the actual story. The other stuff could be in the first post as well, either in spoilers or not, or in your blog if it is extra material.

So would it be fine to post the cover page and the first entry on the same post?

By the way, the chapters are structured like this:

(From the top)
Name of vehicle/ordnance/weapon

Stats of said vehicle/ordnance/weapon

Doctor Kaminko's commentary

Short story

So would it be fine to post the cover page and the first entry on the same post?

By the way, the chapters are structured like this:

(From the top)
Name of vehicle/ordnance/weapon

Stats of said vehicle/ordnance/weapon

Doctor Kaminko's commentary

Short story
As that is the rules, yes, it would be fine if you posted the proper story in the first post.

Um, so, I've tried to post the second part of my fic about three times... It won't go through, and I'm not sure why. Shouldn't be the word count or anything, since I've got about 1,600 words... I'm getting kind of frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions?

Um, so, I've tried to post the second part of my fic about three times... It won't go through, and I'm not sure why. Shouldn't be the word count or anything, since I've got about 1,600 words... I'm getting kind of frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions?

Your last two posts in your story thread were deleted because they were identical to a chapter you have already posted. You have posted Parts 1 and 2 of your Prologue, and then twice posted again the second part. If you posted a third part or a new chapter, that should go through without a problem.

Your last two posts in your story thread were deleted because they were identical to a chapter you have already posted. You have posted Parts 1 and 2 of your Prologue, and then twice posted again the second part. If you posted a third part or a new chapter, that should go through without a problem.

Well, I posted the first part about a week ago, and it didn't show up, so I tried again, and it still didn't go up after a day... So I tried one more time. It's up now, but it wasn't when I posted this message. So, that's what that was.

I have a question: are non-Pokemon fan fics allowed to be posted here? Like from fandoms such as Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Steven Universe, Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, etc.?

I have a question: are non-Pokemon fan fics allowed to be posted here? Like from fandoms such as Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Steven Universe, Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, etc.?

Yes they are. I should know, as I've posted a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic series on here (Psychic Duelist Django), so any and all types of fanfiction are welcome on these forums.

Could I make a fic about me and Lucy? Can it be mature? D:

So I feel like asking about collaborative works. Namely, are they allowed and if so how? How do they interact with the subforum rules?

Truth is, the general rules in most forums like BMGF the general rules are the same, but none of them really spell out considerations for collaborative writing in their fanfiction section rules. Which, I guess, makes some sense, but I cut myself before I digress.

So basically if [N amount of] authors decided to band together and publish a story where all of them author and publish the content, like say in a one-chapter-per-author model, how would that work? For example, do all the authors need to be members of the community? Do all of them can "bump" the thread with new content outside of a given update timeframe or only the thread starter can?

So I feel like asking about collaborative works. Namely, are they allowed and if so how? How do they interact with the subforum rules?

Truth is, the general rules in most forums like BMGF the general rules are the same, but none of them really spell out considerations for collaborative writing in their fanfiction section rules. Which, I guess, makes some sense, but I cut myself before I digress.

So basically if [N amount of] authors decided to band together and publish a story where all of them author and publish the content, like say in a one-chapter-per-author model, how would that work? For example, do all the authors need to be members of the community? Do all of them can "bump" the thread with new content outside of a given update timeframe or only the thread starter can?
If you mean you have a certain number of authors working on something at the start, that is allowed. If you are thinking of Roleplaying Games or something that goes here. We have had works where there have been multiple authors, most notably Storm Island and Crossover Battles, so it is allowed. Who posts what or how often is up to the authors to decide, but if it collapses into people just arguing about what-not, we will have to intervene.

Greetings!
I am a long-time reader of the site but only newly registered user. I am interested in posting a narrative poem that I have written; would this be an appropriate addition to the creative writing-section? Please let me know.

Greetings!
I am a long-time reader of the site but only newly registered user. I am interested in posting a narrative poem that I have written; would this be an appropriate addition to the creative writing-section? Please let me know.

Per the OP:
OP said:
We welcome every and all new fictions posted, whether Pokemon, a completely different series or something altogether original. And it doesn't even have to be a fic. You are more than welcome to post poems, One-Shot pieces of works and almost anything and everything creative.
Poems are totally fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom