• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Writers Workshop Rulebook & Information Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read all about it! Nope Read all about them! Hang on Read all of them! Nearly there Read and review all of them! Something like that

Read and review 'em all sounds akin to Pokedex completion. Gotta catch 'em all except WW style! I dig it.

Hello. I'm quite new to the forums and someone who likes to write in her spare time. Is it alright if I join the workshop?

Certainly! You don't need permission, my friend - post to your heart's desire whether it's a creative work you wrote, for discussions, or to get to know our other members in the general chat thread! Welcome, and let me or another moderator know if you have any questions. This thread is also used for questions if needed; there's a FAQ in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly! You don't need permission, my friend - post to your heart's desire whether it's a creative work you wrote, for discussions, or to get to know our other members in the general chat thread! Welcome, and let me or another moderator know if you have any questions. This thread is also used for questions if needed; there's a FAQ in the first post.
Thank you. I do have one question regarding rating. If you were to have a character create weapons(A spear, two blades, and a sword) that could emulate Pokemon attacks, would that be counted as an E or a T rating?

Thank you. I do have one question regarding rating. If you were to have a character create weapons(A spear, two blades, and a sword) that could emulate Pokemon attacks, would that be counted as an E or a T rating?

Interesting idea! It depends how you plan to have your characters use said weapons. If you have any fight scenes that inflict serious injuries or death, or if you're going to describe a fair amount of blood, I'd say Teen. Otherwise, Everyone works fine.

So the spear has the powers of Rock and Ground which causes two different structures to fall at different points in the story; the first time it's heavily implied two minor characters are heavily injured though they're offpage for the rest of the story, the other time a major character is injured to the point where she's in the hospital for the rest of the story, the only blood is a cut on her forehead. There is one death but it's done offpage. It's obvious what happened but it's not seen and the body's never seen by the character the point of view follows. Is that enough for a T rating?

So the spear has the powers of Rock and Ground which causes two different structures to fall at different points in the story; the first time it's heavily implied two minor characters are heavily injured though they're offpage for the rest of the story, the other time a major character is injured to the point where she's in the hospital for the rest of the story, the only blood is a cut on her forehead. There is one death but it's done offpage. It's obvious what happened but it's not seen and the body's never seen by the character the point of view follows. Is that enough for a T rating?

If you want to be safe, you can do a T rating, though with everything done off the screen, you'd be okay with Everyone, too!

If you want to be safe, you can do a T rating, though with everything done off the screen, you'd be okay with Everyone, too!
Okay. There is one nightmare sequence that will definitely give the fic a T rating but since I'm not even close to that part and I won't be uploading anything of the story until the end of spring(and I don't have a title at the moment), that scene could end up cut.

Okay. There is one nightmare sequence that will definitely give the fic a T rating but since I'm not even close to that part and I won't be uploading anything of the story until the end of spring(and I don't have a title at the moment), that scene could end up cut.
This might be relevant to you:
9) Do I have to change my rating tag if it jumps around?
You do not have to change your rating if one chapter deviates from the rating: simple place a warning next to it in your table of contents (if you have one) as well as before the chapter title. However, if your story deviates from the rating for an extended period of time and you plan to continue like so, please change your rating tag accordingly.
If that's just the one sequence, it looks like you can still use the Everyone rating if you have a warning in place for the chapter it takes place in. This is something I'll be doing when my fic reaches a certain fight scene much later on (no blood and no death but it's still a very intense event).

tenor.gif

Pikachu GIFs are so overdone smh

Another week, another mini-newsletter. Glad to see such a positive reception to this!

To start, a minor announcement: the rules post at the beginning of this thread has been updated to include some helpful links. Check it out to get to know your way around the Workshop.

Since it's the beginning of a new month, the Review League has been updated with a brand new monthly challenge: settings! We also have a wonderful interview with @Beth Pavell, our Author of the Month!

On to our new fics this week...

First is @Twilight-Kun with their third story already in the Workshop: Walking With Gods. A touching, character-driven story about a boy and his Arceus... an Arceus and its boy?

Secondly, we have PRAY from @Kakea. In an alternate version of Unova, people can gain the powers of Pokemon!

Last but not least is Unsteady Blade - Deen's Story, a new Fire Emblem chapter fic from the ever productive @UselessBytes!

That's it for this week. Hope to see you all in the Workshop!​

Good evening (or good morning), writers of Bulbagarden! Here's what's been happening around the Workshop!

We only had two new releases this week:

Satoshi's Call, a darker re-imagining of the episode "A Conspiracy to Conquer" that looks very promising.
Legend of the Darkness, an anime-based fic based on a tall tale/urban Legend of Zelda the author heard when they were younger that looks to get spooky, just in time for Halloween!

But our main feature this week is AceTrainer14's "How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps", which celebrates its seventh anniversary this month--that's a long time for a fic to be running!

To celebrate the momentous occasion, I sat down with Ace to ask him about the fic--seven(ish) questions for seven years, covering the fic's beginnings, where it is now, where it will go from here, and what's next for him writing-wise.

LT: Did you ever dream that the story would run this long?

Ace: I always knew it would be long but never thought it'd still be going after all this time. If I had kept up the pace I maintained in my second year of writing it, during which a quarter of the story was written, I'd probably be done. The reason why is I've become a better and more careful writer and am more aware of how to write a story that is not just loud and explosion ridden.

LT: What was the story's initial concept like? Do any of those original concepts still remain in the story?

Ace: Well, the concept is in the title. I can't change too much of it otherwise it would have to be called something else XD the story I started telling all those years ago - a girl goes on a journey and has to save the world whether she wants to or not - is still the same one now.

LT: How has the story itself changed over seven years?

Ace: There have been two big changes. Firstly, the action has dropped off considerably. It was becoming tiresome for readers so I reevaluated how I was writing the story and decided to cut down the number of fight scenes and such. Secondly Alaska has changed a lot. She is a much sadder figure now than I ever imagines, but it has made the story better I think than if she had just been sassy all the time. Both Alaska and Sandy are more deconstructed than I originally intended, but I am happy with where it is going.

LT: Is there any part of the story you wish you could've done differently? Why or why not?

Ace: I wish I had taken feedback on earlier it would have been easier to go back and edit past chapters when there were less of them in the Intensive Chapter Recovery Unit. There are some plot stuff I wish I'd done better, but I can redeem some of those matters easier.

LT: What were some ideas and concepts that didn't make the final cut?

Ace: The general direction of the plot how it currently stands is what I wanted it to be, only a bit calmer and with a more contemplative focus. Only a few action scenes have been cut, and a few ideas such as Alaska using Sandy's Pokémon during gym battles . Nothing major has been lost, though supporting characters such as Mitchell and Looker were going to have bigger roles.

LT: What's next for this universe after the story ends? Will your next work still be in this universe, or something else entirely?

Ace: I don't write chronologically, so when this ends I still have to go back and write some of the stuff that comes beforehand. In terms of chronology, 8ES is part of an erase in the story where the previous heroes such as Red and Leaf saved the world and now they have to live in what they crated. Alaska is a product shaped by their actions, and how the story ends will impact on future installments in the GVerse. For a future teaser, part of the epilogue is set in Unova which is the next region to feel my wrath.

LT: Why do you think the story has endured for as long as it has? Will you be saddened when it finally ends?

Ace: If you mean why I didn't give up on it, I just love the characters and story too much. Alaska is like marmite for some readers, but I understand her and know why she is how she is. Sandy is a joy even when she is sad. The villains and supporting characters are great to write. There is little of the story I don't enjoy writing. Plus I owe it to them and the readers to end it how I intended. I expect how people read the story will change in the last three chapters and the epilogue, and I want to write that even if it takes another seven years.

So there you have it--a little insight on one of the longest currently running fics here in the Workshop!

That's all for this week, but if you have any tips for new and promising fics, or ideas for features, let us know!

It's that time again!
4QlghQe.gif

New Releases
We've only had one new release this week, Reverberations of Time by @Unown Seer. It will follow the separate adventures of two characters, Kris, the protagonist of Pokemon Crystal, and Ernest, a young boy who is retracing her steps in search of the truth.

Updates
Since we're short on new releases, I'll focus on updates to long-running stories:
Other
I'll throw in one last thing for this week, a bit of vocabulary! This week's focus is on "fascicle", a word most of us are probably unfamiliar with, but currently work with! A fascicle is a section of a written work that is published in separate installments. In times past, this was usually used for monthly magazines as a way to keep readers subscribed, but with the advent of the internet, fan fiction has muscled its way in and taken the term for itself.

Last edited:
@Emma Prescott Thanks, but Ernest isn't a trainer. The description I gave him is a "boy who investigates the truth behind something horrific 20 years after Kris' journey."

tumblr_mi3sc0hcIy1s4rjawo1_500.gif

This week's been pretty productive! I have no new fics to announce, but I noticed the immense amount of updates and was interested to see just how productive our Bulbagarden writers have been. A count of all the words posted to fics this week brought us to a total of 30,640 WORDS! That's a good chunk of a whole novel written right there according to NaNoWriMo, posted just in the last 7 days! Our winter awards are approaching fast, as nominations will begin in early December, so I hope to see all these fics there as well as everyone else working hard on their stories!

Our productive authors this week are...

@Gengarzilla with chapter 8 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Azure Rescuers! (7,580 words)
@lucarioknight56 with chapter 45 of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Forgotten Isles! (2,906 words)
@TRNatalie with chapter 3 of Legend of the Darkness! (1,988 words)
@Antoshi with chapter 5 of A Blond Ray of Sunshine! (4,375 words)
@Unown Seer with chapter 3 of Reverberations of Time! (1,286 words)
@canisaries with chapter 2 of Hunter, Haunted! (2,948 words)
@LightningTopaz with week 358c of Live from the Fireside (799 words) and episode 100 of Pokémon Moonlight Silver (1,502 words)!
@Twilight-Kun with an omake of Walking with Gods! (750 words)
@Flaze with part 3 of Because You Were There! (3,127 words)
@Sike Saner with chapter 6 of The Worldslayers! (3,379 words)

Keep up the great work, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom