• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theme for this Generation

Magmaster12

Reaction score
Each set of games had there own theme or ideas to them.

This time I think the games are focused on individuality based on the starters.

Froakie represents the original starters as in being amphibious like the original trio.

Chespin represents the future of starters as in pokemon that more creative in design with a spring of generic cuteness.

Fenniken represents the present, being a generic "cute" animal that appears in all of the games.

Design wise the legendary also seem completely different from each other.

Odds are the third member will be able to transform between the two.

DP was evolution and creation, BW was liberation and teamwork, and XY will likely be on individuality as you said or uniqueness based on science not always being a good thing, and the evil team screwing up somewhere in their genetic plans.

If you're then maybe the Professor of this region will be like a genetics Professor.

X and Y are biological terms and there's a DNA helix in the logo.

Gen I was basically just introduction.

Gen II was about tradition - the traditional Japanese setting and the Team Rocket legacy, as well as the ancient legionaries.

Gen III was mostly about environmental concerns, as the two antagonist teams were Eco-terrorists.

Gen IV was mostly about religion and origins, given the Legendary's themes of being creation deities and the antagonist's goals to usurp god.

Gen V was about politics and how they can divide or unite people. The divisive politics of Rerisham and Zerkrom, as well as the schism in Team Plasma. There was some more eco-terrorism, of course, but I think the political divide undercurrent was stronger.

Gen VI will probably be something about biology or nature vs nurture or genetic engineering, I bet.

Yeah, gen 6 definitely has something to do with genetics, what with X and Y being the game titles (sex chromosomes, anyone?), and that DNA-like helix being in the logos. I bet the evil team of the new region will be messing around with genetics too.

It's funny. Just a few days ago I was wondering what the aim of a new villainous team could be. Part of me thought 'genetics' since it'd be a neat subject, but then figured it probably wouldn't end up being that.

But if Gen VI's main theme is about genetics, then maybe. o.o

I like that theory that X and Y are meant to refer to dimensions...i.e. height, width, and depth. They're variables basically. It makes sense since it's featured on the 3DS where dimensions are big part of the graphics.

And you know, that's interesting if you consider last Gen's rival had a mathematic based-name and carried around a 3D cube.

I still have a hunch that it's going to be Genetics-related. It could be about science going overboard and pokémon getting abused in the illegal experiments of the villainous team.

They've already done a science/genetics theme way back in the first generation, though that's arguably a major theme of the entire series. Some people think that the new generation will be based on Norse legends, which would be interesting.

Well i wouldnt say gen 1 was based on a science theme. Sure it had mewtwo who was scientifically cloned but besides that there wasnt really a theme. Gen 1 didnt really go much into a story like later gens have.

Every generation starting with Gen 3 has had a theme to it. Gen 1 had no theme as it was basically the opening to the franchise, there was no mythos to the Pokemon franchise at the time, because they were still in the process of developing the Pokemon mythos, there was no real story to it other than a basic excuse plot of collecting 8 gym badges and becoming the champion, with Team Rocket essentially being a side-plot that had virtually no impact on the main storyline other than Giovanni being the last Gym leader. Gen 2 was essentially an "expansion pack" to Gen 1, while new concepts were added, the story was essentially the same as the first gen, little new things were added to the story, but in gameplay concepts much more was added.

Gen 3 was the generation that basically set up the standards by which all future Pokemon games would follow, there was more of a story to the games, even if it was still mostly the excuse plot, this was the first generation to have a theme to it, and that theme was essentially the balance of nature between the earth and the sea, even if Team Aqua and Magma had lame excuses for why they wanted to awaken the legendaries and take over the world (OF COURSE). Gen 4 went deeper into the concept of having a story by having a larger threat, even if parts of it were never fully explained, the theme of this generation was essentially the creation of the universe. Gen 5 went even further and made more complex characters that were involved with the story, as well as the concept of a psuedo "chosen one", even if it's still never fully explained, as well as conflict between what one group believes and what another doesn't, that's what the theme of this generation was.

With a constantly evolving method of storytelling that gets more mature each generation, Gen 6 will possibly have a deeper storyline than Gen 5 did, given what the legendaries are, the possible Yggdrasil theory that's going around, as well as the possible chromosome concept, it's possible that the theme of Gen 6 will involve the concept of life and evolution, and could possibly give us a more clear answer to what Pokemon actually ARE, as this is one of the biggest questions about the franchise that's asked both inside and out of the games: Where did Pokemon come from, and what exactly are they? While this question may never be answered clearly, there have been many hints over the years to what the exact origin of Pokemon is, and Gen 6 may possibly give more definite revelations to their origin.

I'm thinking maybe something to do with order and chaos since X and Y could be considered variables. Maybe the evil gang for this generation wants to throw the world into some state of anarchy.

Seeing as this generation seems to be based around DNA and genes, there will likely be a few test-tube Pokemon like Porygon, Rotom, and Genesect (who will probably be a big part of the story arch due to his origin, so seeing him brought over at least for the story isn't out of the question and is actually very plausible). I see that Xerneas and Yveltal can be based on Norse/Scandinavian folklore because of the Cernunnos, the fact that it's based in Europe, and the odd, Indo-European naming of the Legendaries so far, but the fact that the name is Pokemon X and Y (perhaps based on chromosomes), and the fact that the Japanese Pocket Monsters logo has a DNA structure in it (further backing the chromosome claim), it's likely that the Legendaries being based on Norse mythology is just a coincidence. Besides, Yveltal seems to be based off a Quetzal, a Mexican bird (according to Bulbapedia). Personally, I'd fucking love to see the Norse Gods in Pokemon form, but it doesn't seem to be the case. The thing about the possible (and obvious) future Z game, is that it's about Pokemon's jump to the 3DS; X, Y, and Z coordinates.

tl;dr: Totally based on genetics, XYZ co-ordinates are a coincidental marketing thing, and Norse mythology theories are a coincidence.

I'm not so sure it's going to be genetics, given that we've had genetic engineering etc. covered a fair few times now with the likes of Mewtwo, Castform and Genesect. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I think it's going to have something to do with dimensions.

X , Y and Z being representative of height, width and depth has obvious links to X and Y being the first fully 3D main series games; and from the hints about Trainer / Pokémon bonds having an effect on gameplay, it could be something to do with the dimensions and depths of the relationship between Pokémon and humans.

They could go to the same route as Mewtwo in the first movie did, you know, questioning our own existence, and the mature-ish theme that ''magic'' can be explained by genes.

We could get some cross between Mewtwo and Trubbish, a legendary that's some horrible mutant thing created through a laboratory accident.

I didn't notice the little double helix looking thing on the X and Y logos until just now; the games are going to have some kind of focus on molecular biology!

According to the special message from Masuda, beauty is a theme of the game. I can see how that would tie into Kalos due to being based on France. I wonder if the beauty theme has anything to do with the genetics theme I've heard being speculated as well. There is a lot I could see them doing with the beauty theme, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so that should be interesting.

Beauty is certainly an interesting theme. Judging by the map, it seems to have a lot of natural and constructed beauty.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom