• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Themes of Pokémon within a generation

Nitro Indigo

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I just remembered that a while ago, I liked to think about how Pokémon reflected their generation's theme. Some of these I got from Bulbapedia articles, but others I realised on my own. Here's my most detailed thoughts:
  • The of Gen 2 theme is nature and tradition. This is reflected by not only the traditional Japanese architecture of Ecutreak City, but also having Pokémon such as a nature spirit with its own shrine (Celebi), a totem pole bird (Xatu), a kirin that purifies water (Suicune), two species that have a symbiotic relationship (Remoraid and Mantine), and using subdivision of surfaces to make 3D models look smoother (Porygon2)... wait, what? (Most of the designs are also rounder and cutesyer, which I believe was an attempt to cash in on Tamagotchi.)
  • I once read an interview about Black and White (I think it was in Official Nintendo Magazine?) where the interviewee said they were inspired to make a region based on New York because of how multicultural it was, so the Pokémon are based on things from all over the world, such as French nobility (Serperior), a character from the Chinese novel Journey to the West (Emboar), samurai (Samurott), daruma dolls (Darumaka), sarcophagi (Cofagrigus), et cetera.
Can anyone think of any other examples?

Gen 3 is about duality/opposites of course: Two villanous teams which opposing goals, Kyogre vs Groundon, introduced double battles.

Gen 3 is about duality/opposites of course: Two villanous teams which opposing goals, Kyogre vs Groundon, introduced double battles.
But how is that expressed in Pokémon? There's Beautifly and Dustox, Plusle and Minun, Lunatone and Solrock, Latios and Latias...

Odd-numbered generations focus on relationships between its Pokemon, while even-numbered focus on improving previously known Pokemon.
Kanto has a lot of kaiju inspired mons, as well as many artificial ones, so there could be a theme there about post-war Japan.
Alola Pokemon have an scarcity of Ice-type and Dark-type Pokemon, which are provided by the Alolan forms, I think that represents the invasion theme which is present in the game's plot.

Kanto has a lot of kaiju inspired mons, as well as many artificial ones, so there could be a theme there about post-war Japan.
Which reminds me, Tyranitar is one of the more Gen 1-looking Gen 2 Pokémon. Anyone remember that Reddit post from 2017 about how less and less Pokémon have triangle eyes over time?
Alola Pokemon have an scarcity of Ice-type and Dark-type Pokemon, which are provided by the Alolan forms, I think that represents the invasion theme which is present in the game's plot.
Come to think of it, the only non-Alola Forme Dark-type I can think of from Gen 7 is Guzzlord, which is an alien. Also, all of the Alolan formes have types that were rare or nonexistent in Gen 1, except for Raichu.

What words would you guys use to describe each region/generation?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom