• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[THEORY] 5 move slots in Sun/Moon?

Reaction score
So there's a theory flying around on the internet that in Sun/Moon Pokémon will have access to 5 moves instead of 4. This theory is based on the following picture which shows the moves summary:

image-2.jpeg

The background striping seems to suggest there's 5 move slots. It's also fun to note that Professor Kukui studies Pokémon moves, which could hint at something new happening regarding to moves.

Other theories regarding the 5th slot:
  • It's for HM's (meaning that every Pokémon can learn only one and that they can't be used in battle).
  • It's for something Mega- or Synchro-related.
  • It's for items.
  • This screen will also be used when a Pokémon learns a move and thus showing 5 moves of which you have to delete one.
For reference, here's the moves screen during battle, which doesn't seem to show room for a fifth move:

image-3.jpeg

What do you think about this? Will we really get 5 moves or is that fifth slot something else?

Also: do you think having 5 moves in the game is a good or bad idea and why?

If you look at that first picture the 1 isn't lined up with Tackle and it's a little higher making it look like there's more room then there actually is.

no5spaces.png

As you can see, once everything is filled in there's no 5th space at all.

The white space is a little iffy, but that could just mean there's a bigger character limit and there's going to be attacks with super long names.

Even so, I'd really like a 5th move slot! Anything to shake it up a little, or make me stop deleting Agility. :(

But I agree with the above post: Pokemon move names are getting longer, like Core Punisher, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves.

I think you might be on to something Soki. We know that the professor is studying Pokémon moves and usually whatever the professor is researching ties into the plot or a new mechanic, so it could happen.

I think you might be on to something Soki. We know that the professor is studying Pokémon moves and usually whatever the professor is researching ties into the plot or a new mechanic, so it could happen.

Oh this isn't my theory at all, just stole it from the internet :p Thought it might make for interesting discussion. I do hope it's true because having 5 moves now would be a huge game changer and I'd love that. Would be very welcome if the extra slot was used for HM's too.

Cute Charm did a good job on showing how it's probably not true though :( However, I'm still confused why the first white space seems to be larger than the other ones beneath it...

Honestly, I think a fifth moveslot would REALLY change the game. So much of competitive play and in-game team balancing revolves around the four move slot limit and how to work with it, so changing it would really shake things up. An extra move slot doesn't sound much, but it opens a plethora of incredible opportunities for strategies.

I personally think it could be for a held item, but it's all speculation at this point.

What if the move and the "effective" title swap sides every other line? Like in line two, instead of reading "Tackle" and then after the number "Effective" it read "Effective" and then "Tackle". It's hard to tell if that would make a difference, I can't pull a Cute Charm at the moment lol. But it might make more room for a fifth line and it's odd that the numbers are offset like that.

If you look at that first picture the 1 isn't lined up with Tackle and it's a little higher making it look like there's more room then there actually is.

The white space is a little iffy, but that could just mean there's a bigger character limit and there's going to be attacks with super long names.
I love quality posts like this.

It is a bit misleading, but unfortunately I agree that we'll still be limited to 4 moves. And that's probably a good thing. Changing stats, adding evolutions, maybe some new abilities. These are all significant changes, but they are managable. But adding in a fifth move all of a sudden changed the entire balance of the game. Pokemon like, say, Lucario and Gallade and Aegislash suffer heavily from four move slot syndrome. If they gained access to a fifth move it would give them superior coverage and make them even more powerful than they already are.

Mega Lucario with five moves would be a nightmare to deal with.

But hey, that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

I don't think we'll get five moves officially, but it is nonetheless fun to think about.

Say, what if you have your four usual moves plus a fifth 'backup' move which can be anything the Pokemon is capable of relearning, but it only has one use?

If there is a fifth slot, it would be for Fusion Evolution or whatever it will be called. I highly doubt a fifth move since it just screams OP to me. People want difficulty options, so this fifth move would make the game possibly even more easier.

If there is a fifth slot, it would be for Fusion Evolution or whatever it will be called. I highly doubt a fifth move since it just screams OP to me. People want difficulty options, so this fifth move would make the game possibly even more easier.

Don't forget your opponents would have five move slots too, so it could actually make the game harder.

I think we should keep to the four move slots. Imagine Mega Rayquaza gaining access to a fifth move?! That would seriously unbalance the games in my opinion.

I think we should keep to the four move slots. Imagine Mega Rayquaza gaining access to a fifth move?! That would seriously unbalance the games in my opinion.
Implying that Mega Ray doesn't already do that? :p

But you're right, that's something the designers would have to consider. Opening up a lot of pokemon to extra moves means that more pokemon can cover more threats. If anything, it may actually lead to more centralization of the metagame.

I agree that this would be bad for competitive. Four moveslot syndrome (4MSS) functions as a check to many strong/annoying Pokemon and plays a huge role in determining level of viability. It's even kept certain Pokemon from being banned to Ubers in some cases. I'm sure Stall teams would particularly enjoy having access to another status move or Knock Off as well.

The numbers don't have to be aligned since they aren't indicative of the space the moves are taking up...its counting the number of alternating "light greed/dark green" stripes that are available. Aligning it to the stripes, you get the 5 moves the person is talking about:
l7Tf7wh.png

You could argue the space is a bit tight, but there isn't much room between Ledyba and its type icon either. It also makes more sense for the text to be aligned to the alternating stripes rather than what you're showing.

Do I think they're going to have four moves? No. There doesn't seem to be space in the battle screen--but we do know that they still have to fit the "Mega Evolution" button somewhere.

Awhile back I was speculating that a new method of evolution could result in a move changing mid-battle. Perhaps new evolutions and form changes will also have access to secret moves, and in the battle screen, it will be placed where the Mega Evolution button used to be. Perhaps the new slot is with respect to the new evolution method "breaking the limits" in terms of how many moves a Pokemon can know.

We know Professor Kukui studies Pokemon moves. We also know that there seems to be a new evolution mechanic--why would the regional professor research not be related to the games new mechanic? In Gen II, we were introduced to breeding. Professor Elm's research revolved around Eggs. When Gen VI introduced Mega Evolution, Sycamore's research was directly on Mega Evolution.

Last edited:
As a semi-frequent competitive battler, this is a scary prospect. I really do hope that we're just misinterpretating some entirely separate new mechanic here. Even if this fifth moveslot is exclusively for HM moves, Surf and Waterfall are both good moves on their own and I'm not sure if I'd want to be seeing stuff like Azumarill, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Sharpedo abusing this aspect of convenience...

But if they need to have a button for Mega Evolution, where would they place Fusion Evolution if we do have such a mechanic?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom